Stock rod journal diameter?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Stock rod journal diameter?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Laughary on Thursday, July 28, 2016 - 11:06 pm:

Rod #4 isn't off yet but I want to be prepared to order the correct size rod diameters.

Should I just measure the journals?

I noticed the vendors offer sizes based on how much has been removed from stock.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Daron - Brownsburg IN on Thursday, July 28, 2016 - 11:10 pm:

Don't resize crank journals,unless it is needed.The originals tend to get egg shaped after time so measure well before you grind.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Garrison - Rice Minnesota on Thursday, July 28, 2016 - 11:24 pm:

Chris, are you planning to replace your rods and caps? Has your engine ever been rebuilt? Are there shims currently between your caps and rods? Have you measured any of the rod diameters? Has your crankshaft already been reground during a previous rebuild? Are you currently running aluminum or cast iron pistons? Did you have rods knocking? Which rods were knocking? When did the knock show up (during idle? when revving motor? When lugging engine? Etc)? Have you checked any of the main bearing clearances with plastigage? Be aware of the optimum amount of rod/cap side clearance. Please be sure to check rod journals for "egg shape".

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Laughary on Friday, July 29, 2016 - 12:38 am:

Not sure yet, but wondering what numbers to expect for stock journal size.

Shims are all gone but was able to file rods 1-3 so far with plenty of Babbitt left

Knocks mostly on deceleration and in low at 12 mph +

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank van Ekeren (Australia) on Friday, July 29, 2016 - 12:46 am:

STD is 1.248"
If engine is original to Ford, it would not have had rod shims.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Laughary on Friday, July 29, 2016 - 01:09 am:

Thank You

I will measure after this busy weekend in my limos and partybuses.

Nashville is the nation's #1 destination for bachelorette parties.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Hagerty on Friday, July 29, 2016 - 01:32 am:

Redneck women...ain't no High class broads???
(Gretchen Wilson)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Laughary on Friday, July 29, 2016 - 01:47 am:

Ha

Nashville is also now "the darling of every Beverly Hills wife" so I get to spend time with lots of celebrities.

Tomorrow, I'm told, I will be touring Chattanooga with a supermodel. Maybe I can talk her into visiting the Coker Museum. They book every trip under fake names, so I won't know who she is until I meet her.

It's a tough semi-retirement life but somebody has to do it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Hagerty on Friday, July 29, 2016 - 02:15 am:

Yes, I feel real bad for you.... just think, someone
has it worse! That 'beauty' is often only skin deep.
I've encountered a few that had the personality of a rattlesnake! Ha!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Laughary on Friday, July 29, 2016 - 03:17 pm:

It is true that many celebrities are not the happiest people, but I enjoyed cheering them up.

James Brown tried to be rude to me once many years ago, but I just smiled sincerely and looked him in the eye, as if asking "really?" and his entourage chose my side of the conversation. He faced off with me and then spun away on his heel, saying "you're a good man!" as he turned.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration