Went for a ride today

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Went for a ride today
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Luke----central TX. on Saturday, July 30, 2016 - 08:16 pm:

Well I took Henry out for a short drive around the ranch and everything seems to be working fine, except for a couple minor things I noticed. there is a small oil leak at the right side engine bracket, and He started spitting out water on the ride and then continued to when we got home and I let him sit and idle for a while. I let him sit and idle for several minutes when I first started him, again about halfway through the ride, and when we got back to the shop. the reason I let him sit at idle for a while was to test if the cooling system was working well. the radiator was completely full when I started. is it normal for T's to spit out water in that short amount of time? the whole trip was probably only a mile at most and we didn't get above 15 MPH.

Thanks,

Luke

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Garrison - Rice Minnesota on Saturday, July 30, 2016 - 08:33 pm:

Luke, if you started with a full radiator it would be perfectly normal for the coolant to have heated enough to push fluid out of the radiator. And it would continue to push fluid out until it found its normal, operating level.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Luke----central TX. on Saturday, July 30, 2016 - 08:39 pm:

how will I know whether it is overheating or just pushing water out?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Hjortnaes, Men Falls, WI on Saturday, July 30, 2016 - 09:09 pm:

I like having a motometer. It is not real accurate but it does help determine normal and hot. After a normal ride I can look inside my radiator and the coolant is normally about 1/2 inch above the tubes in the top of the radiator. That is just my observation in my car. Yours may be different.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Saturday, July 30, 2016 - 09:13 pm:

Luke, you'll know the difference. If it's overheating, you're gonna start getting pretty noticeable puffs of steam come out of the overflow tube, as opposed to just super hot water. Most T's radiators seem to find their "sweet spot" about the middle of the Ford script.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Luke----central TX. on Saturday, July 30, 2016 - 09:22 pm:

thanks to all y'all. I am thinking about investing in a motometer.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stephen D Heatherly on Saturday, July 30, 2016 - 09:57 pm:

Luke, if you can hear the water circulating very quickly and and it is gurgling loudly and hissing it's over heating. If it just spits out a little water it's fine and the radiator was just a little over filled. When I fill my radiators I fill them to the bottom of the neck and let the extra water spit out on the ground as I drive so I know I have enough but not too much water. Motor meters are a good thing to have because you can see how hot the water is from inside the car.

Stephen

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Saturday, July 30, 2016 - 11:51 pm:

As Mike said, it's perfectly normal for water to run out of the overflow after you've overfilled. You'll know it's overheated if you hear a fast boil and there's steam coming out. On the other hand, if you hear a slight gurgle for a minute or so after you shut off the engine, that's SOP, and no problem.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Luke----central TX. on Sunday, July 31, 2016 - 12:37 am:

Thank y'all. Y'all make things so much easier to new T people.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration