T Touring Identification

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: T Touring Identification
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Laurel Simmons on Monday, August 01, 2016 - 08:21 pm:

Hello everyone,
I am glad to find your site. I am trying to ID the year of my uncle's T touring, I have looked at countless photos but have not come to a conclusion as to what year the auto is. Somewhere between 1913 and 1915 maybe? Flat front fenders with 'eyelashes', rear curved fenders and a 'stepped' cowling. All responses appreciated as I am trying to put a date to this photo.
Many Thanks,
Laurel SimmonsT Touring

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank van Ekeren (Australia) on Monday, August 01, 2016 - 08:24 pm:

The light rims don't look brass, so 1916 but if they are then 1915.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By charley shaver- liberal,mo. on Monday, August 01, 2016 - 08:30 pm:

bulb horn early 1915. charley

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wes Nelson ........Bucyrus, MO on Monday, August 01, 2016 - 09:26 pm:

The parking light bezels look brass so 1915, the cowl and hood former definitely 1915 and not 1913. Also the clothes look 1915 style, and this car looks shiny new which would date your picture at 1915.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Laurel Simmons on Monday, August 01, 2016 - 09:57 pm:

Glory, you all are awesome! I received 3 replies within an hour of posting! I believe they were showing off their new auto and 1915 fits with the landscape I know for the area at that time in Santa Monica California. Thank you SO much for your knowledge, by the way, what it that small unit attached to the rear of the vehicle, a light of some sort? Many thanks!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gilbert V. I. Fitzhugh on Monday, August 01, 2016 - 10:01 pm:

I think the "small unit" you're looking at is the saddle that the top would rest in when folded down. The top bows would lie in the saddle and be held together with a leather (or artificial leather) strap.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Monday, August 01, 2016 - 10:27 pm:

1915 for sure.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jeff Beaumont on Monday, August 01, 2016 - 11:35 pm:

You can see the fount of the taillight and the license plate between the 2 top spokes of the rear wheel.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George n LakeOzark,Missourah on Tuesday, August 02, 2016 - 12:34 am:

The wheels look to be a different color .

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Tuesday, August 02, 2016 - 12:39 am:

Might the bulb horn indicate an early 1915. Later ones came with a magneto horn and switch on top of the steering column.

Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Tuesday, August 02, 2016 - 08:37 am:

In the record of changes for October 1915 the following appears:

"OCT 16 Acc. 575, Box 19, Ford Archives
Electric horns specified for all 1916 cars. Notes that 10,000 electric horns were used in 1915 but the wording is such that there may have been more."

The bulb horn was standard equipment for all of 1915 model year which ended July 31, 1915. An electric horn was a possibility but a very rare one.

The car appears to be a typical 1915 touring made from about February through May 1915. The new, sturdier bodies with a rivet just forward of the rear door started to appear in June of 1915. This car does not have the later body.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Tuesday, August 02, 2016 - 09:24 am:

Is it possible the sturdier body actually started in Feb. 1915, per this letter?FEB 10 Acc. 509, Letter, Ford Archives
New type (1915 style) Runabouts and Tourings now being shipped from the Highland Park plant.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Tuesday, August 02, 2016 - 09:54 am:

Tim,

No, the dates that you mention are for the all wood framed 1915 bodies like the one on my car.

In January 1915 Ford shut down open car production and started to experiment with the new touring and runabout bodies. Factory records show that in January 1915 Ford built 24284 cars, of which there were only 36 tourings and 110 runabouts. All the other cars built that month were either chassis, center door sedans, or couplets.

In February 1915 touring production was starting slowly. That month Ford built 26274 cars, of which there were 5674 tourings and no runabouts.

Real 1915 tourings with the new body style are quite rare due to low production. Most of them have the wood framed body like mine, a very few made in June - July 1915 have the newer body with the rivet in front of the rear door.

February - June 1915 body:

Beginning in June 1915, the later body with rivet:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Laurel Simmons on Tuesday, August 02, 2016 - 06:43 pm:

Many, Many thanks for all of your knowledgeable responses to my question, I appreciate you taking the time to explain these things to me and to add photos for comparison. That makes sense that the thing sticking out is for the roof tie-down. I love old vehicles, I have a '48 pickup that I've owned for 50 years so I have appreciation for all of the work and restoration that all of you do on your T's. It's a plus to find a forum where people are nice to a newbie with simple questions. Bless you all!!
Laurel In Oregon

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Gillespie on Tuesday, August 02, 2016 - 09:52 pm:

I agree it is a 15

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Coiro on Tuesday, August 02, 2016 - 10:53 pm:

Yup. '15.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration