Cranks

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Cranks
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry Davis Houston TX on Thursday, July 28, 2016 - 10:04 pm:

Has any body out there had any luck with "metalizing" "plating" or what ever one calls it "rebuilding" old cranks to original OD's rods and mains? Thanks, Jerry.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Thursday, July 28, 2016 - 10:24 pm:

You can do that but it is in general very risky and unreliable. For the same money you can buy a new crankshaft.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Putnam, Bluffton, Ohio on Thursday, July 28, 2016 - 10:40 pm:

IMO if done correctly it will last on crankshafts. It will not work on axle shafts. I have had it done for the last 28 years on many, many crankshafts and never a failure. It cost about $40 per journal. I use a shop that specializes in metalizing.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Rose on Thursday, July 28, 2016 - 10:53 pm:

I broke an axle in an International 1/2 ton pickup and could not find one for it. I welded is with 7018 rod and it ran for 5 years till I sold it.
I knew an old blacksmith who said he welded lots of springs in his forge until someone told him that it would not work.
I was reading about the New York to Paris race and the driver described breaking an axle, in the 1910 Thomas Flyer, in the middle of Russia. He had it forged welded and drove on to Paris.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration