Help on 1927 Roadster Pickup

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Help on 1927 Roadster Pickup
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hurst Barbee on Tuesday, August 02, 2016 - 10:46 am:

Greetings expert Model T folks!

A am a car guy and have/had several classic cars but never a Model T. Since I always wanted one I kept looking and finally found what attracted me, a 1927 Roadster Pickup on the Gateway Classic Cars web site. It was expensive, but seemed to be perfectly restored and to be correct based on my web research. I probably would have spent much more to find a starter car and paid to have it restored myself.

However, I would like to be more knowledgeable about what is optional on the car and especially what, if anything, is not correct for the year. I am not really into showing at car shows or winning prizes, I just like to know what I have. Therefore, I was wondering if one of you would be willing to review the picture set that I pulled from the Gateway web site before they took them down. There are over a hundred quality pics from every possible angle and way too many to post here. I could send them to your email account as attachments.

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

Hurst

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Tuesday, August 02, 2016 - 10:52 am:

It appears to have 30X3 1/2 wheels. They never came with a natural finish.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Schreiber- Santa Isabel Ecuador on Tuesday, August 02, 2016 - 11:11 am:

Also, weren't the bed stake pockets further back on the 26-27's so the top could be lowered? Regardless, it is a nice looking truck.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Tuesday, August 02, 2016 - 11:17 am:

Nice Car. Boyce Moto-Meter is an option. to me those look like 21" wheels and the natural finish was available in late 26/27. I believe that if your radiator shell is painted then your headlight rings should also be black. the Nickel plated radiator shell was an option and then would have also had the nickel finish. See my profile picture.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Tuesday, August 02, 2016 - 11:25 am:

BTW before you try to start the engine be sure to move the spark lever (the one on the left of the steering wheel)all the way up to the to fully retard the spark :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Longbranch,WA on Tuesday, August 02, 2016 - 11:34 am:

23" wheels - no split in rim indicative of 21". P/U box appears to have front pockets set back - look at carriage bolts holding sideboards to uprights. Rare side-mount spare holder IF an original one.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Robison on Tuesday, August 02, 2016 - 11:34 am:

In 1926 the pockets were forward in 1927 they moved back about 6 inches as pictured.

(Message edited by mikerobison on August 02, 2016)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Tuesday, August 02, 2016 - 11:53 am:

We can't tell from this photo, but if there's an auxiliary transmission, meaning anything in addition to the foot controlled two speed planetary transmission, it would be an aftermarket item. Likewise a two speed rear end.

Also, if there are brakes on the rear wheels with bands outside the brake drum they are aftermarket.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Gumbinger, Kenosha, WI on Tuesday, August 02, 2016 - 12:11 pm:

The exterior rear view mirror and pick-up bed side boards are accessories. The correct tail lamp and license plate bracket mounted below the pick-up bed can be seen between the left rear wheel and fender. The correct rubber plug can be seen in the body side where the top rest iron would be on a roadster.

BTW, it's a really nice looking truck and you can be proud of it.

Keith

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Tuesday, August 02, 2016 - 01:26 pm:

All 100+ would be overkill, but it would be nice if you could post the following:
Front axle & steering
Engine compartment (both sides)
Pedals & other controls
Interior view
Rear axle & springs

You could add others as you see fit, but those six basic shots will reveal a lot not shown in this one picture, and what items may be legit or otherwise.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Tuesday, August 02, 2016 - 01:27 pm:

Hurst,

VERY nice truck! The 30 X 3-1/2" wheels would not have been common, but they are not "wrong". A friend of mine has, essentially, a carbon copy of your truck, with a documented past. He also has 30 x 3-1/2" wheels. The truck was ordered that way, as it was part of a fleet that consisted of several earlier T's, all using 30 x 3-1/2" tires. The common tire size made sense and as I understand it, this was not an uncommon thing for fleet owners to specify. It kind of tells me that this is an authentic pick-up, meaning that it was always a pick-up and not a Roadster with a pick-up box added later in its life. The rubber plugs, still located in the top support holes, as Keith points out, also suggests this to be the case.

As to the varnished spokes, they were probably black originally, but there's some debate over that.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Tuesday, August 02, 2016 - 02:11 pm:

G.R - I think all '26/'27 cars got the nickeled headlamp rims, even the ones with black radiator shrouds?

Br

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Tuesday, August 02, 2016 - 02:11 pm:

Sharp looking RPU.

The natural finished wood wheels were option with the balloon size 4:40x21 tires. Normally the demountable clincher wood wheels, 30x3 1/2 would be black (p/n 2814F2 rear , 11" drum).

But those varnished spokes look good with the varnished flare boards on the bed. :-)

Looks like a nice finished T, and probably runs well too, hope it has the magneto and trembler coils in the motor mount box...shame to have that nice T running a dizzy.....

P.S. Check the rear tire pressure, in the photo the rear tire is down, and the rubber stem of the tube is slanted, could be a flat in the future, with the stem sheared off. :-(

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hurst Barbee on Tuesday, August 02, 2016 - 02:35 pm:

Thanks for all your inputs so far. In response .

Yes, the tires are 30x3-1/2

I have not tried to lower the top, but I assumed that if the side rails were added, then the user could not lower it. Maybe if the boards are cut off flush with the front stake then the top could be lowered.

I believe I read that the headlight rings were nickel plated on all 26-27 cars and the plated radiator shell was optional on the open cars.

There are no modifications on the brakes.

The optional rear view mirror is useless if the top is up as it does not extend far enough out to see around the top.

I have attached more views as requested.

I think the restorer did an outstanding job at trying to keep the truck as original in appearance as possible. I was told it was owned by a gentleman in Detroit that owned a Ford dealership for a long time.
Front AxleEngine - REngine - LInterior - 1Interior - 2Interior - 3Rear AxleBedFront

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Lyon, PDX, OR. on Tuesday, August 02, 2016 - 02:49 pm:

Nice pickup, I'm envious, Don.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Tuesday, August 02, 2016 - 02:55 pm:

That's beautiful! The only thing I see amiss is the "wrong" wheels. Even if I kept them, I'd make them black as God and Henry intended. :-) (Yes, I know "natural" was an option.)

Overall it's a very impressive piece of work. Even the engine color is correct. If somebody wanted to give it to me I sure wouldn't turn it down.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Dugger on Tuesday, August 02, 2016 - 03:12 pm:

Hurst You have a great looking vehicle Keep it the way you see it.
To me on a scale of 1 to 10 it is 11

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Sean Butler Huntington Beach, CA on Tuesday, August 02, 2016 - 03:36 pm:

Very, very nice, Hurst. Thanks for sharing the great pics!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Schrope - Upland, IN on Tuesday, August 02, 2016 - 04:01 pm:

That's way to nice for me. I'd be afraid to drive it. It ought to be in the living room.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Eckensviller - Thunder Bay, ON on Tuesday, August 02, 2016 - 04:37 pm:

It's a very pretty truck and like the others I'd be hard pressed to change a single thing about it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Seth in Alabama on Tuesday, August 02, 2016 - 04:43 pm:

I'd leave the top up personally. It'll never be that clean and sharp after you lower it one time. Great looking pickup.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Tuesday, August 02, 2016 - 04:45 pm:

Beautiful pickup! You can adjust the angle of the arm on that side mirror so that you can see past the top.

Did it come with side curtain rods and side curtains?

My personal taste - I would want to be able to lower the top, maybe you can figure out a way to rig up some top rests on the stake panels so that you can at least lower the top most of the way back. It might look a little funny, you'll just have to try it and see if you like the look.

Congratulations on a great buy! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Albert Lemon on Tuesday, August 02, 2016 - 04:53 pm:

What ever you paid for it Hurst, "it was money well spent", that truck is beautiful. Liked Bill Dugger's answer, it's a 11 an then some.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Tuesday, August 02, 2016 - 05:01 pm:

Hurst

Nice runabout pickup!

Restored one back in 2001, but long since gone, to open garage space for other T projects :-)

As for the aftermarket outside rear view mirror, you might want to get the replica Ford style that fits to the upper windshield frame, that one can be angled and you can view out the rear curtain window.

Pickups normally kept the top up, as the bed would get covered. So most all have top up all the time.

Rear view mirror Ford version.

1926 early bed RPU restored from a good original, has wire wheels, and some added bling on nickel parts too.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hurst Barbee on Tuesday, August 02, 2016 - 07:43 pm:

Again, I sure appreciate all the advice and comments on the pickup. I don't personally know anyone who owns one and there just do not seem to be very many of them in the Houston area, so I would rely on the members of this forum for assistance.

As I mentioned in my initial post, the cost of the truck was high. I don't mind saying that I paid $19.500., but I also have done enough restoration work on newer vehicles to know that it is hard work, time consuming and not cheap to do.

The trap I always get myself into whether I restore or buy one is to wind up with something that I just want to keep in the garage and look at rather than going out and enjoying it. My new and lovely girlfriend scolds me for this so I will do my best to change this defect in character!

Also, if anyone lives near a city where there is a Gateway Classic Cars, it is a hoot just to go in and look around at the many classics that they have for sale there, or online where you can view them across all their stores.

Hurst

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron Patterson-Nicholasville, Kentucky on Tuesday, August 02, 2016 - 08:00 pm:

Hurst
Appears you have one of the hard to find dealer installed Roadster Pickup spare tire carriers offered late in 1927.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Wilson, Saint John NB, Canada on Tuesday, August 02, 2016 - 08:22 pm:

Nice to see that it still has the original "vaporizer" carburetor setup as many of these were removed and replaced with a regular Holley carburetor. I have one on my 27 Touring and have been told that I will get better starting and performance if I replace it with a Holley but I like the fact that it is original to the car and not often seen. It has never given me any trouble except once when the heating plate burned through. Always carry a spare as it will cause the car to die without warning if it fails. I think that many roadsters and touring cars came without the supports for the top and probably many tops were never lowered in the life of the car. My car came with the original rubber plugs in the holes where the supports mount. I installed supports but only because I have to lower the top to get my car into the trailer that I use. As for the 30x3 1/2 tires, there is an original 1926 touring in my area that came with these. The belief is that since it was sold in a rural area with mostly dirt/mud roads and a rainy/snowy climate, these were chosen to provide more ground clearance. Anyway it's a beautiful vehicle, hope you have lots of fun with it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Noonan - Norton, MA. on Tuesday, August 02, 2016 - 11:06 pm:

Great looking P/U Hurst, some may say you paid too much for it, but I've always been a believer that you can't put a price on happiness. Best of luck with it.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration