Ford Sign that missed the thread on Ford Signs!

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Ford Sign that missed the thread on Ford Signs!
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Lance Sorenson, Hector, Minnesota on Monday, August 01, 2016 - 03:57 pm:

I couldn't find this picture until today. It is porcelain and from another country. I do know the location of were it lives. It is (or was) in the Main Street Antiques in downtown Hutchinson, Minnesota. They are asking close to 600 bucks for it. It is heavy.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gilbert V. I. Fitzhugh on Monday, August 01, 2016 - 04:56 pm:

I wonder what language it's supposed to be. In Spanish and Portuguese, "oficial" has only one "f". In French, "agency" is "agence".

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chester Leighton on Monday, August 01, 2016 - 05:55 pm:

Italian

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Hatch on Monday, August 01, 2016 - 07:15 pm:

Here is a link to a good Ford sign page. Go to the bottom of page, go to page 2, go to bottom of page and look at Foreign Signs. There are 2 pages of them also.
http://jerseygaspumps.tripod.com/ford.html

Dan

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Monday, August 01, 2016 - 08:27 pm:

Here is a link to an e-bay search of "porcelain ford sign" There are a couple of similar signs listed. More than likely they are fake as well as the one you found in the antique store likely being fake. The India dealers are flooding the market with fake signs that are aged and distressed so well even most of the professional collectors are having trouble telling the differences. Those India fakes are now showing up in a lot of the flea markets, swap meets, and antique stores as originals. There may only be one or two India fakers at work but they are using multiple user IDs and not letting their feedback ratings get very high. There are signs put on e-bay and listed with a buy it now of 1000.00 to 2000.00 or more. Then if you look on down in the e-bay auctions there will be one just like it for a start price of 20.00 to 30.00 with free shipping. The high dollar listings are just there to give an appearance of the cheep one being a steal. Most of the fakes are bringing in the neighborhood of 400.00 to 600.00 on average. Also if you do a "completed auction" search you will find in the last month or two the same sign (with a little different aging) will show up almost every week. I would venture a guess that almost 1/2 of the old looking aged signs on e-bay are fake. I do not mean the obvious aging of some signs, but the signs that look at least 50 to 60 years old. I have been collecting and buying and selling old signs over 35 years. I have always been able to be a good judge of a sign being fake or not. But now if one of the India fakes is taken away from the e-bay sales and offered in another place, like a personal collection, swap meet, ect. I would be very hard pressed to say its fake or real .... But when I see the same sign with different aging being the only difference, sell over and over, week after week on e-bay from India sellers it just screams "FAKE" to me... There are originals still out there, but you have to really look at the "history" of where the sign came from. It is somewhat common to still find "tin" signs in new condition that were stored in a barn or ???? and maybe be dozens of them. Not real common but it does happen. But porcelain signs are very seldom found in multiple lots. The exception to that would be, say a lot, of Dr Pepper signs found in an old DR Pepper bottling plant. So I guess the old saying "Buyer Beware" applies to buying signs these days ....

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2050601.m570.l1313.TR4.TRC2.A0 .H0.Xporcelain+ford+sign+.TRS0&_nkw=porcelain+ford+sign+&_sacat=0

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration