Curious Problem with Timer

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Curious Problem with Timer
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Osterman on Saturday, July 30, 2016 - 11:46 am:

So yesterday I was out and about and the T started to miss in one cylinder. Chuffed home and went about trying to figure out why. I drive the car nearly every day and keep it tuned as best I can and never have problems on the road.

Number 1 was not hitting consistently. Plug was fouled.

Thought maybe it was one of my crappy coils. Switched coils and still not hitting all the time. Did a quick compression test (hard to hold the tester and crank at the same time) and all the cylinders seem to be around 50 lbs.

Started looking at wires and connections. Cleaned everything up.

Pulled the flapper style timer ... cleaned it out and discovered two different wear patterns. Have never had any trouble with the timer and always start with the crank on the second pull.

Thinking this might be the problem though not sure how it happened. I did clean it out about a month ago. Maybe I didn't tighten the retaining spring enough the last time I checked it. I hope that's the case .. and not some camshaft snafu.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration