OT Patent Search

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: OT Patent Search
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Patrick in Florida on Tuesday, August 02, 2016 - 07:44 pm:

I just purchased a house with an old pull down attic ladder patented on December 3, 1929. I found this date on a very dilapidated label on the right side rail of the ladder. Not much else was discernible except that it had the name _ictor. Perhaps Victor, but I cannot be sure what the first letter is. Please see pictures

The ladder will not pull up by itself and I have been attempting to repair it to no avail. the top rung of the ladder has a long spring attached to it just above a revolving drum which is attached to the door. Just below that is another long spring attached to the door. Down lower, on the third rung from the bottom is a wood screw eyelet. Somehow, a cable attached to the upper spring is supposed to pull the rest of the ladder up, utilizing the drum, and hold it in place while the door is closed up in the ceiling. The drum spins freely and does not appear to have a takeup spring inside.

In the past many of you have been able to find patent drawings with minimum of details. I am submitting this in the hopes that someone will be able to come up with a set of patent drawings for this pull down sliding ladder that has the cable configuration which I can use to repair this pull down ladder, or, if someone has a ladder like this and can send me pictures of the cable configuration, that would be the next best thing. Thank you in advance, to anyone who can help me.

Sincerely,

Jim Patrick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Tuesday, August 02, 2016 - 08:13 pm:

Post a better photo of the label.

Maybe we can discern the name of the manufacturer above the word "Victor." Also, the printing immediately below "Victor."

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Patrick in Florida on Tuesday, August 02, 2016 - 08:18 pm:

Did a little more research and discovered the manufacturer was Farley & Loetscher Mfg. Co. The small distance between the wall and ladder prohibit the taking of a better picture. Thank you.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Townsend ; ^ ) Gresham, Orygun on Tuesday, August 02, 2016 - 08:48 pm:

Jim-
Maybe there was a spring (that has sprung)inside the cable drum to assist in its ascent

: ^ )

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Tuesday, August 02, 2016 - 08:50 pm:

Found articles and ads in trade journals for Farley & Loetscher Presto Disappearing Sliding Stairway but seems quite different in design compared to what you have.

Could not find anything for Farley & Loetscher "Victor."

https://www.google.com/search?client=safari&rls=en&q=Farley+%26+Loetscher+presto &ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&gws_rd=ssl#q=%22Farley+%26+Loetscher%22+presto+sliding+stairw ay

https://books.google.com/books?id=Gl1AAQAAMAAJ&pg=PA209&lpg=PA209&dq=%22sliding+ stairs%22+Farley-Loetscher&source=bl&ots=F8IIeyw4rF&sig=WZyGd9U9kSGNE4KVn8gLVd7t ue8&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiih_fd_qPOAhWlx4MKHcsdBIYQ6AEIKzAG#v=onepage&q=%22slid ing%20stairs%22%20Farley-Loetscher&f=false

https://m.facebook.com/ykyguidiiyr/photos/a.568907179870823.1073741900.130170407 077838/1002658793162324/?type=3&_ft_=top_level_post_id.1002658793162324%3Atl_obj id.1002658793162324%3Athid.130170407077838%3A306061129499414%3A69%3A0%3A14594939 99%3A-4921629265672048527&__tn__=E

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Tuesday, August 02, 2016 - 08:58 pm:

Did find a reference to "Victor." There is a Farley & Loetscher suspended stairway catalog page for sale on eBid.

When this page opens, click on the photo - the Victor is show lower right:

http://www.ebid.net/us/for-sale/farley-loetscher-mfg-company-1938-suspended-stai rways-vintage-catalog-144759475.htm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Thomas Mullin on Tuesday, August 02, 2016 - 09:18 pm:

Yopu can chec the Patent Office Gazette for Tuesday, December 3, 1929, to get the actual patent number. Then it is easy to look up the patent information.

Using the issue date of December 3, 1929 and limiting the search to December 1928 and January 1930, and the search term "stair", I found Patent 1,737,799 at Google Patent

The pictures look like your stairway. A detailed description of how it works, along with explanation of the various tag letters, is in the Google page.

stair 3

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Patrick in Florida on Wednesday, August 03, 2016 - 01:52 am:

That's it Thomas. Tomorrow, I will be re-routing the cables and I'm sure my stairs will work as intended. Thank you everyone. You are all amazing! Jim Patrick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Patrick in Florida on Wednesday, August 03, 2016 - 06:33 pm:

It works! Thank you, thank you, thank you! Now, onto the next project. Jim Patrick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Freighter Jim on Wednesday, August 03, 2016 - 06:46 pm:

Jim,

Taint' nuttin ' ...

Next week there will be a step by step illustrated appendectomy thread for " do it yourselfers " complete with illustrations ....

Freighter Jim

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration