Any recommendations for enclosed trailer floor covering or paint?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Any recommendations for enclosed trailer floor covering or paint?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Conger on Monday, August 01, 2016 - 10:27 am:

your advice or experiences will be appreciated

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Saylor, Citrus Heights, Ca on Monday, August 01, 2016 - 10:36 am:

Needs to be oil proof if your car drips oil and most Model Ts will. Mine has gray linoleum. It absorbs oil so I put down a plastic painters drop cloth. when it gets a little too much oil, just throw it away and put down another.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank Harris from Long Beach, CA on Monday, August 01, 2016 - 10:54 am:

I purchased a tub of one-part epoxy paint and rolled it on. I sprinkled sand rather heavily down the tire track path and lightly all over. I fastened a cheap galvanized drip pan under the engine and transmission by using self tapping wood screws and fender washers. It's easy to remove the pan to clean it with a pressure washer. and the same goes for the floor of the trailer.

trailer

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Freighter Jim on Monday, August 01, 2016 - 11:13 am:

Scott,

Best thing is horse mats .....

Rural King Farm Supply carries a line:

@ http://www.ruralking.com/quality-rubber-4-x-6-rubber-horse-mat-3-4-thick.html

I use 4 ft. x 6 ft. horse mats in my enclosed trailer.

They are heavy enough they don't shift - you can remove a mat if it is damaged & replace it - they are economical.

Freighter Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Conger on Monday, August 01, 2016 - 11:17 am:

Jim

that's an interesting and novel approach. This is why I love this forum...such varied and great info and suggestions.

I have ordered a number of items from Rural King and will check out your link

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan B on Monday, August 01, 2016 - 11:26 am:

Scott,

I use a deconstructed corrugated cardboard box under my Model T in the garage. A box for a refrigerator or something large works best. Most appliance stores have some that they would be willing to give you.

They can be cut down to size and oil does not soak through. Best part is they're free and easy to dispose of.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Freighter Jim on Monday, August 01, 2016 - 11:34 am:

Scott,

I never thought of it until earlier this year when I was having work done on my enclosed trailer in South Carolina at a high end trailer customizer.

They were putting them in a high end car hauler/track service trailer like you see at car races - said they were the way to go
and it turns out a lot cheaper than traditional floor coverings.

I like how you can replace a single mat if it gets damaged or ruined.

I put in 4' x 6' mats for about $40 each ......

Freighter Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bills Auto Works on Monday, August 01, 2016 - 12:28 pm:

If you want it to look good, easily cleaned & have plenty of design & color choices, you could go with Racedeck Flooring made for garage floors. It comes in 1ft squares & is easily replaceable if you happen to damage one (which you probably will never do) For the walls, I insulated it first & then did it with white poly sheets from Mennards. I also did electricity in & out as well as compressed air in & out, but you don't have to get this carried away. I transport a large number of high dollar vehicles & the customers like to have somebody show up that is not driving a "Garbage Skow"

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Monday, August 01, 2016 - 02:31 pm:

I had mine done with spray pickup truck box liner. Took it 6" up the sides. I included the ramp/door It can be pressure washed and is quite non slip

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dale Peterson College Place, WA on Monday, August 01, 2016 - 07:11 pm:

I have been using pieces of used carpet, cut to fit. Change it when it gets too dirty. This is nice for sliding under the car to turn off the gas. Any time you put anything under the car tires you need to secure the car so it will not shift sideways and I would include any time you put a smooth or slick finish on the floor.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By R. S. Cruickshank on Monday, August 01, 2016 - 07:27 pm:

Ditto for Les Schubert. It took two coats and you have to remember to keep stirring as you apply. I too covered the ramp door as it gives a grip finish.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wes Nelson ........Bucyrus, MO on Monday, August 01, 2016 - 09:38 pm:

I used walmart porch paint, two coats and cardboard boxes ( stove, refrigerator, washer or dryer ) cut up to fit. To me it's a trailer, I'm not that fussy. I have found that everybody has an opinion, but unless they pay my bills it doesn't matter to me.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By HARRY A DAW Troy, Mo. on Monday, August 01, 2016 - 11:00 pm:

I used Benjamin Moore Porch and Floor latex enamel. And some cardboard under the drip areas. It seals the wood good, is not slick. Use the same paint on my screened in porch. Very durable.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gene Carrothers Huntington Beach on Tuesday, August 02, 2016 - 12:30 am:

I have always used discarded cardboard under the center section. It works perfect and can easily be replaced or removed when hauling some other items where you want to slide things on the floor. Best part they're free. The printed ones are best and can be wiped clean a few times.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Conger on Thursday, August 04, 2016 - 08:23 am:

as always, thank you all very much.

regards,

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Troy Todd on Friday, August 05, 2016 - 02:07 am:

I've done garage floor epoxy and drip pans on both of mine.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Conger on Thursday, August 25, 2016 - 09:20 am:

as a follow up: I primed then painted the floor with the Benjamin-Moor Porch/deck paint and am very happy with the result. It is a very nice product, and well priced. Thank you Harry.

now it's time for cardboard and later, mats.

thanks to all who responded

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration