What's your August project?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: What's your August project?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By R.V. Anderson on Monday, August 01, 2016 - 05:07 pm:

Built a complete Spiltdorf coilbox with coils for a good guy in PA's Ford Model N:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Schreiber- Santa Isabel Ecuador on Monday, August 01, 2016 - 05:15 pm:

Work of art !!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Monday, August 01, 2016 - 05:55 pm:

How are we supposed to follow THAT???
:-)
RV, set the bar too high!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Ohio on Monday, August 01, 2016 - 06:20 pm:

After seeing that beautiful coil box I guess I'll have to wait until September or October before I can post on what I got done. That is of course if RV doesn't post another project for those months.

Very beautiful coil box and coils

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Sean Butler Huntington Beach, CA on Monday, August 01, 2016 - 06:37 pm:

Wish I was a good guy in PA...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric Sayer on Monday, August 01, 2016 - 08:37 pm:

What stain is that, I love the finish?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By R.V. Anderson on Monday, August 01, 2016 - 09:30 pm:

Wow; thanks for the kind words! The box wood is mahogany and the stain is one I made myself, a mixture of about 50% Minwax red mahogany and 25% each Minwax dark walnut and "natural".

The flash on my camera seems to distort the true color of stained wood. The actual color is darker and less red. It was matched to an original box and coils that was most graciously loaned to me by Paul Griesse so that we could duplicate it.

The finish is 6 brushed coats of Minwax Gloss UV Resistant Marine Spar varnish. I don't use grain fillers because in my view they tend to make the stain look muddy, so the grain is 'filled' by the multiple coats, each one leveled by hand sanding. It's time consuming but I like the end result better.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Laughary on Monday, August 01, 2016 - 10:02 pm:

Jewelry!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Monday, August 01, 2016 - 10:25 pm:

That's pretty, RV. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Tuesday, August 02, 2016 - 12:44 am:

R V A, That is absolutely beautiful!
Nothing I shall do this month will be so nice.
Unless you count going to see our new grand-daughter again.

But I did work on the coil box for my '15 runabout today. Got the first coat of black paint on it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Alan George Long on Tuesday, August 02, 2016 - 09:47 am:

My project is to remove the rear spring of my 1910 Tourer and repair it somehow so the rear tyres don't bottom out on the butterfly arm / rest guard brackets. We are unable to take passengers at the moment because of the weak spring.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Tuesday, August 02, 2016 - 01:35 pm:

My July projects have turned into my August projects, and my August projects will probably turn into,.....well,.....they'll probably,......well,....you get the idea,...........harold

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Warren- Huntington, VT on Tuesday, August 02, 2016 - 09:15 pm:

My project was to open the box with the 4 brand new 21" split rims. Hoping to get them primed and painted in the next week so I can get the tires mounted and turn my chassis into a "roller". I was contemplating leaving them the way they came but think they need some sort of paint work to make them last...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Longbranch,WA on Tuesday, August 02, 2016 - 09:28 pm:

Aren't those already plated ?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Warren- Huntington, VT on Tuesday, August 02, 2016 - 09:39 pm:

Yes, but the way they are produced it looks like they are welded into a full wheel, then cut in a location other than where it was welded. You can still see the grinding marks from where they smoothed out the welds. It isn't horrible, but it does look different than the rest of the wheel. Perhaps I should just leave them. You may not notice it when the wheels are mounted on the car...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Daron - Brownsburg IN on Tuesday, August 02, 2016 - 11:58 pm:

The big project around here this year has been to put a concrete floor in a 26x48 barn. This meant removing virtually everything from the inside and grading the gravel floor before pouring a new one. I am now ready to finally put the cars back in,after they get a much needed bath.The light at the end of this tunnel is there if I keep at it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By mike conrad on Wednesday, August 03, 2016 - 02:09 am:

Trying to keep a Pierce Arrow running!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By gary hammond on Wednesday, August 03, 2016 - 05:04 am:

Finishing up my 1910 REO truck replica. Sawing, filing and polishing brass....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Schreiber- Santa Isabel Ecuador on Wednesday, August 03, 2016 - 09:07 am:

Great looking truck Gary !! Please post pics when you have it finished.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael R Beary on Wednesday, August 03, 2016 - 12:31 pm:

Clean and organize from July projects. I'm getting tired of tripping over things and walking circles for miles trying to find the tool I laid down in a place where I could find it later.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Wednesday, August 03, 2016 - 03:34 pm:

It is nice to see Mike's Pierce Arrow and Gary's REO. Great cars! As much as I love Model T's I believe if I do the same thing day after day I might become stagnant and boring. In that spirit I try to work on my '35 V8 Ford a few hours every 2 or 3 years. Today I'm dismantling a front axle to put under it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Gumbinger, Kenosha, WI on Wednesday, August 03, 2016 - 06:07 pm:

R V, That's a beautiful Coil Box....I'm sure it will work at least as good as it looks, maybe even better.

That good guy in PA is really fortunate to get that for his N.

Kith

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Cascisa - Poulsbo, Washington on Wednesday, August 03, 2016 - 11:59 pm:

I made a tool.

Itís a magnet pole indicator.

I got the idea from the YouTube video in the link below.

It indicates the North and South poles of any magnet.

It consists of two LEDs, one resistor, a switch, a battery and a Hall Effect Sensor.

The Hall Effect Sensor was salvaged from an old 12 Volt fan that I ripped out of an old computer power supply.

The Hall Effect Sensor is the black spec at the tip of the probe.

It took about an hour to make it.

Here is the video link :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NS6TvAu3o-Q

For me, this is mind candy.

Be_Zero_Be

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Thursday, August 04, 2016 - 01:41 am:

Unwrapped the shop of its tarps and began work putting the second floor on. Hope to
be standing walls this week. It will be a race to have a very complicated roof on before
the snows come. Will have to get my T jollies fetching lumber this year.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Andria Myers----------Long Beach, CA on Thursday, August 04, 2016 - 05:34 am:

Organize the shop for a half-way decent garage and get the new 22 touring up and running.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rick Goelz-Knoxville,TN on Thursday, August 04, 2016 - 12:19 pm:

Slowly bringing our popcorn truck to life, this is a fun project, Z head, 280 Stipe cam, Scat Crankshaft, Pertronics ignition, dual exhaust and a U&J Carb and manifold.Here is a picture of the exhaust. Rick exhaust

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Aldrich Orting Wa on Thursday, August 04, 2016 - 12:51 pm:

Going to fix a bad head bolt hole in the block of my 1915. Someone tried a heli coil and buggered it up. I've successfully used heli coils before but I am doing an insert this time.

Luck to me!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Harper - Keene, NH on Thursday, August 04, 2016 - 02:02 pm:

Hi Rick,

Do you need all of those go fast parts to make the popcorn OR are they to assist in moving quickly from one popcorn selling venue to another?

Nice looking exhaust. Bill

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rick Goelz-Knoxville,TN on Thursday, August 04, 2016 - 05:53 pm:

Bill, no, we put the go fast stuff on just for fun and some power, it is very hilly here and this truck will be heavy the subframe is 2x6 ash 2 layers plus the body, we also have a bubble machine that will be going plus some other fun stuff for kids to enjoy.

Rick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Clayton Paddison on Friday, August 05, 2016 - 02:59 am:

My August project is to get my Ruckstell shift linkage finished and working. So far I have my bracket built and the lever installed. Next is the rod and the clevis ends.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Friday, August 05, 2016 - 04:21 am:

John Aldrich, it may help to know that the thread inserts come in more than one wall thickness. The size of the hole you need to drill may determine this for you. Otherwise, the best choice may be determined by the drills/taps you have in your kit.

Hope this helps.
Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Martin Vowell, Sylmar, CA on Friday, August 05, 2016 - 04:47 am:

Hopefully set up the transmission, mount the flywheel and button up my engine. At least that's what I hope to do...what I'm likely to do is start on the drawings for the transmission and driveshaft. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Craig Anderson, central Wisconsin on Friday, August 05, 2016 - 07:27 pm:

Unloading my '65 Mustang so I can have both T's in launch position at all times....... :-O

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Randall Strickland, Lambsburg Va on Friday, August 05, 2016 - 07:54 pm:

checked bearing today getting ready for the drive to theOhio jam

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Smith on Saturday, August 06, 2016 - 10:50 am:

Burger, love the aerial shot of your TT! Bed is coming together. Got fuel tank mounted. Transfer case caused the need to relocate. The gift that keeps on giving!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Townsend ; ^ ) Gresham, Orygun on Saturday, August 06, 2016 - 12:21 pm:

Clayton-
For your Ruckstell shift rod, the generally accepted rod is electrical conduit. On my 1919 I used a piece of 1/2" black pipe. There is no flex in that shifter and I don't have to use the shift rod support.

: ^ )

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Wolf on Saturday, August 06, 2016 - 12:30 pm:

Since I finally got out of the hospital, I will finish changing the oil and drain the radiator and replace with 2 gal. Anti freeze and top off with water. Then hope get it started.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Saturday, August 06, 2016 - 12:42 pm:

Richard, since your profile says you live in Florida, you might try just one gallon of antifreeze and top off with water. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Randall Strickland, Lambsburg Va on Saturday, August 06, 2016 - 01:59 pm:

. Installed signals

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Deichmann, Blistrup, Denmark on Saturday, August 06, 2016 - 02:22 pm:

Fix this:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Clayton Paddison on Saturday, August 06, 2016 - 03:03 pm:

Keith,

That is exactly what I had in mind. I want something stout. I will hunt down some pipe.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By R.V. Anderson on Tuesday, August 09, 2016 - 03:29 pm:

Just finished this all original box and coils for a fellow in WI:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Tuesday, August 09, 2016 - 05:56 pm:

Ordered that 'cheaper' $20 version of the Egypt Garage turn signals. This one is on eBay and ships from England. Got it in about 10 days or so.

Very similar unit, wireless. The costly$ one has nice brackets to mount on the steering column, this one is for bicycles and has handle bar mounts.

But looky looky, handle bar mount fits great on the steering wheel spider. Puts the control unit right in front. Like it!

Mounted the rear unit on metal bracket fastened to the side of the license plate. Can see it clearly and bright under the pickup bed of Nellie.

Now when driving I can flash behind me!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Greg Whaley, Caledon Ontario Canada on Tuesday, August 09, 2016 - 06:14 pm:

Finally getting the 22 back on her feet. Engine has a new valve job, new cam, tightened up the bearings and is back in........going to finish it up by the weekend. It's hard not to make things shiny before installing them.......:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Tuesday, August 09, 2016 - 06:19 pm:

R.V., I'm going to have to start saving up to buy a brass T, just so I can get and mount one of your refurbished coil boxes - fantastic! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Otto on Tuesday, August 09, 2016 - 06:23 pm:

I made up a cross member for the warford. Tried to match how the engine is mounted. I bolted the cross member from both the top and the sides.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Tuesday, August 09, 2016 - 07:36 pm:

Chris - Is that a piece of square tube? Hard to tell from the photo but it's obviously nice work,....thanks for posting. I bought a '26 Touring that has a Ruckstell and an iron Warford. The now deceased owner/builder that I bought it from had told me that he thought the Warford needed some sort of support (to which I agree) but didn't know how it should be done (and neither do I) but your installation sure looks good. Thanks for posting,......harold

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Otto on Tuesday, August 09, 2016 - 08:45 pm:

Harold, yes that is square tubing. 1.5" x 1.5" x 1/8". Welded in sleeves for the bolts that go through the tubing into the warford. Boxed the ends of the tubing. Then drilled and tapped for 3/8 bolts on the the top and ends of the tubing.
You can see in the picture the bolts through the frame into the mount.
I also made the warford level to the frame. In my case, I welded a 1/4" plate on top of each end to space the mount down.
It might be overkill, but I did not want to worry about the warford going anywhere.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Wednesday, August 10, 2016 - 12:24 am:

Chtis, are you going to rely on just the welds in the frame rails? Usually, the joints are plated for extra strength/insurance.

Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Derek Kiefer - Mantorville, MN on Wednesday, August 10, 2016 - 12:44 am:

I sand blasted and painted a set of wheels for my 27 roadster.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Otto on Wednesday, August 10, 2016 - 07:18 am:

Allen, no.
I'm low on gas and did not want to start fish plating the frame and run out in the middle.
Once I use whats left on little projects, I'll get a new bottle and finish the frame.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Wednesday, August 10, 2016 - 09:55 am:

Having tipped a T cylinder over and crunching my phone, I am having to learn all over again how to post photos on the new one. But before I can do that, I have to go through re-sizing school!

I now have just two big pieces of my roadster. The motor and transmission are built and installed in the rolling chassis. The second big piece is the finished body. I have to get my body lift team organised to come over and do their thing. I have had help from the same team to lift 6 different bodies onto the chassis over the years. It's become something of a tradition. The trouble is, some of the team are now in their 70's and any sustained lift gets a bit much, so I have to be super organised.

Photos to come when I know how.

Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By R.V. Anderson on Wednesday, August 10, 2016 - 10:42 am:

Thanks for the kind words, Mark.

Wheels look great, Derek. Is that your own spray booth?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Derek Kiefer - Mantorville, MN on Wednesday, August 10, 2016 - 10:46 am:

Dad's spray booth. He owns a body shop so I use his equipment on weekends. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Leon Parker - Benton, Kentucky on Wednesday, August 10, 2016 - 12:37 pm:

My friend and I made a false cam for my KRW line boring jig. That is for sale.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Thursday, August 11, 2016 - 10:24 pm:

Fellows, just my 2 cents worth on lengthening the frame rails based on 45 years of being around trucks, heavy equipment and making a living as a welder and fabricator. DO NOT box the rails. This in effect makes that short section a rectangular tube that will NOT twist. The T frame is designed to do just exactly that. When that happens enough times, the frame rails will crack at the ends of the welds. It may take awhile, but eventually it will happen. I have seen it many, many times on truck frames. A "fishplate" on the outside is OK, but not really needed if all welds are made with 100% penetration. A small piece of steel about four times the width of the weld and about the same thickness of the frame welded inside of the lower lip of the frame is all that is needed. It will help strengthen the weld, but still let the rail flex. If welded correctly, a frame won't just "break" all at once, even if overloaded. They crack first and then break. Start your weld bead from the edge of the frame and work towards the inside. Cracks almost always start from the weld "crater" where it is the thinnest. Hope this helps. Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Gould, Folsom, CA on Thursday, August 11, 2016 - 10:40 pm:

Started working on rewinding a mag coil. The old one failed because the screw that holds the contact button to the block grounded out on the rivet. Didn't find out until after I removed the windings so I am now rewinding the coils. I filed a dummy pole out of a hammer handle to wind the copper. I have just enough electrical cloth tape to do the job. The coil frame was coated with Glyptol and was difficult to remove. Took two coats of paint remover and two passes with the sand blaster. I'll be done in a week or so. Can't yet load pictures on a new computer.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael J. Wilcox on Friday, August 12, 2016 - 09:29 pm:

Stripped down to paint and install new engine.23Touring

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Saturday, August 13, 2016 - 08:57 am:

Waiting on parts to finish rebuilding a couple of iron sediment bulbs:

pic

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed in California on Saturday, August 13, 2016 - 11:12 am:

I finished my bodywork and personally painted my 1913 Runabout body black. It came out pretty nice I might say.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Saturday, August 13, 2016 - 11:15 am:

Looks great, Ed, well done! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed in California on Saturday, August 13, 2016 - 11:23 am:

I also finished painting my 13 horn as well, its a straight and nice as you can get.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By R.V. Anderson on Saturday, August 13, 2016 - 11:24 am:

Both your projects came out very nice indeed!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Lloid on Saturday, August 13, 2016 - 05:06 pm:

Put new guts back In Fuel bulb and started on my starter repair. Should be back on the road tonight. Tim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Barrett in Auburn Ca. on Saturday, August 13, 2016 - 11:48 pm:

Did some work on a 1926 Buick I took in on trade to get it ready for sale. We took it to the local country club for lunch. This car has original paint and upholstery. When you drive one of these you will see why they cost three times as much new as a model T.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Sunday, August 14, 2016 - 01:11 am:

It's all related. More work on the shop. Built the two bay window cantilevers, set some of
the windows in the entry, and fell back to add the proper supports for the sagging outdoor
light fixtures.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Esik on Sunday, August 14, 2016 - 01:24 am:

Obviously Eric Barrett lives in China.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Lynn on Sunday, August 14, 2016 - 09:43 am:

Working on the front axle, bearings and tie rods. Also working on wiring, rear axle bearings. Trying to keep everything looking as original as possible. Today I will work on the carburetor and coils.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Sunday, August 14, 2016 - 11:02 am:

Love that combination jack/dolly, Mark! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Sunday, August 14, 2016 - 11:20 am:

Weaver Auto Twin jack.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Otto on Sunday, August 14, 2016 - 08:07 pm:

To put this mess together.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Magee on Sunday, August 14, 2016 - 08:20 pm:

My project is to keep the speedster clean and shiny and drive it as much as possible. So drive I did on 8/12.

This shot was taken at the Twin Gates trailhead parking lot along Mt Hamilton Road, east of San Jose CA. My friend and I took a drive up to the 4,216' mountain top to visit Lick Observatory. The Observatory complex can be seen on the mountain top.

The ride up and over Mt Hamilton was always a favorite route on the Santa Clara endurance runs. It is about 30 miles to the top from my house with a climb from basically sea level to 4,216. The grade, however, is fairly gently since they had to haul the material to build the telescope and buildings with horses and mules. There are some great hair pin turns along the route.

Since we took the easy way up, we took the steep road down. For those familiar with the South Bay, that would be Quimby Road. It is supposed to have an average grade of 9.6%. It is way steep than that in some of the hair pin turns. I will have to get some video posted of that.

speedster

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Corey Walker, Brownsboro TX on Sunday, August 14, 2016 - 08:31 pm:

It'll be several more Augusts to come, before I'm finished, but I drug this chassis out of my back yard. I've got a lot of parts around and I'm going to build a speedster. Money is tight but I can do a lot of stuff at minimal cost. Have to start somewhere.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By chris becker on Monday, August 15, 2016 - 01:44 am:

Drove Tin Tillie our 1919 touring with theRose City Model T club to Shady Dell live steam train park ran and maintained by the Pacific NW Livesteamers club. Our our family has been going to the train park 30 years riding the rails.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Hagerty on Monday, August 15, 2016 - 01:51 pm:

Chris,
That's my kind of day! We have the Northeastern Live Steamers just on the edge of Medina, OH. A few years back, there was a large mini tour of the T Club. They stopped by our club grounds with a 130 plus cars! Of all the cars, there was ONE Model A and ONE mid 20's Chrysler! The rest were T's! That put a grin on my face even AJAX couldn't remove!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George N. Lemperes on Monday, August 15, 2016 - 02:22 pm:

R. V. Your coil odes are a work of art. What would it cost to restore a Kingston for my 1909?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By R.V. Anderson on Monday, August 15, 2016 - 03:42 pm:

Thanks for the kind words. I would be happy to restore your Kingstons. The cost depends on what they need done to work properly and the level of cosmetic restoration you want. Send me a PM and we can talk about it:

rvmodeltATnetsyncDOTnet

Meantime, here's a set of T-4232 (1911) Kingstons I just finished building:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Lynn on Tuesday, August 16, 2016 - 11:17 pm:

Weaver Twin hu? been using stuff like that for years, makes it easy to move around the shop. I have a matching creeper also. Both still work very well. Anybody have photos of an unrestored 18 roadster in detail?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dean Yoder, Iowa City IA. on Wednesday, August 17, 2016 - 12:00 am:

Extended my bed for sleeping.
t

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George n LakeOzark,Missourah on Wednesday, August 17, 2016 - 12:40 am:

Ok Dean, what if it rains ?? Your head or feet get wet ???

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dean Yoder, Iowa City IA. on Wednesday, August 17, 2016 - 09:39 pm:

Some version of this for Rain.
v

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Barrett in Auburn Ca. on Thursday, August 18, 2016 - 12:34 am:

Sold the Buick. Now getting the shop ready for a meeting of the Nor Cal FAST chapter this weekend. We are going to demo pouring and boring main and rod bearings.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C on Thursday, August 18, 2016 - 02:26 am:

I KNEW I'd seen Dean's model T someplace before! Coolest T on the planet. I've seen that T with my own eyes! Makes me happy. :-)

My project? Getting ALL of the "3 T's and parts, MN" home. Almost done. Nothing is farther than 45 minutes away (the last trailer loads). Soon to change.
Grand days, great people, model T's, Shell's (Deer Brand) beer and GOOD Sloppy Joes in Hanska, MN. :-) Darned old rusty Fords! You meet the nicest people when you drive a Ford! Who got that pun?

I had bonuses ALL along "the way too busy" in my busy summer. That trip to Paynesville...... Oof! :-) Met a bunch of really cool people! Especially a couple fellas from Iowa and Nebraska!

Too many cool things going on here in this thread!

Mark, I've a ?20? Roadster in my presence with a quite original body. Would that do? I'd like to see pics of your '18...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Thursday, August 18, 2016 - 04:43 am:

I'm trying another carburetor on my primitive pickup. It's a 1930's SU on a Vaporizer intake manifold. Learned you have to grind some off the Vaporizer manifold to fit in this upside down application.
May need some type of fuel pump when the gas gets below 3/4 tank, but I hate to put any pump on a T..
Runs much stronger than with the NH, better low end than with a Model A Tillotson I've tried before and about the same top end ( I think, too fast for most roads around here, more testing needed :-) )

Bbb

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Otto on Thursday, August 18, 2016 - 07:37 am:

Roger, I too am/will be adapting SU's to my T. Mine are off of a Austin Healey 948. Even got the manifold with it.
Let us know how it works out.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George n LakeOzark,Missourah on Thursday, August 18, 2016 - 11:42 pm:

Drive my car as much as possible.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Clayton Paddison on Friday, August 19, 2016 - 03:23 pm:

I finished my August project!

Got the Ruckstell shifter finished, mounted, the rod made, installed and tested!

Its nice and tight and shifts really well. That 4.30:1 low gear does really well too....laying black strips on the pavement with some good sounds! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Walker on Friday, August 19, 2016 - 03:31 pm:

Looks great, Clayton.

This weekend I re-laced a Hays demountable wire wheel. 48 spokes of fun.

Thank to Don and Tom for your guidance, was not nearly the challenge I thought it would be.

Now that the right-front wheel is straight and true, the others are much more noticeably out.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Friday, August 19, 2016 - 05:13 pm:

Mike,
Erik doesn't live in China, but there are signs on the road to his place that say, "SEE the Mystery Spot, just ahead!!"
:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Lovejoy, So Cal on Monday, August 22, 2016 - 12:30 am:

I drove my TT for the first time on the roads, been in my backyard atleast 7 years as I was working on it. Still not legal, but working on the paper work now. Every thing seemed to work as it should. Drove 4 miles to a scale to have it weighed for the dmv - 2,300 lbs - it was a big day for me! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael R Beary on Monday, August 22, 2016 - 03:39 am:

Placed Arrow turn signals on the fenders of TT pickup and TT express. I like the looks of them.

Helped my brother change 26-27 tranny mid week.

Placed Doodlebug and trailer in friends yard at 4 way to display football wins and losses. Sign with the name of team we will play on side of trailer.
All numbers and letters have DOT red tape. On front of windshield a big football cutout. Side of bug a player kicking and on back of trailer a referee. The cutouts are made out of half inch plywood and then painted. People love it. The worst thing is the bug sits outside for almost 3 months. I know what I will be doing every Friday night after the game. Change the team to be played and add a w to the rear wheel. Last year we went 12-0 before losing at state. I hope I don't have to post a loss on the front wheel. The cutouts will change as season moves along. The fans want something new after a couple weeks.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Gitts - Ferndale, WA on Monday, August 22, 2016 - 08:06 pm:

Got side tracked. Hand painted the lettering and striping on a 1916 Case 50 hp steam traction engine.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Gitts - Ferndale, WA on Monday, August 22, 2016 - 08:11 pm:

Also repainted an original Case dealer display eagle.

Now getting back to prepping my new wheels for my '13 town car, so that project can move forward.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Philip Berg on Sunday, August 28, 2016 - 01:38 am:

Finally started working on Carl, my 1911 Touring.

Carl - 1911 Touring

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Hoshield on Sunday, August 28, 2016 - 11:28 am:

Wow..... some wonderful pictures here! I don't have an app on my phone any more to resize pics for the forum.... but I FINALLY got a new exhaust manifold and bits to replace it, and get the drop pipe properly fixed to it. Also put on a exhaust pipe heat shield.

Next projects are replacing the band's and getting the ol' girl 'go'n & stop'n' properly, again! I'll be dismantling a Rubes (sp?) Horn to repair a puncture, then add the new flex line, Reed and bulb.

Stoked, in Detroit! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C on Sunday, August 28, 2016 - 08:30 pm:

Nice early 50 horse Les! (Long nose?) I have the occasion to run an early ('13) 80 horse Case once in awhile and the patriarch owner says "Duane, you're good engineer."
Makes me feel about ten feet tall. :-)
Nice thread!
My Tin Cup (the '18 roadster that just came home) is sucking up ALL of my time as I want to get it running and be able to run it out of the shed (and back) to work on MANY little things that it wants finished.
Today: Modifying the wiring on a 30 year old plus wood coil box kit to suit the cars with the switch on the box instead of up on the dash. Unsolder some wires and re-solder them to suit.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed Fuller on Sunday, August 28, 2016 - 08:46 pm:

Took mine for a drive!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Sunday, August 28, 2016 - 10:57 pm:

Les, I having a bad case of traction engine envy :-) :-) They look nice and that dealer eagle is not helping :-)

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration