Wayne's "almost" excellent adventure

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Wayne's "almost" excellent adventure
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Jorgensen, Batavia, IL on Monday, August 01, 2016 - 01:45 pm:

Two weeks ago I went for my first ride in my Model T. Frank Woodin from one of the local Model T chapters helped me get the car started, and gave me my first driving lesson. When it was time to put the car back in the garage, the T wouldn't start. Frank thought it sounded like fuel starvation. Since the gas tank was low, we pushed the car back in the garage for another day. This morning it was nice and cool, so I thought I would try starting the T on my own. This time I had a full tank. I also sprayed some starting fluid in the carburetor, and actually got a "free" start. I live on a dead end street. At the end of the street is a cemetery (no pun intended). So a near perfect place to practice driving a T. With a "free start" as a good omen, I set out down the road, to the cemetery. We got as far as the cemetery when the car "died". After several attempts to restart the car, we walked home, got the Jeep, and towed the T back to the garage. I suspect a carburation issue of some kind. At any rate I got some nice pictures in the sunshine, which show off the hood which one of my neighbors kindly sprayed for me.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By ROBERT BERGSTADT on Monday, August 01, 2016 - 02:15 pm:

Wayne, bring the carburetor in to the shop, Bob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Jorgensen, Batavia, IL on Monday, August 01, 2016 - 02:32 pm:

Well thank you! I will actually be in your neighborhood later this week, so if the planets stay in alignment, you will see me soon!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Monday, August 01, 2016 - 03:06 pm:

You are getting there!! I can hardly wait until my '15 runabout is to that point. Mine has a long way to go yet, and I don't get much time out in the shop working on it.
Congratulations!
The T is looking good!
The other Wayne (I don't say THAT very often).
Drive carefully, and do enjoy! W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Laughary on Monday, August 01, 2016 - 03:54 pm:

Beautiful T
Congratulations!

My carburetor was not happy when I got my first T, which was only six weeks ago. I bought a rebuilt Holly NH from eBay for a great bargain and it works like a charm. I just wasn't comfortable rebuilding a carburetor I had never seen operate properly before.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Monday, August 01, 2016 - 04:54 pm:

Could be clog in sediment bulb. It should be drained from time to time to let out debris or water which settles to the bottom of the tank. There is a screen in the sediment bulb which could be clogged. You will need to capture the gas if you take out the screen.

Other possible cause could be a loose electrical connection in the ignition system which opens the circuit intermittently.

Eventually you will find and fix the cause of the problem and then have a very dependable and fun ride. Good luck
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Ohio on Monday, August 01, 2016 - 04:57 pm:

Your supposed to die and THEN go to the cemetery NOT go to the cemetery and die! :-)

Nice car and I know you will get it running soon and enjoy it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Daron - Brownsburg IN on Monday, August 01, 2016 - 08:37 pm:

Actually,a "T" will run about 250-300 Feet if you forget to turn gas on at tank.Don't ask how I know.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Monday, August 01, 2016 - 08:52 pm:

Boy, that's a sinking feeling when it shuts off, followed by relief when you open the hood and realize you forgot to turn on the gas, followed by elation when you turn on the gas and the car fires back up! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Dufault on Monday, August 01, 2016 - 08:54 pm:

Thanks for that Jack...nice to know that I'm in good company...(same experience).

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Doolittle on Monday, August 01, 2016 - 09:58 pm:

Just a suggestion- next time the car goes dead confirm 2 things:
1. Are the plugs getting fire?
2. Is the carb getting gas from the tank?

A quick test can save lots of time towing with that Jeep.

The problem could be poor contact in the switch, poor connection at the ground cable, clogged screen at the shut off valve, etc.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Monday, August 01, 2016 - 10:30 pm:

You probably didn't do any damage in that short distance, but avoid towing.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Jorgensen, Batavia, IL on Tuesday, August 02, 2016 - 08:41 am:

Good to know.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Tuesday, August 02, 2016 - 09:33 am:

You can tow it without damage with the engine revolving = with the hand lever forward. Then the fourth main will get oil and the clutch won't need any :-)

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration