Starter ring gear indexing

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Starter ring gear indexing
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric Sole - Castelldefels (Spain) on Tuesday, August 02, 2016 - 10:53 am:

I marked the starter ring gear and flywheel with paint before disassembly but the paint rubbed off the flywheel so I have lost the index which was going to allow me to turn the ring gear 45 degrees which would give the starter a new set of teeth to chomp into when engaging the bendix.

I need to know in what position the crankshaft tends to stop. Searching earlier posts gave only one description saying that the pistons stop a little before top dead center due to the compression. That makes sense but I have my doubts since many engines give free starts which would indicate that they stop with a piston just past top dead center.

Can anyone with a functioning T engine confirm at what point the engine usually stops? Starting crank pin angle would be a perfect measurement. Thanks

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric Sole - Castelldefels (Spain) on Tuesday, August 02, 2016 - 12:14 pm:

I just remembered having bought an extra flywheel assembly, so took a look at the starter ring gear on it. Looks like the starter engaged about 6 teeth before top dead center on the engine this flywheel operated on.

So that solves my problem of mounting position of the starter ring gear but now makes it harder to understand how the free starts can be so plentiful on some engines. They either have very low compression or the engine needs to be revved up before shut down. Maybe I'm being mislead by the "false" free starts where the piston is being driven down but the crank is turning backward. This could easily occur with the engine stopped just before TDC.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Tuesday, August 02, 2016 - 01:16 pm:

Eric,

I know getting parts where you are is a problem but, honestly, you need to just buy a new ring gear.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ted Dumas on Tuesday, August 02, 2016 - 06:30 pm:

If the ring gear is basically good I would rotate it 90 degrees. if it is significantly worn I would replace it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric Sole - Castelldefels (Spain) on Tuesday, August 02, 2016 - 07:05 pm:

It worked fine as it was, I just figured now was a good time to give it a tweak and get another 90 years of service out of it ;)

Thanks for your input guys!

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration