Milling ezhaust manifold

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Milling ezhaust manifold
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Addington on Saturday, July 30, 2016 - 09:11 am:

My exhaust manifold has a small spot where it has been eroded slightly on the bottom of #2 port and I can not get it to seal. I am thinking about setting it up on the mill and just taking enough off of to clean it up then using the three in one gaskets. Any thoughts on this?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Saturday, July 30, 2016 - 10:34 am:

How are the threads, is it warped? A fun project but if the manifold is in bad shape re threads/warped then maybe you would be better off getting a new one or better one to start with.
Of course if you clean off one port you have to do them the other 3. :-) You still may be able to use the gland rings and copper crush gaskets. The pockets in the block may be deep enough to take the gland rings even with a little milled off the manifold. You may have to file or grind a little off the rings.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Saturday, July 30, 2016 - 08:47 pm:

Steve, if I had to make that repair, I would clean up the manifold and bronze the low area. A hand file would be enough to get it back into serviceable state. BUT, as Mark points out, other ares may mean a new one is the way to go.

You are right to correct the fault. Continual leaks may lead to erosion of the block face and then you have a real problem

Hope this helps.
Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Saturday, July 30, 2016 - 09:29 pm:

Important. All 4 ports should be in alignment. Put a straight edge along the holes. Usually a warped manifold will find #4 is lower than the other 3. In that case, you cannot get a good fit with the glands and if you leave out the glands, it will continue to sag as it gets hot and the weight at the rear of the manifold brings it down. If all 4 are in alignment and the threads for the exhaust nut are in good condition, then either milling the entire manifold or repairing the low spot will be OK. Be sure to use the glands whatever method you use. The rings seal best, but the 3 in one gaskets will work, but use the glands. A sagging manifold can be straightened, but for about $100 you can buy a brand new manifold.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Addington on Sunday, July 31, 2016 - 06:02 pm:

Thanks fellas, I am just going to order a new one and do it right.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration