OT - Starting to look more like it did when it left the factory, in 1907

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: OT - Starting to look more like it did when it left the factory, in 1907
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Eastern Nebraska on Thursday, July 28, 2016 - 07:01 pm:

Getting ready for the Early Ford Registry Tour (gathering) and New London MN to New Brighton Tour. Dean Y. spent a few days getting the front fenders on and a few things tweaked. I'm trying to finish the back fenders. In a few days I'll post pics with the single rumble and double tourer on in addition to the open deck. We'll have the choice of a two, three or four seater.

We expect two K tourings and the K roadster on the tours. Hope we are able to keep up with the Maxwells..........
:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker in Sumter SC on Thursday, July 28, 2016 - 07:19 pm:

Rob,

It is looking great! Have fun at the get together.

Respectfully submitted,

Hap l9l5 cut off

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Seth in Alabama on Thursday, July 28, 2016 - 07:25 pm:

Rob, maybe it's an optical illusion from the picture angle, but it sure looks like the drivers side spring perch for the front is much lower than the passenger side spring perch. Is there a reason for this? It looks like the car is level so I'm guessing it's intentional. Just wondering.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Thursday, July 28, 2016 - 07:36 pm:

(SIGH!)

I gotta go back out and get some more work done on the '15 runabout. (Came in due to the heat and needed a drink.)
Drive carefully, and enjoy, W2

(The K looks fantastic!)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Eastern Nebraska on Thursday, July 28, 2016 - 07:41 pm:

Hap, thank you.

Seth, I think it's an angle issue, due to the top perch curving down and outward. The left perch arm curves out and down, away from the camera, creating the optical illusion.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Eastern Nebraska on Thursday, July 28, 2016 - 07:58 pm:

Wayne, they're all good...... (old Ford's). Good luck with your runabout, and stay cool.

By the way, I think 15/16 runabouts with their cowl are one of the nicest looking brass cars out there.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Owens on Thursday, July 28, 2016 - 08:01 pm:

Rob, Wow what a beautiful car. Iam very glad that Ford made the K,s an that you and others are keeping them going. Strong, powerfull and stable. To bad more of them could not be found. I must get out and about in your neck of the woods to see this great car. Have fun, Scott Owens

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Thursday, July 28, 2016 - 08:03 pm:

Looking good, Rob! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Ryan on Thursday, July 28, 2016 - 08:20 pm:

Looking good Rob,almost matches your grain cart.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron Patterson-Nicholasville, Kentucky on Thursday, July 28, 2016 - 08:41 pm:

Rob
It is about damned time.
Ron

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By charley shaver- liberal,mo. on Thursday, July 28, 2016 - 10:12 pm:

rob! is that realy where you want to jack up that back wheel????? ha.ha. charley

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric Hylen- Central Minnesota on Thursday, July 28, 2016 - 10:31 pm:

Looks great!

What tome will the Early Ford tour depart Paynesville next Friday? I might be able to make it out for that one.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Eastern Nebraska on Friday, July 29, 2016 - 12:16 am:

Eric,
This is what Brice V. S. has put together:

Friday: 46 miles.
Paynesville to Jillís in Richmond for lunch. 27 miles.
Richmond to Paynesville via Roscoe watering hole, MDs. 19 miles.

I wouldn't' expect us to leave before 10:30.

Charley, why not? :-)

Ron, the Ocean to Ocean Model K, owned by Ford Motor Company, stripped of fenders and apron:

This was the Ford Model K probably seen by as many people as any other example. And that was 1909, without fenders and aprons.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C on Friday, July 29, 2016 - 01:00 am:

And then YOU show a pic of the Ocean To Ocean car! Like yours has been for so long already before those consarned fenders... I was wishing to see that with my own eyes.
Would be a bearcat in the rain or on a wet road tho... I get it. :-)
I still may be able to see it when you folks are in Paynesville! I am so far beyond anxious!
On another note... Why do those "eyeballs" look so big as if your K has thick glasses on?
Duh Duane, to help that 6-40 K see.
Lotta great little towns over there!
Aha! If a Tall greying man is drooling (NOT touching) over the Fords in the parking lot next Friday morning, it's just me and whoever else I can sucker into going with me to teach them something cool.
Babbling stopped.
Thank you.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Friday, July 29, 2016 - 09:23 am:

Rob -- She looks real spiffy "all dressed up." :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Friday, July 29, 2016 - 09:55 am:

She's a looker!! Bud.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Schreiber- Santa Isabel Ecuador on Friday, July 29, 2016 - 10:40 am:

Looks great as usual and always nice to have seating options :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Gumbinger, Kenosha, WI on Friday, July 29, 2016 - 11:25 am:

Rob, It really looks great!!!

I wish I could come for the London to New Brighton event, but it won't be this year. Next year maybe.

Have fun and be safe.

Keith

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Laughary on Friday, July 29, 2016 - 03:11 pm:

Amazing cars that I had never even heard of before a few weeks ago.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rod Letcher - Eugene Oregon on Friday, July 29, 2016 - 06:11 pm:

That is one amazing car, the others in the background aren't exactly wall flowers either.
Well done!!

Rod

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Eastern Nebraska on Friday, July 29, 2016 - 08:46 pm:

Thanks guys. Keith, If you run over, we'll have room for you in several different early Fords.

Rod, the "Ford Runabout" seen in the background has an interesting pedigree. It is N number 3, with known history back to 1925. Unfortunately, it is overshadowed by K number 823. :-)

I'm finding out I'm not a good body man. The fenders needed work and paint, so I'm trying to match paint and fill in blemishes. Unfortunately, my skills aren't too good in that arena, so the car may not look too good up close.

Regardless, I hope we're able to make the entire tour. My 93 year old father is failing, so schedules are tentative.

For anyone who has the opportunity, the Early Ford Registry gathering and New London to New Brighton Tour are among the best events to attend I've ever participated in. Hope to see many of you there.
Rob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Thomas A. Voltz on Friday, July 29, 2016 - 09:09 pm:

Rob, Can't wait to see your updated K at the OCF this September. It looks great with fenders on.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Eastern Nebraska on Friday, July 29, 2016 - 10:57 pm:

Tom,
Thanks. We'll have to take it for a spin. I think one of the contests at OCF should be a hill climb. It could be a high gear low speed test (because I know Ford's would do well).

It looks like my 16 year old will be joining me on the Paynesville and New London To New Brighton tour this year (if circumstances allow).

She has had a couple experiences few people on this planet have, driving both the Model K touring and roadster. If you watch the videos, she was less than impressed..... :-)

Driving the touring as a 14 year old:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=E9Isa24YplE&feature=youtu.be

Driving the roadster as a 15 year old:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=e-HK8o0QrqI&feature=em-upload_owner

What I've learned about Henry Ford's Model K is that for one brief and shining moment, Ford Motor Company was not only a champion of the every day man, producing models N, R, S and T. For a moment in time, Ford also produced one of the fastest, most competitive cars known.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Eastern Nebraska on Saturday, July 30, 2016 - 11:10 pm:

They're on.......

Now the battery box and acetylene tank. The old paint will need a little polish to come closer to a match:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Ohio on Sunday, July 31, 2016 - 06:51 am:

It is beautiful....how long did it take the girls to get it all cleaned up? :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Sunday, July 31, 2016 - 08:07 am:

Neat!

Did Model Ks come from the Ford factory with any pinstriping?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Gumbinger, Kenosha, WI on Sunday, July 31, 2016 - 08:44 am:

Rob, It's really lookin' good!

Keith

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Sunday, July 31, 2016 - 10:04 am:

Gee Rob,Wherever will you find such a hill?? The beauty of a model K or 640 is not in the paint or brass,it's in the usable power of the six and the two speed planetary trans with the smooth quiet shifting! The owner see's to it this car is not roped in but in use!! Good on ya and we hope to see you at the OCF!! Bud.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Warren on Sunday, July 31, 2016 - 01:23 pm:

Let me think about it, would a model k keep up with a 12 hp two cylinder Maxwell, now that is a tough one :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Eastern Nebraska on Sunday, July 31, 2016 - 02:49 pm:

Denny, I'm saving their help for the brass..... :-)

Mark, yes, all the pre-T models had pinstripping. Oor N is a dark maroon, with thin black pinstripping, so it's difficult to see.

Keith, thank you.

Ken, are you ready for another ride up that hill at OCF?

John, one would hope so. Of course, Eric Hylen will have his Maxwell tuned to perfection at New London and be ready to run with the big dogs.

Almost ready to go for Minnesota. The paint isn't perfect, and there are a few rough edges, but we are definitely versatile:

This was a Ford dealer owned K "tourer" that made a record run from Oklahoma City to Kansas City in September 1908. Minus the mud and sign, they look similar:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Sunday, July 31, 2016 - 04:24 pm:

Way too neat!
Boy! Talk about the versatile horseless carriage! That is about as close to the perfect and incredible post-London/Brighton pre-T-Ford era car as any car can get!
Thank you for sharing the progress and pictures.
Drive carefully, and do enjoy that beauty! W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Sunday, July 31, 2016 - 07:19 pm:

Looking good, Rob! I think the fenders add some "swoopiness" to the car's very nice design.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Eastern Nebraska on Sunday, July 31, 2016 - 09:14 pm:

Wayne,
The main reason I sold the touring to buy the roadster was due to versatility. I thought with the faster, sportier roadster, we could make it a "double tourer," three seater or two man car. Additionally, with two inch larger tires and less weight, it is essentially geared higher, with better weight to horsepower ratio.

So far, I've been happy with the move. The only thing better would have been if I could have kept both. Trouble is, I could only have kept half of each.............. :-(

Mike, Thanks, I'm starting to get used to it too. It sure seems like a lot larger car when driving, just because you look out over the long hood and wide flat front fenders. It's also quieter, because the fenders and aprons dampen the engine noise (not sure if I like that or not....).

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John P. Steele on Sunday, July 31, 2016 - 10:57 pm:

Rob it's only money. :-) Car looks great, I like the look with fenders.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Monday, August 01, 2016 - 12:57 am:

A good friend of mine has a beautiful custom built Marmon roadster. Just a few years newer than the model K (still HCCA). I got to sit in it one day, while he and another friend stood back to see how good I looked in it (yeah, right). The car is SO-O huge (remember, this is a roadster), they had me hold a tape measure to my nose while they measured forward to the motometer. From a comfortable sit behind the steering wheel, it was almost exactly nine feet to the center of the motometer.
I bet your K comes pretty close!
A fantastic horseless carriage!
Drive carefully, and do enjoy! W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric Hylen- Central Minnesota on Monday, August 01, 2016 - 10:51 pm:

Rob,
Ready to run with the big dogs? I am the big dog. :-)

I'm so confident of my little Maxwell's 14 hp motor that I promise to keep it under 32 mph the whole week, just to be sure I don't intimidate anyone. Of course, I'm sure I could get it to go 70 mph if I picked it up and set it on the hood of your 6-40.

I'll probably drive my '14 T out to Richmond on Friday and meet up with you and the rest of the EFR folks for lunch.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Townsend ; ^ ) Gresham, Orygun on Monday, August 01, 2016 - 11:55 pm:

Rob-
Your car is very handsome and looks like it is doing a mile a minute just standing still!
Well done!

: ^ )

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Tuesday, August 02, 2016 - 02:31 am:

Wayne,
Are you saying you have a "Jimmy Durante" nose???
The better to split the wind while racing, right??
Rob, Love the K!! You have done so much to repair its unearned reputation!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Tuesday, August 02, 2016 - 02:48 am:

LOL!!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Eastern Nebraska on Tuesday, August 02, 2016 - 08:03 pm:

Thanks for all the kind comments. Eric, see you Friday.

A few more pics. After I took these, the acetylene tank was added and the lights are working again. A good bath and service and we'll be ready to load tomorrow. Leaving for Minnesota early Thursday morning:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Tuesday, August 02, 2016 - 09:03 pm:

Looks great! :-)

Will you be bringing it to Hershey this year?

Hope to see you and the K there.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Eastern Nebraska on Wednesday, August 03, 2016 - 02:54 pm:

Mark,
Thank you. I hope to have the K there this year. We'll be by Carl Pate's space where the Early Ford Registry meet (behind Restoration Supply tent).

See you there.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Eastern Nebraska on Wednesday, August 03, 2016 - 10:49 pm:

Loaded and ready to go. By tomorrow evening there should be several early Ford's including one or two 1909 Ts in Paynsville MN. There should also be three Model K, a Model A, C, S and two F:

(Message edited by Rob on August 03, 2016)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Timothy Kelly on Thursday, August 04, 2016 - 12:20 am:

Rob:

A few more cars arrived in Paynesville today.

I brought the K and the A.

The owner of the expected C arrived, but without the C. He brought a brand X.

By tomorrow the place should be humming with early Fords!

Timothy

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Thursday, August 04, 2016 - 01:54 am:

All you people, HAVE A WONDERFUL and SAFE TIME!

I look forward to lots of tour reports and photos from the sequence of major events!
Drive carefully, and do enjoy those early cars! W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Eastern Nebraska on Thursday, August 04, 2016 - 08:12 am:

Wayne, hope to have several pics and stories soon.......

Tim, Omaha at 7:00 a.m.. Only seven more hours.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration