Help identifying told this is off a T

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Help identifying told this is off a T
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Lloid on Saturday, July 30, 2016 - 04:50 pm:

A older car guy (86) told me at a swap meet today, he got this tool box door or whatever it is from a, old car guy who was 94 when he passed that only did early cars and mostly T s. I think it's cool and would love to put some old T tools in it but would like to see if anyone could help identify the item be it ford or not. Thanks in advance Tim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Lloid on Saturday, July 30, 2016 - 04:52 pm:

Sorry can't get it to load. Says file is to big and I am using a kindle not my home computer..

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Saturday, July 30, 2016 - 05:03 pm:

Email it to jelf1 at cox dot net and I'll put it up.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Saturday, July 30, 2016 - 05:06 pm:

You can try resize your picture to less than 250 kb, then it'll probably load here :-)

Here's one of several online resizers:
http://www.resize-photos.com/

(Ford didn't supply any tool boxes with lids, though there were plenty of period aftermarket alternatives)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Lloid on Saturday, July 30, 2016 - 05:21 pm:

I tried to send it to Steve Jelf as.forward to his email. It said it went.. I hope he gets it. Thanks all Tim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Saturday, July 30, 2016 - 05:50 pm:

Got 'em.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Saturday, July 30, 2016 - 06:01 pm:

Some more expensive makes of cars such as Packards had built-in storage for the factory issued tools.

On the interior side of the door or the back of the front seat were common places.

Looks like you have a door from such a compartment. I would say non-Ford.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Saturday, July 30, 2016 - 07:21 pm:

I would have to agree with Erik, tool door from something fancy, Pierce Arrow, Peerless, Packard, Rolls Royce, Bentley, etc. etc. Make of the lock might lead you to the car maker(s).

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Saturday, July 30, 2016 - 07:31 pm:

Definitely not Ford.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed in California on Saturday, July 30, 2016 - 07:33 pm:

Yes, it is a 1920s door panel mounted tool kit, probably as said above. Heres one off a Jordan Playboy.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Lloid on Sunday, July 31, 2016 - 12:01 am:

Well he I didn't know and I thought it would be cool to hang on the wall in my man cave with model T tools in it. It's really dirty but it might clean up and look ok. Definitely a conversation piece. Thanks Steve jelf for getting the pics and posting. Also to the others who helped identify the tool kit. The leather tool holders are rockhard but should be fine with some old t tools in it.. Again Thanks to all. Tim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Pharis on Sunday, July 31, 2016 - 01:45 am:

And here is a pic from a '24 Nash 6 sales brochure.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Sunday, July 31, 2016 - 02:14 am:

Interesting that a ball-pein hammer seems to be standard equipment in these tool kits.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Coco - Winchester Va. on Sunday, July 31, 2016 - 07:37 am:

My 1931 Pierce Arrow phaeton has a virtually identical tool kit, mounted on a swing down plate on the driver side door. The upper little pocket was probably for a tire pressure gauge, and then an assortment of wrenches, pliers, hammer, screwdriver. In the case of the Pierce, these tools all have a "Pierce" with an arrow through it stamped on the tool.

Very neat find....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Warren on Sunday, July 31, 2016 - 01:47 pm:

Tim, You can also use ( paint) to re-size your photos, when you have the photo open in paint, click on image, then stretch/skew, I enter 40% on my i-phone photos. then save them as ( re-name it so you can find it and to also keep original )

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Lloid on Sunday, July 31, 2016 - 08:19 pm:

The lock says it's a Sargent brand key lock. Tim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Longbranch,WA on Monday, August 01, 2016 - 11:42 am:

I used a ball-pein hammer to regularly cut out gaskets before they became commercially available.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed in California on Monday, August 01, 2016 - 12:25 pm:

That is probably just the door, more tools probably were held within the car door itself like this example.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Monday, August 01, 2016 - 12:53 pm:

Steve,
I still do!!! Yeah, I'm like Jack Benny--CHEAP! to a fault.
And I was thinking that the hammer was likely for making gaskets more than for "not straining stuff." :-)

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration