Distance between transmission drums

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Distance between transmission drums
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Willi Kuehnis on Sunday, July 31, 2016 - 09:50 am:

Hi,
I will add a photo.
My question: is this OK, if we can make this distance between the drums ?

Thanks
Willi

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Young in Mays Landing, NJ on Sunday, July 31, 2016 - 09:53 am:

The drums need to be all the way together.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Sunday, July 31, 2016 - 10:55 am:

They should look like the attached pic. That low drum on yours looks deeply grooved, can you find a better one?

pic

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve in Tennessee on Sunday, July 31, 2016 - 11:00 am:

Inspect them all closely. I thought mine were all just fine but we found two things:

1. When we got through cleaning them up on the lathe the amount of material left was marginal.

2. A close look at the webbing revealed hairline cracks in all three.

As much as it pained me (and my wallet) the best course in the end was to put new drums in.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tony Bowker, Ramona, CA on Sunday, July 31, 2016 - 11:12 am:

Simple answer is NO.
The drum should be closer together and the middle drum is badly scored and should junked. Someone placed the rivets along the band rather than across.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stephen D Heatherly on Sunday, July 31, 2016 - 11:58 am:

Willi, it is normal to be able to move the reverse drum that far when the transmission is not assembled because the triple gears hold it back against the low drum. I agree with the others that the low drum is badly damaged and it needs to be replaced.

Stephen

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Sunday, July 31, 2016 - 08:15 pm:

Willi, in an ideal world, that first gear drum should be replaced, due to the scoring. However, the band material will conform to the scoring over time, and the transmission will still perform. I would much rather that scoring than a rough patch in the drum caused by rust or some such. An intermittent rough patch will wear the bands much quicker. A cracked drum is the classic example of this.

Hope this helps.
Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Willi Kuehnis on Monday, August 01, 2016 - 02:32 am:

Thanks,

I think Stephen understands it.

Thanks
Willi

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Gould, Folsom, CA on Monday, August 01, 2016 - 09:46 am:

The slow speed drum was made with the groove in it. However the gear sleeve appears to be too long. There should be room to install the driven gear with the slow speed drum up against the brake drum. The placement of the reverse drum in your picture is about correct since the teeth of the two drums line up. The issue is with the slow speed drum.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Thomas Mullin on Monday, August 01, 2016 - 11:26 am:

Shouldn't the small gear on the low speed drum be visible between the large gear on the reverse drum and the medium gear on the driven shaft?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Monday, August 01, 2016 - 11:56 am:

Richard,

With all due respect, that low speed drum was not made with the groove in it. That's a huge amount of wear from using steel brake lining rivets. The drum is junk.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Monday, August 01, 2016 - 11:58 am:

I don't know of any low drum that was made with a groove in it.
The teeth on the driving gear look very worn and the reverse drum gear looks like it has gotten very hot.
The low drum rides on the brake drum shaft which runs the length of the transmission, the reverse drum rides on the extension from the low drum. The reverse drum is not seating on the low drum as it should. Something like a burr is preventing the reverse drum from sliding all the way down as in Mark's photo. Pull the driving gear back off (really should be replaced anyway) and check fitment of parts. Check for cracks esp the revers drum if you have not done so.
re; Shouldn't the small gear on the low speed drum be visible between the large gear on the reverse drum and the medium gear on the driven shaft? yes

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration