Plastic tack strip

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Plastic tack strip
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Corey Walker, Brownsboro TX on Tuesday, August 02, 2016 - 05:40 pm:

In Langs catalog they list a 3/4 by 3/4 plastic tack strip sold in 8.5' lengths. Is this something I could get at a lumber yard or hardware store?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Semprez-Templeton, CA on Tuesday, August 02, 2016 - 05:51 pm:

I used 1X4 PVC "wood" trim from Home Depot, then ripped 3/4" strips on the table saw. It helps to warm the strips in the sun to get them to form around the body curves then clamped them in place to drill and bolt them in place. the PVC wood hold tacks better than wood in my opinion. The trim wood is white but takes paint nicely.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Laughary on Tuesday, August 02, 2016 - 05:53 pm:

Pictures?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Thomas Mullin on Tuesday, August 02, 2016 - 06:01 pm:

How do you fasten the tack strip to the car body?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By charley shaver- liberal,mo. on Tuesday, August 02, 2016 - 06:05 pm:

for 3/4 tack strips i use 1/8 " black leaxan in layers it holds tacks & staples you have to brake them off if you goof. charley

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Corey Walker, Brownsboro TX on Tuesday, August 02, 2016 - 07:03 pm:

The 1 by 4 pvc trim at Home Depot are solid plastic I guess? With the 1/8" Lexan strips, do you glue them all together?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Will Brown on Tuesday, August 02, 2016 - 08:53 pm:

Thomas. You bolt them same as you would the wood strips with flat head machine screws countersinking the heads. I molded my strip the same shape as the wood would have been.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By charley shaver- liberal,mo. on Tuesday, August 02, 2016 - 09:12 pm:

you guys will think i am crude but i nail them on ever 2", bend the nail over on the back side. charley

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Thomas Mullin on Tuesday, August 02, 2016 - 09:21 pm:

Will, Thank you.

Tom

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tony Howard ( Australia) on Wednesday, August 03, 2016 - 06:55 am:

I just did the tack strips on my Aussie Geelong Body '26, but I used imported American Ash and steam bent it to the car. Left it clamped in situ for 24 hours and the bolted it back down.I made the steam chamber out of a length of cattle yard steel rail and shoved the steam cleaner in the end,set it with a slope back to the water tank of the steamer and put the timber in and had a long lunch. 2 hours late it bent fairly easily

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tony Howard ( Australia) on Wednesday, August 03, 2016 - 06:58 am:

If anyone can tell me why this stupid computer takes a photo from my files and posts it upside down,I'd be fascinated to listen!!!!!
This is the finished project.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Susan Harrington--Lowcountry SC on Wednesday, August 03, 2016 - 11:51 am:

I used the 3/4' black plastic strips from Fordwood. The were easy to install; I used a heat gun to soften and form them to the seat shells. Then used the bolts supplied to fasten them in place. I used an air stapler to fasten the upholstery to the new plastic strips. I did have a problem driving the large round head trim tacks into the strips. I had to use an awl to create starter holes for the tacks, but that was a lot of trouble when the tacks are every 2 inches. We used the PVC from Home Depot for our house trim and I think that might work better. It seems to be less dense.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration