Rear axle bearing questions

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Rear axle bearing questions
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ernie Williams on Saturday, July 30, 2016 - 07:58 pm:

Recently (on the Auburn tour of course) my rear wheel bearings started leaking. The are modern types that were on the car when I purchased it. From looking at information on the suppliers websites it looks like they may be from the Model T Ranch. I guess my first inclination is to replace them with Hyatt bearings and new inner/outer seals. However, I guess I should ask if anyone has had any experience replacing the seal/O-rings in these. I have attached couple of pictures. As you can see it looks like they have a set screw in the grease cup hole. In the picture it looks like the keyway is under the seal, it is not, the camera angle makes it look that way. I will give the Model T Ranch a call next week, but I was hoping to see if anyone here has experience rebuilding them. Because they stick out from the hub, putting regular seals on the outside won't work (you can guess how I know).Set ScrewBearing

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ernie Williams on Saturday, July 30, 2016 - 08:00 pm:

Almost forgot to ask, is there any trick to removing them other taking out the set screw?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ted Dumas on Saturday, July 30, 2016 - 08:03 pm:

Oil can weep past the seals in a sealed bearing. The seals will retain grease but are not particularly good at retaining oil.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ernie Williams on Wednesday, August 03, 2016 - 01:41 pm:

A quick follow-up. I talked to the folks at the Model T Ranch and they were SUPER helpful...a fine example of excellent customer service. It turns out my bearings/seals are between 20 and 30 years old. The bearings were really easy to remove,the seals are inexpensive and locally available (Autozone et al). I plan to replace the seals and reinstall the bearings.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Wednesday, August 03, 2016 - 02:13 pm:

Ernie
Please be careful not to "slice/damage " the seal on the edge of the axle keyway. Any damage there will create a new leak path

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Wednesday, August 03, 2016 - 06:26 pm:

Ernie, on Les's caution about damage to the seal. I use a strip of tape along the keyway as the seals are fitted. This will protect them from damage while fitting.
Hope this helps.
Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Wednesday, August 03, 2016 - 07:30 pm:

Allan
Good idea

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Wednesday, August 03, 2016 - 07:50 pm:

2X the tape on key way for installing the modern inner and outer seals. The end of the key way look very close to the seal, any in and out movement of the axle could allow oil/grease past the seal.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ernie Williams on Wednesday, August 03, 2016 - 08:54 pm:

Good advice gents, I will follow it! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jeff Rhoads on Thursday, August 04, 2016 - 07:37 am:

If the rear axle housing is bent, wouldn't that potentially cause leaks and failures of the outer bearings?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Nicholas Lingg - Tarboro, NC on Thursday, August 04, 2016 - 07:54 am:

Is that seal in backwards????

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry Davis Houston TX on Thursday, August 04, 2016 - 09:02 am:

Years ago I decided to pack mu T differential with grease as opposed to oil. My thinking was that most of my T driving was in warm/hot weather which tended to"liquidify" the grease so it reached every bearing gear and was less likely to run out onto the brake drums. I mean packed full...several cans. I put modern seals in and have never had a leak or bearing failure. I works for me....Jerry.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration