FJ - The Stutz Bearcat Barn Find That Got Away

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: FJ - The Stutz Bearcat Barn Find That Got Away
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Freighter Jim on Friday, July 29, 2016 - 07:38 am:

This is Brian - he lives in Savannah, GA.

Just an average nice guy ...

I met him a few months ago when I dropped off his Model A Hot Rod project car I had picked up in Spokane, WA.

He told me his story about the one that " got away " ...

" Barn Finds " not only do exist - average guys sometimes get a once in a lifetime opportunity to buy one.

In Brian's case - he could not come up with the money before Wayne Carini bought it ...

If you watch " Chasing Classic Cars " you might have caught the episode on this vehicle.

What was not told on the show - this Stutz was known about for at least (2) years before Wayne bought it.

Brians' story is here on the HAMB:

@ http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/lost-a-stutz-to-the-pros.973406/

The Stutz Bearcat is slated for a Bonham's auction in August:

@ http://www.bonhams.com/auctions/23425/lot/84/?category=list&length=10&page=9

Freighter Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Laughary on Friday, July 29, 2016 - 08:50 am:

I remember that episode. Didn't the Stutz have a slot for storing your golf clubs?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed in California on Friday, July 29, 2016 - 08:51 am:

So....it was bought for 30k....knowing that it will fetch 250,000 at auction....hmmmm....It pays to know your values as a seller and a buyer doesn't it

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Friday, July 29, 2016 - 08:55 am:

Jim, thanks for posting this. The Stutz is amazing. What a treat to see these great pictures of a truly wonderful car.
Rich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Freighter Jim on Friday, July 29, 2016 - 09:16 am:

Ed,

You caught that too ....

If you look at the complete Bonham August Catalog,
the Stutz Bearcat is the only vehicle listed (to my knowledge) that has no auction estimate.

Freighter Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Freighter Jim on Friday, July 29, 2016 - 09:19 am:

Richard,

Thanks for the comment.

It amazes me what I run across in the course of my day to day travels.

Freighter Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Friday, July 29, 2016 - 10:33 am:

I'm pleased that you share your finds here on the forum. The Stutz reminded me of one in the A. K. Miller collection. Miller was almost a Hermit with a dozen or so old unrestored Stutz cars squirreled away in sheds on his property. Bill Harrah and several others tried to buy them but had no luck negotiating with the fellow. Automobile Quarterly had a terrific article on the cars. (Vol. 36 No. 3 1997) I did a small painting and thought it was the same car but apparently not. The rear windows are different.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Eastern Nebraska on Friday, July 29, 2016 - 11:03 am:

Jim, great thread. I happened to catch the "Chasing Classic Cars" episode of this car. Quite interesting to learn more about this remarkable survivor.
Thank you for posting.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Todd, ............Red Deer, Alberta on Friday, July 29, 2016 - 11:41 am:

" The Stutz reminded me of one in the A. K. Miller collection."

http://coolcatcorp.com/millerauction/MillerAuction.html

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Mazza on Friday, July 29, 2016 - 11:52 am:

Rich, leno owns that car. Now fully restored due to severe rot. There are several articles about Mr miller. He stashed gold bullion under wood piles! Great stories!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Phil Lawrence - Nevada City, CA on Friday, July 29, 2016 - 11:59 am:

The episode showing the Stutz was shown last night, very interesting story. It took quite a bit of work and I'm sure a good deal of money to get it back together and in running condition.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration