OT buzz saw

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: OT buzz saw
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Garrison - Rice Minnesota on Monday, August 01, 2016 - 03:21 pm:

I know I had these photos on here before. At the time my brother had just given me this buzz saw.

I finally got up to his house to see it and I'm impressed with how well it's built.

But here's the thing, I don't need it. I'm to darn old and crippled up to use it for anything so; I'm willing to hand it off free of charge to anyone who's willing to stop by pick it up and put it to work.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Fielding "Ewe-taw" on Monday, August 01, 2016 - 03:29 pm:

Mike,
I have the same unit, just get a "Easy-power" for the front of your favorite T and your set, or you can run it with your favorite engine!
Kevin

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Monday, August 01, 2016 - 03:35 pm:

Michael,

I also am too old and gimped up to use anything like that saw, and I'm too far away anyhow. Just looking at it scares me. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Craig Anderson, central Wisconsin on Monday, August 01, 2016 - 03:46 pm:

As it should Henry.
There is more than one story about sawing wood with a push table rig about the operator slipping and falling into the saw.........yeah.......not pretty.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Garrison - Rice Minnesota on Monday, August 01, 2016 - 04:01 pm:

Craig, I know what your saying. I spent many hours working on one of these saws as a kid. Like many other pieces of equipment they take special safety steps when operating.

My thought was it would make a very nice static display at one of the many threshing shows in the area. Someone could set it up as an example of a machine we used as young men behind several different power units. I even considered setting it up to show it running off the rear wheel of a Model T or behind a doodle bug or tractor conversion or...

If it doesn't generate any interest I'll probably take the blade, hang it on the wall and throw the rest in the scrap.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-SE Georgia on Monday, August 01, 2016 - 06:42 pm:

Wish I was closer. I'd take you up on it.

You safety people kill me. That is a perfectly legitimate tool right there and only needs to be treated with respect and common sense. I'd use it in heartbeat. And have. And will again.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Craig Anderson, central Wisconsin on Monday, August 01, 2016 - 09:34 pm:

I built two saws for sawing wood but they were not push table saws.
They were swing saws where the blade is exposed only when cutting.
I built one for myself and sawed wood for years with it.
Use yours.......I hope you never slip.
"safety people kill me".....if you don't do it yourself first.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Monday, August 01, 2016 - 10:03 pm:

I was working at a friend's shop, and he has a radial arm saw that he's taken the cover off. I think because it scares me, I am much more careful around it, check clearance to the blade way before I turn it on and make certain I have control of the blade slider too. Maybe it makes me more careful, I dunno, but I'm glad I'm not using that saw anymore!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Hagerty on Monday, August 01, 2016 - 10:22 pm:

David, I don't feel the need to list my many years experience with saws and machinery in general. I have operated and taught every type of saw in both wood and metal work. I know the risk! I have seen plenty of so called 'safety' devices added to various saws, most are a hindrance. What I can't understand is, for what good reason would anyone run a radial arm saw without the cover over the blade? Please... I gots to know!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Tuesday, August 02, 2016 - 01:25 am:

David,
I agree with you, I have NO idea why he has it set up like that! But it sure made me VERY careful around it! He's a machinist and is very particular about how things go together--more particular than I or my Dad was, and that's very unusual!
When I asked, he said "it got in his way." HUH???

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Tuesday, August 02, 2016 - 04:00 am:

Michael G, I wish I was closer too. I would use it.

The ultimate truth is, that most people rely too much on safety equipment.

An interesting factoid according to the California Highway Patrol, about forty years ago. A section of highway 101 in Mendocino County, about ten miles long, had more fatal accidents in ONE year than it had had in the ten years previous. What changed? The California Highway Department (precursor to Cal-Trans) installed guard rails alongside the river canyon. For DECADES everybody (well, almost everybody), drove carefully, knowing that the drop down to the riverbed was just a heartbeat away. As soon as the guard rails went up? People drove faster, drove drunk more, and took a lot more chances. They ripped through the guard rails, and more than a few managed to vault OVER the guard rails.
Hey? Why drive sensibly when the guard rail is going to save your @$$?
Drive carefully (I mean that!), and enjoy! W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric Hylen- Central Minnesota on Tuesday, August 02, 2016 - 07:52 am:

Mike,
I'd love to have it. I might even muster up the guts to use it with the power unit stand that I picked up at Chickasha last spring. I'm available to come pick it up tomorrow, Thursday or Monday.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charlie B actually in Toms River N.J. on Tuesday, August 02, 2016 - 08:13 am:

I don't know, maybe it's the size of the blade that throws people, but I've seen one (not in use) and didn't want to get too close. LOL.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Garrison - Rice Minnesota on Tuesday, August 02, 2016 - 08:15 am:

Eric, sent you a PM.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric Hylen- Central Minnesota on Tuesday, August 02, 2016 - 08:51 am:

Sounds good, Mike.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Garrison - Rice Minnesota on Tuesday, August 02, 2016 - 10:03 am:

I no longer have the buzz saw available.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-SE Georgia on Tuesday, August 02, 2016 - 12:09 pm:

Eric,

I trust you will grind all the teeth round and weld the shaft to the frame so no one will ever be injured by such a death trap.:-(

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration