Stromberg OF economizer

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Stromberg OF economizer
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Zahorik on Saturday, July 30, 2016 - 07:52 pm:

I've had a Stan Howe OF on my 1926 for two years now and it has worked great, with one exception, the car would stumble moving through 14-16 MPH. For some reason I remember that the economizer could be causing this. So today, I removed the adjustment nut from the economizer stem, so the economizer valve would remain closed. The stumble went away. With that in mind, I got out the book and a few other references that I have and attempted to better understand the economizer. The economizer allows additional air into the mixture flow at throttle closed to slightly open, then closes for great throttle opening. Here is how I adjusted the economizer in an attempt to eliminate the stumble. After setting the high and low speed adjustment screws, I set the economizer so it would not open for any throttle position. No Stumble. Then the economizer screw was turned down 1/2 turn. The stumble showed up and was pretty bad. I continued 1/2 turn increases and monitored the stumble. It improved, but not what I thought was proper. Then I figured that since the economizer was leaning out the low speed, maybe the low speed screw needs to be opened. So I started again with no economizer. So far I have found that turning the economizer down nut 2 1/2 turns and opening up the low speed screw 3 clicks has nearly eliminated the stumble. This adjustment has really made the car run even better than before. I can cruise around at 15 MPH with no stumble, accelerate, slow down. I have written this because I have struggled with the economizer setting before, but this seems to work, at least for me. My 2, Mike

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gene Carrothers Huntington Beach on Sunday, July 31, 2016 - 01:15 pm:

Mike I have never adjusted my economizer and there isn't much info in the book about how to adjust it.
Interesting that low speed adjusting screw is opposite of the high speed to richen the mixture.

I've found that even with an inline filter it is very easy to get some clogging in the low speed jet. I've had to clean mine out a couple of times.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Zahorik on Sunday, July 31, 2016 - 04:02 pm:

I've noticed some dirt in mine. I keep a close eye on my gas tank and gas cans and try to keep my sediment bowl clean.
Seems most of the 'O' series Stromberg's have an economizer, but most books say it is set at the factory and not much else. Mike

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration