For the ones in here that use Rotella

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: For the ones in here that use Rotella
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Warren Henderson, Dunbarton, NH on Tuesday, August 02, 2016 - 08:35 am:

I saw this on the AACA forum. For the ones in here that use Rotella. "I just saw on my facebook feed an advertisement about the changing to a new style formula called CK-4 starting December 2016. Have you heard about this? I wonder if the Zinc content is going to be change?"

Happy motoring,

Warren

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Tuesday, August 02, 2016 - 09:02 am:

http://rotella.shell.com/rotella-products/pc-11.html

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Tuesday, August 02, 2016 - 09:20 am:

It's not just Rotella, all oils will be changing to meet Gov. & Engine Manufacturer's specifications. for my T I have stockpiled the old 30 Wt that I get at Rural King until I see what issues I hear about with the change over.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan B on Tuesday, August 02, 2016 - 09:24 am:

After reading Erik's link, it appears this only applies to Diesel engine oils?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Tuesday, August 02, 2016 - 09:28 am:

Rotella is made for diesel applications. The added zinc content is needed for some muscle car applications where valve spring pressures exceed 125# on the seat when closed and 300# when open, when using flat tappet lifters and cast iron camshaft blanks.

Zinc (ZDDP) is an extreme pressure anti scuffing agent that was added to motor oils beginning in 1955. It was not used in the Model T era, and was unnecessary in any Model T. It has no function in a Model T engine, but there are those who demand it nonetheless.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan B on Tuesday, August 02, 2016 - 09:38 am:

An alternative for those who desire high zinc content in their motor oil:

http://www.valvoline.com/our-products/motor-oil/vr1-racing-oil

Readily available at NAPA stores around here.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Warren Henderson, Dunbarton, NH on Tuesday, August 02, 2016 - 11:51 am:

What’s the difference between CK-4/FA-4 heavy duty engine oils and current engine oils?

In order to meet goals for more fuel-efficient engines and fewer emissions, many next-generation engines will run at higher operating temperatures. This will require changes in engine oil composition, so they can withstand more heat without sacrificing engine protection.

Isn't having better high heat protection a good thing?

Happy motoring,

Warren

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth LeBlanc on Tuesday, August 02, 2016 - 02:30 pm:

Warren dont you run a waterpump ? You shouldn't
have to worry about high heat protection (sometimes its to easy)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Tuesday, August 02, 2016 - 03:09 pm:

My opinion, for what it's worth, which is very little or less, as follows,.....

Interesting that this ZDDP thing keeps coming up on the forum. I really think that in the case of Model T Fords, it's really quite unimportant. In fact, I could perhaps suggest a pretty good analogy:

There are people who absolutely insist that "premium" gasoline is a good thing to put in ANY car. Well, truthfully, if it makes you feel good, go ahead and waste your money. The petroleum industry has absolutely "duped" the American public into thinking that "high octane PREMIUM" is something better. After all,....doesn't PREMIUM mean better? Well, yes it does, but in the case of gasoline, "PREMIUM" only means higher octane, and higher octane is only needed in engines with high enough compression to cause what we call,..."ping". If your compression is not high enough to cause that, forget it! In my opinion, the petroleum industry's introduction of the word "PREMIUM" for what we used to call "ethyl", was a stroke of genius in the area of deceptive and deceitful "marketing" practice. In fact, many very intelligent and "mechanically inclined" people don't even realize that that "high octane" is only a measure of the petroleum industry's efforts in modern chemistry to sort of "tame down" gasolines natural tendency to explode with too much violence in higher compression engines! But people still throw their money away on high octane "PREMIUM" and think that they're doing something "good" for their engine when they're actually just throwing money away!

Anyway, all of that to say (and sorry for the rant) that ZDDP is the same thing,.....a way to throw away money on something that has no measurable benefit with Model T Fords, as it's only necessary with modern high-performance engines with much higher tappet pressure and resultant cam scuffing on camshafts from valve springs much stronger that a Model T's valve springs. But it also won't hurt anything, so if it makes you feel good, and you have money to waste,.....go ahead and buy expensive motor oil with ZDDP (and PREMIUM gasoline for that matter) and throw your extra money away,.....the petroleum industry will love ya' for it! FWIW,.....harold

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Whelihan Danbury, WI on Tuesday, August 02, 2016 - 05:47 pm:

Harold, Most of us on here buy Premium (91 or better octane fuel) because that's the only stuff available locally that isn't adulterated with alcohol. In some applications other than the Model T, premium fuel is required due to higher compression ratios or equipment such as turbo-chargers. In those applications, the DET sensors so badly de-rate the engines that their fuel economy and performance is just awful. Premium has its place in the right applications. In the Model T though (even with a "high" compression head)its certainly not required unless you don't like oxygenated fuel...and that's your only option.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Tuesday, August 02, 2016 - 06:04 pm:

Kevin - Yup,....I understand, because here around the Tacoma area, I only know of one place where I can buy regular gasoline without alcohol, and lucky for me it's only about a four mile drive for me. There are quite a few places that sell the expensive non-alcohol "PREMIUM" and I've noticed that most of them are '76 Stations. Just right for a nice Model T ride that thoroughly warms up a T engine! I've really had good luck with Model A's and T's and lawn equipment and such since I've been using the non-alcohol regular gasoline,........harold

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Tuesday, August 02, 2016 - 06:11 pm:

By the way Kevin,....the wife and I used to spend a lot of time in your "neck-o'-the-woods"! When my wife was a kid, back in the '50's or so, and until just a few years ago, her parents had a place on the west side of Big McKenzie, and of course the main "shopping" area was Spooner. I remember that her dad (and us when we took the kids up there from the Chicago area on vacation) we've probably bought a lot of (at that time) "cut-rate" gasoline at Holiday! Are those Holiday gas stations still around in that area?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Whelihan Danbury, WI on Tuesday, August 02, 2016 - 06:38 pm:

Yes, Harold the Holiday stations are still around as is the one you are referring to in Spooner. Big McKenzie is a nice lake, been there a few times fishing. Last time I was in Spooner a couple weeks ago it was pretty quiet. The tourist traffic seems to mostly moved on to the Hayward area. Except for weekends, the nice thing about this area is that I can take the Model T out and drive about anywhere safely. Most folks aren't in a hurry and enjoy seeing the old beast on the road by the waves and "thumbs-up" I get. Still, the 7 month long winters are starting to get to me. Might be considering a change of scenery in the near future.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Warren Henderson, Dunbarton, NH on Wednesday, August 03, 2016 - 07:39 am:

Ken and others, I only mentioned the change coming out with Rotella (as well with all other oils) so readers would be informed. I do use Rotella and have preferred using that oil in my antique cars since I used it in my OTR trucking days. I don't believe in buying cheap gas or oil for my vehicles. I really wish that I could buy ethanol free gas and would gladly pay a higher price for it.

Happy motoring,

Warren

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan B on Wednesday, August 03, 2016 - 08:44 am:

Warren,

Have you visited the site pure-gas.org? It lists all the service stations which sell non-ethanol gas. Looks to me like there's a place in Bradford, NH and one in Milford, NH that may be close to you. Most of the time they are unbranded stations.

I drive 30 minutes to fill up my containers with non-ethanol gasoline for all of my machines. This is trivial compared to the amount of time I used to spend trying to get them running after they sat for a while and rebuilding carburators.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Warren Henderson, Dunbarton, NH on Wednesday, August 03, 2016 - 12:16 pm:

Thank you Dan, for the information. I checked with "pure-gas.org" and this is what I found:

Freedom Discount Beverages - UNBRANDED
117 Porter Rd, Freedom NH
603-539-2908
Ethanol-free octane ratings: 91
GPS coordinates: N 43.79786 W 71.00294 (located from address)
Updated by Dave C., July 23, 2016 11:23 CDT
Ethanol Free 91 Octane still available. Price now at $3.29/gal as of 7/23/16. May want to call first if you have a long trip as they ran out a few weeks ago and it took 10 days for a new delivery. Hope this helps.

Happy motoring,

Warren

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration