Timing ??

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Timing ??
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Addington on Friday, July 29, 2016 - 02:54 pm:

I have read several posts and answers to the best method to set the initial timing. It appears that there are several ways to go about this. Beings that I do not have any of the gauges or tools to precisely set the timing, here is how I went about doing mine and I need to know if I am OK. I disconnected the advance rod from the commentator, turned the crank so the pin was at the 3:30--9:30 position. I then rotated the commentator by hand so as the coils just started to buzz. I scribed a mark on the commentator and the block, then after hooking the advance rod back up I bent the rod until at full retard on the lever my marks lined back up. Is this going to be OK? Thanks

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Laughary on Friday, July 29, 2016 - 03:09 pm:

I am no expert but I want to follow this thread to learn.

The last post I read mentioned putting piston number one just past top dead center of the compression before edging the lower pulley pin to the 3:30 positio, so that sounds like a potential 180 Variable.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Robison on Friday, July 29, 2016 - 03:14 pm:

http://www.spokanemodeltclub.com/how-to-time-a-model-t.php

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Dufault on Friday, July 29, 2016 - 03:41 pm:

Mike has the best method for "thick skinned me"...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Friday, July 29, 2016 - 03:42 pm:

Chris,

If you pull the #1 spark plug and shine a flashlight in the hole then you can see the valves. You set timing when both valves are closed.

I use a plastic straw so that I can feel when the #1 piston just starts to move downward with both valves closed. Then I adjust the timer rod length so that the spark occurs at exactly that place when slowly hand cranking the engine.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Friday, July 29, 2016 - 03:45 pm:

See the other post on timing.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Friday, July 29, 2016 - 04:16 pm:

My father and I timed the ignition on both our Model Ts based on piston travel the way Royce described above.

If you don't have a straw handy, heavy plastic line from a string trimmer or anything similar also works.

Frank Fenton had more detailed instructions for timing based on piston travel on his Frank's Timer Service/Anderson Timer website but unfortunately I believe they are no longer available since he sold the business.

(Message edited by Erik_johnson on July 29, 2016)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Friday, July 29, 2016 - 04:41 pm:

What you did is OK, but I believe going slightly past TDC is better. There are several descriptions of the procedure. Here's another. The only tool needed is pliers for the cotter pin.

http://dauntlessgeezer.com/DG97.html

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-SE Georgia on Friday, July 29, 2016 - 04:54 pm:

Steve A.,

You may or may not be OK. It depends on which way you were rotating the timer when the coils just began to buzz.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron Patterson-Nicholasville, Kentucky on Friday, July 29, 2016 - 07:13 pm:

Regardless of the procedure you use the factory setting for "initial timing" of the Model T was 15.5 degrees ATDC.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Bergmann Sydney - Australia on Friday, July 29, 2016 - 08:31 pm:

Another way to get just after top dead center - #1 spark plug out. With finger tip blocking plug hole. Hand crank until compression. Aim flashlight beam into spark plug hole so you can see the piston. Hand crank until piston comes all the way up and just starts to go down. ATDC achieved!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Bergmann Sydney - Australia on Saturday, July 30, 2016 - 01:33 am:

Should have said this is what I use for timing a disturbutor. If you have a timer, best to use
Steve's excellent guide above, which I read after posting my 2 cents.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Joe Van Evera in the U.P. of MI. on Saturday, July 30, 2016 - 08:15 am:

If you use the pulley pin/3:30 - 9:30 position would central time or mountain time make a difference????

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Garrison - Rice Minnesota on Saturday, July 30, 2016 - 08:31 am:

Well Joe, it all depends on the month of the year. With daylight Saving Time and allowing for the gravitational affect the moon has on the effectiveness of the magneto and the level of the fuel in the tank, if we're at high tide, then it's essential that you always use Mountain time.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Saturday, July 30, 2016 - 08:43 am:

I use the 9:30-3:30 method and Joe & Michael I love your humor. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Saturday, July 30, 2016 - 10:41 am:

I look in the hole, when I see the piston just go over past top dead canter, that's where I set the timing. Unless of course I am doing it on a moonless light then I use a flashlight to see in the hole.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Saturday, July 30, 2016 - 11:27 am:

I do the same as Mark, past TDC, just as the #1 piston start back down. It's easy to see the top of the piston through the spark plug hole.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron Patterson-Nicholasville, Kentucky on Saturday, July 30, 2016 - 11:38 am:

I should have elaborated upon my 15 degrees ATDC comment above; When the crank pin is at 9:00 and 3:00, one of the pistons is exactly at TDC. When the crank pin is at 9:30 and 3:30 one piston is at 15 degrees ATDC. I.e each 15 minutes travel of the hour hand is 7.5 crankshaft degrees.
The crank pin method is very easy to use on earlier Model T's, a little more difficult on later cars with the valence covering the bottom of the radiator and crank lever..

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Saturday, July 30, 2016 - 11:50 am:

To avoid confusion on the clock face analogy, we should explain that it refers to the hour hand, not he minute hand. 3:30 means halfway between 3 and 4, not straight down. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Garrison - Rice Minnesota on Saturday, July 30, 2016 - 08:58 pm:

Well, that's it then, I'm going to have to go back to Central Standard because Steve wanted to avoid confusion. Thanks Steve, thanks a lot! :-)

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration