Transmission shaft alignment

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Transmission shaft alignment
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Tuesday, August 02, 2016 - 12:31 am:

I have a new transmission shaft mounted in the flywheel on my motor in the engine stand. The flywheel register was trued, as was the crank flange.

I now have .002 runout on the shaft, checked with a dial indicator. The runout is consistent over the length of the shaft, indicating that the whole shaft needs to be shifted a tad sideways. How should I go about this? The shaft is a knock in fit, so there is no room to move. Do I work on the shaft or the flywheel and dowels?

Hope you can help.

Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank van Ekeren (Australia) on Tuesday, August 02, 2016 - 01:39 am:

Allan
I would assume you have already tried a 180 rotate of the shaft and still have the same run out?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Bender Tulsa Oklahoma on Tuesday, August 02, 2016 - 09:58 am:

Allen
If you have done as Frank assumes with the same results, I find that the locator pins in the flywheel are nicked a bit. Remove them and spin in a three jaw using a fine hone to just clean up, install and check, your problem may be gone.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Robison on Tuesday, August 02, 2016 - 11:41 am:

I think .002 is well withing tolerance. If you are looking for .000 put a spot of weld on the edge of the big flange, chuck it up in the lathe and machine it off until .002" is left protruding, then pound the shaft in to the flywheel. This will force the assembly over.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kohnke Rebabbitting, Clare, Iowa on Tuesday, August 02, 2016 - 02:02 pm:

Allen, check to see if the crank was ground on the true center line, if not as in many, you would have to fix that to get it closer.

Also some of the new shaft have been found off.

Herm.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Gould, Folsom, CA on Tuesday, August 02, 2016 - 03:07 pm:

Two thou is good. Very good in fact. Be grateful you got it that close.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Trevan - Australia on Tuesday, August 02, 2016 - 05:15 pm:

Hi Richard .
Regards from Australia.

You still got he ''K'' ?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Bender Tulsa Oklahoma on Tuesday, August 02, 2016 - 08:14 pm:

Zero is better!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Tuesday, August 02, 2016 - 08:23 pm:

Hi fellows,
We have trued the mating faces on the driven plate and the brake drum so we have zero runout on the assembly. When this is added to the shaft we get .0005" runout at the fourth main. However, if we rotate the assembly on the shaft 180 degrees, we have .007" runout. This is what we need to correct.

My thoughts are if we correct the .002" shaft runout first, that will help. Then I was looking at fitting two new bushes in the brake drum and re-machining them to get them on absolute centre, we should have it. Are we on the right track?

My schedule for completing this car does not need this delay.

Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Bender Tulsa Oklahoma on Tuesday, August 02, 2016 - 08:36 pm:

sent you a PM

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kohnke Rebabbitting, Clare, Iowa on Tuesday, August 02, 2016 - 08:50 pm:

Zero is better! "END QUOTE"

Agree.

Herm.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Wednesday, August 03, 2016 - 07:37 am:

Mike, I was unable to open the link you sent me. Might be this damn new Windows 10!!

There have been some positive developments today. I removed the flywheel and shaft from the motor and swapped the shaft around 180 degrees. No difference. To be able to shift the shaft within the flywheel register, I machined .003" of the flange on the shaft. Now it is a push in fit rather than the heavy soft hammer drive in fit. At the same time, I reamed out the dowel holes on the flange just a tad. Then I removed and emery papered the dowels and re-fited them.

When re assembled, I still had .003" runout, whIch I still could not correct. In desperation, I took the flywheel off again, and rotated the shaft 180 degrees. This time it all went together with just .0005" runout. Phew!

Now when I fit the brake drum/driven plate assembly, the worst result is .003" at the worn end of the driven plate. In most positions of the crankshaft and the assembly on the trans shaft it is nearer .001" I'm happy with that.

Thanks for the help fellows. Tomorrow I hope to make some real progress'

Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Gould, Folsom, CA on Wednesday, August 03, 2016 - 10:18 am:

Hi Bob, I still have the Model F. Quite a car.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration