Synthetic oil made my bands shutter

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Synthetic oil made my bands shutter
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Laughary on Saturday, July 30, 2016 - 10:19 pm:

A week ago I tried topping off with a synthetic blend but immediately felt something different with the transmission bands, so I flushed it out and replaced it with regular oil the next day everything went back to normal.

Just sharing an observation. I'm not sure what material my bands are made with, but they look like they are probably cotton.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Laughary on Saturday, July 30, 2016 - 10:27 pm:

Beloe is a link to the forum discussion I found on the topic from 2012. I'm guessing that's the newest discussion unless there are new developments I did not find searching with Google.

The highlights seem to be that the "SF" designation on the oilcan indicates better resistance against Engine where than "SN" found on most modern oils.

Some people reported "chatter" with cotton bands, but someone with wooden bands said that synthetic was no problem. Many people commented that it is easier to start their engines in very cold weather when they use synthetic oil.

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/257047/269976.html?1330358067

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Whelihan Danbury, WI on Sunday, July 31, 2016 - 07:42 am:

It all comes down to what your preference is. I run a high quality full synthetic high zinc 10W-40 in my car. BUT...I don't drive a lot of miles in a season, my car leaks very little. If I drove more miles or had a "gusher", I'd be using a cheaper brand for sure.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration