Interesting read

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Interesting read
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steven Thum on Saturday, July 30, 2016 - 03:10 pm:

I saw this article on another forum and since this is the time of our Model T's and some are in the pictures, I thought it might be an interesting read.

Enjoy

http://www.atlasobscura.com/articles/how-america-joined-its-two-great-loves-cars -and-the-outdoors

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Saturday, July 30, 2016 - 05:08 pm:

My family still runs an original Auto-Camp and trailer park, It's called Cave Springs (caveprings.com) in Dunsmuir, CA and was originally Brown's Auto Court. We still have 15 of the original cabins, built in 1923 (some of them started as tent platforms), and have the 3rd Trailer Park license in California. The cabin garages are just big enough for a model T!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steven Thum on Saturday, July 30, 2016 - 06:35 pm:

Someday I will get there to see that!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Saturday, July 30, 2016 - 07:48 pm:

Steven, just go to the website, lots of pictures!
Both these buildings are, unfortunately gone now (1949)Note by that time it was now "Browns Modern Motor Lodge! I lived in the right hand one until 8th grade (the gas pumps and canopy were long gone by then); the right hand one was Ma Green's Koffee Kup when I was a kid, and it is her model A I still have. By 1955, the road in front (hwy 99) had been raised quite a bit and both buildings were below grade. The present office & home sits where Ma Green's was.

Cabin 4 a few years ago, pretty tourist not included.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Saturday, July 30, 2016 - 08:14 pm:

I was going to add this picture of Ma Green & something happened, must have clicked at the wrong time! You can see the change in road elevation, the new 4 lane highway; and the loss of the canopy on the building behind Ma Green's. By this time the resort was called Cave Springs.

And the building as I remember it:

Note in both pics, the mailbox and fountain in the same location. The fountain was natural sparkling mineral water we pumped up from a spring down by the river. Don't do that anymore, unfortunately. Used to be access to three different mineral springs right in town, now there's only one available. When Ma Greens was torn down, the mailbox was moved about 50 feet south, in front of Mac's Market (that silver pipe in the front of the picture holds up the market's sign). That building is still there, empty, and I'm pretty certain the mailbox is gone too. I don't think you see small mail pickup boxes like that anymore.

PS Terry H. says I have the website wrong, here's what works for me;
www.cavesprings.com

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker in Sumter SC on Saturday, July 30, 2016 - 08:23 pm:

David,

Great photos and great to know it is still there.

Respectfully submitted,

Hap l9l5 cut off

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker in Sumter SC on Saturday, July 30, 2016 - 09:32 pm:

Steven,

Thank you for the posting. It is a neat story about auto-camping. And yes, there were some Model T photos along with the tents etc.

I think the Model T in the first photo of the article about the Auto Camping is a 1920-1921 Canadian Model T Touring with a Peerless radiator shell.

To avoid high-jacking the thread, I started a second thread about the T in that photo. Along with the question of when did Ford of Canada introduce the one-man top and slant windshield. Please see: http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/599638/663380.html?1469928382 for that discussion.

Respectfully submitted,

Hap l9l5 cut off

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steven Thum on Saturday, July 30, 2016 - 10:50 pm:

David,
I loved your pictures.
Hap,
Thanks

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Sunday, July 31, 2016 - 02:12 am:

Steven,
Glad you enjoyed them--it does feel a little like posting family history here. BTW, I have the Chevron sign in my garage, and the "Brown's Cabins" sign is hanging on storage building wall on the resort after being kept in a crawl space for decades.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration