Sagging Front Spring

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Sagging Front Spring
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Osterman on Tuesday, August 02, 2016 - 04:03 pm:

My tires often bottom out against the underside of the fenders when I hit a bump. The clearance has always been pretty tight. I would love to find a better front spring or re arch the one on the car.

My question is ... what should the distance be between eyes on a 1919 vintage seven leaf front spring before mounting on a car?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Tuesday, August 02, 2016 - 04:22 pm:

When I had that happen I discovered more than one leaf in my spring was broken.

Do you maybe have a 26/27 spring? They had less arch.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Tuesday, August 02, 2016 - 05:15 pm:

Mark

The typical pre- '26 front spring is 31.5" eye center to eye center. Standing up on its eyes, the spring stack should measure 7" high overall.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Will Copeland - West Melbourne Florida on Tuesday, August 02, 2016 - 06:26 pm:

I had that problem, Turned out my front crossmember was broken in half dead center. If that's the problem you better get your oil pan to someone that has a jig. My car is a 1919.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Osterman on Tuesday, August 02, 2016 - 07:25 pm:

Actually my car has been like this for many years. No problem with the cross member ... and no broken springs ... just no height.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Ohio on Tuesday, August 02, 2016 - 09:03 pm:

When I had that problem I discovered that I ate too many doughnuts! :-) To lighten the load on the spring I just had my wife get out and walk.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Tuesday, August 02, 2016 - 09:06 pm:

I wonder what the factory height was when the cars were new - My '24 has a good 6+ inches between the tops of the front tires and the fenders.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Wednesday, August 03, 2016 - 11:07 am:

Could it be possible that you have a 27 spring on that car? The late 27 actually had a dip in the center of the axle to prevent the center of the spring from bottoming out. The spring had less arch than the earlier T's.
Norm

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration