12 V Starter Options

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: 12 V Starter Options
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Chaffin......Corona, CA on Tuesday, August 02, 2016 - 12:06 pm:

I am finishing up the engine for the RAJO Lake Style Roadster project. Since the compression on the engine will be considerable, I'm inclined to run a 12V starter. Are there any modern gear drive options available or any options readily available that are easily adapted. The magneto ring has been removed as well as the flywheel magnets. I also understand the starter ring gear will need to be flipped to have the drive engage on the opposite side. Any and all information for a source would be appreciated.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Tuesday, August 02, 2016 - 01:39 pm:

Mark,

"I also understand the starter ring gear will need to be flipped to have the drive engage on the opposite side."

WHY?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Tuesday, August 02, 2016 - 01:40 pm:

OH!

You said "modern gear drive options". Yes, you'd probably need to flip the gear as you mentioned.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Chaffin......Corona, CA on Tuesday, August 02, 2016 - 05:42 pm:

Yes. I need more torque than a standard starter.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Tuesday, August 02, 2016 - 06:17 pm:

I'm trying to think whether turning the ring gear around accomplishes what you are after (getting the lead-in correct). I'll have to go and look at the gear.
I assume you still have oil flying around by the starter?
A flathead V8 starter might give you the torque you need on 6 volts and easier to seal/reduce the oil leaks than any new style starter. Consider that the spring and bendix are still on the back. I haven't tried it, just thinking

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration