Uh-oh! Put another nickel in.

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Uh-oh! Put another nickel in.
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Thursday, July 28, 2016 - 09:34 pm:

I hadn't gone far on my evening drive when white "smoke" started coming out from under the hood. I hope it didn't get hot enough to do any damage.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Laughary on Thursday, July 28, 2016 - 10:40 pm:

Steam? Head gasket?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Thomas Mullin on Thursday, July 28, 2016 - 10:48 pm:

I use Canadian nickels for my freeze plugs, they cost less than US nickels.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Lloid on Thursday, July 28, 2016 - 10:54 pm:

She will be fine they are tough.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Friday, July 29, 2016 - 02:40 am:

Steve, You will have to start calling that car the "Nickelodeon"!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan B on Friday, July 29, 2016 - 05:59 am:

Will you be putting a freeze plug or a nickel back in?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-SE Georgia on Friday, July 29, 2016 - 07:52 am:

Dan, do freeze plugs cost more than a nickel? That will be the determining factor.:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Garrison - Rice Minnesota on Friday, July 29, 2016 - 07:58 am:

Ha, is it possible to buy just one freeze plug? I hope no damage was done and you're able to get it fixed without issues.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Friday, July 29, 2016 - 08:20 am:

Freeze plugs cost way more than a nickel each, plus if I recall Steve has a small bucket full of indian head nickels, so I'm betting the decision is made! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dale L Myers on Friday, July 29, 2016 - 08:53 am:

It's obvious to me that this was caused by that "witch's brew" you put in the crankcase at the last oil change.

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/599638/658915.html?1468551638

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Friday, July 29, 2016 - 12:32 pm:

Yes, new ones do cost more than a nickel, unless you buy the steel ones that will rust out. Mark is right about the decision being made. I don't have a bucket full, but I do have a small bag of them I bought at Hershey a couple of years ago.

This morning when I set about replacing the lost plug I found this in the hole.

A couple of things about this are mystifying. Obviously it's not a plug, so why was it in there? I also wonder how I went through the whole engine overhaul, which took several months, without ever noticing this.

Anyway, the replacement is in. I hope I drove it in tight enough to stay and used enough Permatex to keep it from leaking.

I have learned my lesson from this. From now on I'll use only Socony Gargoyle motor oil. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert G. Hester Jr., Riverview, FL on Friday, July 29, 2016 - 12:57 pm:

Aww Steve, you could've just whittled out a wooden stob and drove in there and saved your nickel. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Noel D. Chicoine, MD, Pierre, SD on Friday, July 29, 2016 - 01:48 pm:

I thought Steve would have mashed a penny larger to save 4 cents. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dean Kiefer - Adams, MN on Friday, July 29, 2016 - 02:22 pm:

It looks like the guy before Steve was even more thrifty and used a bottle cap.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Garrison - Rice Minnesota on Friday, July 29, 2016 - 02:46 pm:

That's a fine looking plug. And now it's worth more than a plug nickel.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Schreiber- Santa Isabel Ecuador on Friday, July 29, 2016 - 03:05 pm:

I'm going with Dean's bottle cap suggestion

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Friday, July 29, 2016 - 07:58 pm:

It happened to my dad on a somewhat long trip in our 1922 in the mid 50's
A guy at an old gas station cut the handle off an old broom, whittled the end down, and made a temp freeze plug.
We finished the trip and it was few weeks before dad replaced the broom handle with a nickel

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank van Ekeren (Australia) on Friday, July 29, 2016 - 08:24 pm:

In order for a welch plug/expansion plug, core plug or as some call it a freeze plug to stay in the block, it needs to be expanded.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Friday, July 29, 2016 - 09:05 pm:

When i read the title i was expecting a song from Teresa Brewer!! Bud.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Friday, July 29, 2016 - 10:11 pm:

Here you go Bud. :-)
https://video.search.yahoo.com/search/video?fr=tightropetb&p=Put+another+nickel+ in#id=1&vid=d9a209ab1e4ec3eec7fff513d958b7a0&action=view

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Jensen on Friday, July 29, 2016 - 10:56 pm:

The freeze plug on mine failed on the way home from a car show on Father's Day. I was about 12 miles from home when the temperature went up on the Motometer, and when I found a spot to pull over and open the hood the last of the antifreeze was running down the side of the block. It was a very hot weekend here in Arizona at 115. Several people stopped to see if I would be okay waiting for the tow truck. One couple stopped and let me wait in their car with the air conditioning running. The wife had inherited her father's '21 Dodge Brothers roadster. You do meet the nicest people when you drive an antique car. I put a modern nickel in and it has been holding for a month now.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Saturday, July 30, 2016 - 09:02 am:

Thank you Jay!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Bud.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Saturday, July 30, 2016 - 10:12 am:

http://www.phrases.org.uk/meanings/260800.html :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Monday, August 01, 2016 - 11:39 pm:

The adventure continues. After replacing the failed middle plug, I found coolant leaking out around the front one. I tried just smearing Permatex around the outer edge and letting it set. That didn't stop it, so I removed the old plug.

This is a bit out of focus, but it shows that behind the plug was what appears to be the remains of a thin metal "bottle cap".

There was less of this one than what I found behind the other plug.

A magnet showed that these things are not a ferrous metal. So I thought maybe brass. But when I hit it with a small grinder I found not any kind of metal at all, but a white powder like plaster. Calcium deposits? Nope. Soaking in CLR did nothing. So I am stumped.

Anyway, I removed all traces of the mystery item and set about installing a new plug.

I thought a piece of an old junk spoke would be good for driving in the new plug without marring the surface. Nope. It didn't convey enough force to spread the plug. So I went back the the old reliable brass drift.

So the new plug is in and I'm letting it sit overnight for the sealant to set up. I hope this is the end of the adventure. I have other things to do.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Tuesday, August 02, 2016 - 01:38 am:

Uh, Steve, what about the third plug, if the first two are strange, it's likely the third one is too. . . .
Just Sayin'!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Tuesday, August 02, 2016 - 02:59 am:

Is that a three-legged buffalo?

Numismatists around the world are quickly looking twice!

David D, I was thinking the same thing.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Tuesday, August 02, 2016 - 10:03 am:

At this point the rear plug leaking too wouldn't surprise me. I'll keep an eye on it and see what happens.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tony Bowker, Ramona, CA on Tuesday, August 02, 2016 - 10:43 am:

Why not replace the third one right now, eliminate the hassle of breaking down miles from home?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Tuesday, August 02, 2016 - 11:45 am:

Steve; did you keep the orientation of the one Indian in the back looking at the 2 buffalo?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Tuesday, August 02, 2016 - 01:33 pm:

Now it's two chiefs looking at a single bison.

Tony, I may do that. I'd sure like to know what that odd stuff behind the plugs is.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration