Help with rear outer bearing

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Help with rear outer bearing
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Darren Lloyd on Friday, July 29, 2016 - 12:01 pm:

Good day.
I have read tips and suggestions here lots and it been great. This is my first post and I would be grateful for some help.

I have bad otter wheel bearing in the rear differential (See pictures attached). On my 1927 Model T Depot Hack. I am struggling to get them out as they have started to come apart inside the housing. I have very limited space to work and really do not want to have to split the rear end. I would like to get them out and replace them with (https://www.modeltford.com/item/2508ORB.aspx) from Langs. Can anyone give me a tip?

Thank you
DARREN

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Friday, July 29, 2016 - 12:07 pm:

It is some sort of ball bearing conversion - no telling how to get it out. Good luck.....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Wetherbee - Downeast Maine on Friday, July 29, 2016 - 12:25 pm:

Start by removing the grease cup - some of those home-built conversions used either a set-screw inside the grease fitting or the fitting itself to secure the bearing - then if it does not go easily, I'd try a dent puller with a homemade hook on the bearing itself if your plans are to replace it anyhow. May even try to weld something there to pull on...

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ted Dumas on Friday, July 29, 2016 - 12:27 pm:

Knock enough balls out or to the side and use a slide hammer hooked over the inner or outer race.
You might should pull the rear axle and check it out. Babbitt thrust washers can disintegrate letting the ring gear slide away from the pinion, usually breaking teeth on the pinion when it gets loaded.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Friday, July 29, 2016 - 12:29 pm:

Happy now Darren!!
Royce. I told him the same thing on Wednesday when I bumped into him at Princess Auto.
I just looked at what he is planning to use. It doesn't look any better in design. Maybe I'm wrong. I've been wrong before!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Hatch on Friday, July 29, 2016 - 12:56 pm:

Lot of those conversion make you cut the housing and the only thing that will go back in there is the same conversion. Find another rear end.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Friday, July 29, 2016 - 01:01 pm:

Mein Gott!!! Four hundred bucks a pair! You can buy a lot of good Hyatt bearings for that.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Colin Knowles - Moncton, New Brunswick on Friday, July 29, 2016 - 01:04 pm:

Take the rear axle out completely if what Mark says doesn't work. Slide the housing off the axle and then you should be able to get it out with a little persuasion from the back side. (big bar and a hammer). No need to ruin the housings. Worst case after removing the housing, bust out the inner portion of the bearing and weld a few beads of weld to the inside of the outer race. This will shrink the race and allow it to be tapped out easily. Be patient and don't try to rush it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Friday, July 29, 2016 - 01:21 pm:

If this is your first Model T, you may be unaware of this: http://dauntlessgeezer.com/DG79.html

Unless you know for sure what's inside that rear axle, I would urge you to figure out some way to open it up even if your space is limited. I was lucky that the only result for me was a locked-up wheel. It could have been a lot worse.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Cliff Colee on Friday, July 29, 2016 - 01:40 pm:

Is it me, or the angle of the photo, or is the axle showing a lot of wear in the area just outside the inner race?

Another option for replacement would be the floating safety hubs - a bit more expensive, but they do offer improvements in safety.....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Noel D. Chicoine, MD, Pierre, SD on Friday, July 29, 2016 - 01:45 pm:

again I'll put a plug in to put a metal tag attached to one of the pumpkin bolts stating when the rear end was rebuilt and when and with what the thrust washers were replaced. that way when the next custodian of the car gets it, there won't be a question.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Friday, July 29, 2016 - 02:02 pm:

The race or sleeve around the axle shaft has stampings on it - probably manufacturer and part number, etc.

Take down that information and then Google it. You may be able to see what you are dealing with in its naked state. Might make it easier to decide what to do.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration