Body wood photo

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Body wood photo
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Doug Keppler, Fredon NJ on Thursday, July 28, 2016 - 06:17 pm:

My 24 Touring sills and pillars from Cubel Fordwood. They did an awesome job. What's nice about these guys is you can order just the pieces you need. Every other company only sells the entire kit.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By charley shaver- liberal,mo. on Thursday, July 28, 2016 - 06:39 pm:

more oak & ash. dont drive any nails without drilling firsts. good luck. charley

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Lloid on Thursday, July 28, 2016 - 11:54 pm:

Looks great...
Tim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By charley shaver- liberal,mo. on Friday, July 29, 2016 - 07:48 am:

buy the way i started wooding bodies in 1976 done about 300 +. our name is still shavers Restoration shop. liberal, mo.if you make a good product & do good work, you wont have to change your name!!!!!!!!!!!!!. charley

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Friday, July 29, 2016 - 09:07 am:

Good luck with your car Doug. I have used 2 of the Fordwood kits over the years which worked out fine.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Friday, July 29, 2016 - 12:55 pm:

IMHO, Oak is a terrible wood to use for body wood--other than roof bows. Oak is open-grained, will split and weather badly. Good Ash is fine, but very hard to find. I would use a closed-grain wood, and not necessarily hardwood (Hardwood is defined as a deciduous tree, Softwood is an evergreen--but this doesn't mean the wood is harder than another; for example, Cork is a Hardwood! (OK, most cork one sees is only barkwood, Cork lumber is probably very different)).
I have done a lot of body wood over the years, from Model Ts to Rolls Royces, and this is based on my experience with the woods I found in these vehicles.
But then, What do I know??
:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By charley shaver- liberal,mo. on Friday, July 29, 2016 - 01:39 pm:

sycamore is what i have always used it is a woven grain wood holds squerws & nails well.. it must be 1/4 sawed or it will warp when you dry it& it will take off about a 100 lbs on a touring over oak OR ash. the old ford needs as much help as it can get. ha. ha. charley

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration