21" tires again

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: 21" tires again
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Horlick in Penn Valley, CA on Friday, July 29, 2016 - 01:27 pm:

Well, it is time to replace 3 of Rusty's 21" tires. Last time I went with the Lucas and Universal nylons as the price was low and they were readily available.

My experience with these could have been better. First they were very difficult to install on the split rim. I actually broke my rim spreader and had to build another, also to buy an additional one. Even with the additional spreaders I never did get the rims completely expanded and have been running one with a slight lap at the split.

Because they never fit the rims correctly they have gone bump-bump down the road for years. In a heavy panic stop the nylons seem to easily transition from static to kinetic friction... in other words they skid when you brake hard, almost like driving on marbles.

This time around I want to go for the gusto and shake out some of the dents I have pinched into my pennies. I am going to go with an honest to god Polyester ply tires. Specifically Firestones or Goodrich tires. I assume they all are coming out of Vietnam now. A couple of suppliers want to sell them in sets of 4 only. You can pay extra to get singles. Vinyl tires are somewhere North of $400 + shipping, Polyesters north of $640 / set of 4. I was talking to the nice guy from Coker today. That is where I got the vinyl Universals long ago... they are moving almost all vinyls... but they do have 4 Polys in California available. After shipping, taxes, political bribes, and toxic waste imagined cost additions I could end up north of $860 for a set of 4 shoes!

So the reason for this rant? Is there any difference between Firestone and Goodrich in the blackwall plain Jane, 21" tires? Any ideas where the best price (with shipping) can be had. When I was a bit younger there were places like J.
c. Whitney, Montgomery Wards, and Pep Boys where a quality product could be had for a lower cost... anybody have knowledge of currently available values in good "safe" tires?

TH

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Friday, July 29, 2016 - 01:34 pm:

I haven't shopped for any 21" tires, but I would also talk to Universal, Wallace Wade, and Lucas Classic Tire.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bruce Kile ....San Jose CA on Friday, July 29, 2016 - 01:47 pm:

You can get FIRESTONE (Coker) tires from Summit Racing with delivery and no sales tax for around $160 each.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Longbranch,WA on Friday, July 29, 2016 - 02:24 pm:

Most 21" tires are made in the USA - Lucas does have an import 21" that is less expensive.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By JohnCodman on Friday, July 29, 2016 - 07:17 pm:

I guess that being ignorant sometimes is a good thing. I bought my T with four brand new 21" Firestones on it, but the right rear wheel had a 2 1/2" wobble. I took it off and discovered that whoever replaced the tires bent the sh-t out of the rim with a spreader. When I bought a new rim from Lang's and took things apart (I had a spare wheel which I rebuilt) there was no flap inside. This caused me to take each of the other four wheels (including the spare) apart. The only wheel that had a flap was the spare. The point of all of this is that I did it all with only two big screwdrivers once the rim was off the wheel . I may be missing something, but I don't see what the big deal is in changing a 21" tire.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard E Moore Jr. Pickwick lake Tenn. on Friday, July 29, 2016 - 08:15 pm:

21s a breeze compared to clinchers.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Friday, July 29, 2016 - 09:07 pm:

Terry,
When I put new shoes on Barney, I went down to Sac Vintage Ford and bought them right there, no shipping (I was in Sacramento for something else at the time, so 'free trip'. But, you do need to call ahead and make certain they have them in stock! I bought the Wards repros. Went on fine (but they are 30 x 3-1/2 tires)
The 21" are used on Model As too, so they are much more common and you should be able to get a good price.
BTW, that tire IS BALD! Why only 3 out of the 4 being bad???

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Horlick in Penn Valley, CA on Saturday, July 30, 2016 - 12:47 am:

David, you rode on 3 which look like that and a fourth almost like that... surprise!

I see Sac Vintage has a parking lot sale tomorrow. I guess I will be calling them.

Yes I was shocked at how difficult the mounting went last time... did distort the rims. That is a major reason I don't want nylon tires again. When I had a 1929 Buick with much larger truck balloon tires they were easy-peazy to mount. I figured T tires would be a snap... WRONG!

TH

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Saturday, July 30, 2016 - 01:47 am:

OK, I'll blame my lack of observation on the chocolate-zucchini brownies!!!
Somehow I don't think the make of the cord will make much of a difference, as unlike clincher tires, the bead on smooth side tires does not stretch.
But, what do I know??
:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Horlick in Penn Valley, CA on Saturday, July 30, 2016 - 05:31 pm:

No luck with Vintage Ford. Not only do they not have any 21" tires on the warehouse sale, they don't even have any in the store. They sell parts for T's and A's!

I guess I'm still shopping. TH

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Saturday, July 30, 2016 - 07:14 pm:

Sounds about right. I really don't like shopping there, that's just my opinion of their "quality" of products. When I bought my tires for Barney, I took all they had in stock! (four!) I think I just lucked out, and it took them some time to find the pair that was "in the stock area" the other two were out on their "candy store display". The malt they sold me was good though. . . . (yes, they have a period diner in their store. IMHO, their market target is Baby Boomer hot rodders & Yuppies.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration