Rod Dippers Arrived! Drill center or offset?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Rod Dippers Arrived! Drill center or offset?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Laughary on Saturday, July 30, 2016 - 02:31 pm:

I'll be working tonight but I'm sure my mind will be trying to visualize how to drill the caps to install these dippers tomorrow.

I saw some videos and have had some very good advice so far from many of you. Thank you

One question that keeps me wondering, however, is whether or not to drill the holes in the center of the rod Or if offsetting them would be worth the trouble for any kind of benefit.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Laughary on Saturday, July 30, 2016 - 02:42 pm:

Dips

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Saturday, July 30, 2016 - 02:49 pm:

When all else fails, read the directions! :-) Mine are and all the ones I've seen are on center.
Suggestion; fit the dippers to the rod cap. May need a little fitting to the edges to fit down and tight.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Laughary on Saturday, July 30, 2016 - 03:05 pm:

Thank You

I tried to post a picture of the directions but the file was too large. It does not mention offset holes.

Centered holes seem good enough to be unless someone has better advice.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Saturday, July 30, 2016 - 03:30 pm:

Bear in mind you are putting Chevrolet parts on your Ford!!
:-)
(For those who don't know, these are Ch**t 216 and early 235 dippers--or at least replicas of them, hence the fitting needed)
Some swear by these, others swear at them. I have no real opinion either way! (disclaimer!)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Laughary on Saturday, July 30, 2016 - 03:47 pm:

Thank You

Dippers seem logical to me here in hilly TN. I'm asjusting the rods and will also add a front oiler. The plan is to make this a wedding car and hopefully puts lots of billable hours on it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Laughary on Saturday, July 30, 2016 - 04:39 pm:

Instr

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Art Wilson on Sunday, July 31, 2016 - 01:02 am:

I drill the holes off center so the oil has a continuous path from the dipper scoop into the bearing. I then carve a small reservoir (1/4" wide)in the Babbitt between the oil hole and the center of the bearing for allow additional oil to enter the bearing. If the bearings have X grooves in them the reservoir is cut to the grooves.
The sides of the dippers between the bolt holes need to trimmed slightly so the dippers can be reworked to mate against the rod cap to minimize oil leakage. Don't take too much off the sides or the dipper scoop can come loose.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Laughary on Sunday, July 31, 2016 - 05:11 am:

Thank You, Art

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Sunday, July 31, 2016 - 10:26 am:

I always re-bend the "ears" on the dippers to accentuate the "Z" shape. Otherwise it's difficult to get the nuts on them. They'll pull down into the cap without having to trim anything.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Sunday, July 31, 2016 - 10:44 am:

Mike Bender talks about rod dippers in this video (about 10:30 in):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QQt5GAdW7Xc&index=29&list=PLYG_lIhIwKyLG8WQm4tGm KK1nA0Yctp6G

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kohnke Rebabbitting, Clare, Iowa on Sunday, July 31, 2016 - 12:05 pm:

As Mike says, you don't have to trim anything.

Bend the bolt hole ends, just enough to start the nuts, and tighten them, and they will pull the dipper into shape.

Oil the top of the dipper at the bolt hole so the nut doesn't mar the dipper as bad as if it were dry.

Herm.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By bob middleton on Sunday, July 31, 2016 - 04:54 pm:

I drill mine off center towards the back remember there is write and wrong way on the dippers for install
Correct me if wrong by the dipper opening is on the cam side drill the cap on the drivers side

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Laughary on Sunday, July 31, 2016 - 05:51 pm:

Thank You, Bob

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration