I need a 30 x 3.5 wheel

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: I need a 30 x 3.5 wheel
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Laughary on Friday, July 29, 2016 - 10:37 am:

While my car is up on jackstands I spun the front wheels and discovered the driver side wheel is a bit cattywumpus.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Friday, July 29, 2016 - 11:17 am:

Might just be the front bearings need a tune up.

Those need to be inspected and greased occasionally.

Or the demountable rim bolts may be tightened to true the rim.

Test first the bearings, do that on jack stands, then fit a wooden wedge between the spindle and axle yoke. That will lock the spindle in place so the test of the wheel bearings will be void of any spindle king pin/bushing wobble.

If the bearings wiggle, you have to fix those.

Now test the wheel run-out by removing the tire/rim and place a chalk marker on a fixed stick, and rotate the wheel do see if the felloe is out of whack. The fix is a better wheel.

If the rim is bent, and the tire/rim run-out is excessive when back on the fellow, you can place a shim on the side of the felloe to rim/rim bolt to space the rim/tire back into somewhat better rotation.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Laughary on Friday, July 29, 2016 - 02:31 pm:

Thank You

There's no play in the bearings so I will move on to removing Lugnuts next.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Friday, July 29, 2016 - 04:47 pm:

Also make sure the nuts on all of the hub flange bolts are tight. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ted Dumas on Friday, July 29, 2016 - 05:17 pm:

Wood wheels can wander a bit as you rotate them and still be just fine. If your spokes are good then I wouldn't be overly concerned,

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Laughary on Friday, July 29, 2016 - 05:23 pm:

Ok
Thank You

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration