By the tracks-Photo What happened?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: By the tracks-Photo What happened?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Herb Iffrig on Tuesday, August 02, 2016 - 08:49 pm:

I have to wonder what happened here?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Ohio on Tuesday, August 02, 2016 - 08:55 pm:

"I told you not to mash the low peddle when we were doing 35!"

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By charley shaver- liberal,mo. on Tuesday, August 02, 2016 - 09:06 pm:

i dont think it hit a train, not enough real damage, i think they just took it apart????? charley

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Tuesday, August 02, 2016 - 09:06 pm:

Herb, I would love to know where that was taken. It is in Arkansas due to the sign. There are not many good photos from the T era from Arkansas. Nice picture, thanks for posting it ...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Blake, Kansas City on Tuesday, August 02, 2016 - 09:08 pm:

That's the "before" photo of Hurst's 27 RP 😀

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Tuesday, August 02, 2016 - 09:10 pm:

I agree with Charley. Probably just being parted out. and probably on the "poor side" of the tracks ....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Hagerty on Tuesday, August 02, 2016 - 09:16 pm:

Such as life on the 'wrong' side of the tracks!
First glance was a 'tie' in the race with the train. But, there appears to be a few extra parts suggesting a salvage yard of some sort or it was put out to pasture on private property. Looks to be a steering column just past the hogshead and engine block. Makes you feel sad for the ole' truck!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Laughary on Tuesday, August 02, 2016 - 09:19 pm:

Used Reverse as a brake?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Wells, Hamilton Ontario on Tuesday, August 02, 2016 - 10:02 pm:

Maybe cars crash there often and people simply abandon the remains, hence the sign.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary H. White - Sheridan, MI on Tuesday, August 02, 2016 - 10:04 pm:

Wow. That was one fast train.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Luke----central TX. on Tuesday, August 02, 2016 - 10:40 pm:

dynamite.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Peter Borland. Bathurst. NSW. Australia. on Wednesday, August 03, 2016 - 12:39 am:

Starter is still in the hogshead.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Wednesday, August 03, 2016 - 02:08 am:

I convinced myself that the car was not hit by a train causing the engine to be thrown out. The left front fender and wheel appear to be on the car and intact. I cannot visualize a way an engine could be thrown out and torn apart leaving that much of the front still together and fairly straight. At least, not by a train. Coupled that with the fact that cast iron block and hogshead neatly separated from the rolled steel pan. The blown-apart transmission thread clearly showed that cast iron breaks up into little pieces, some of which stay bolted to the pan.
Great photo though! Does make one look closely and think.
Drive carefully, and enjoy, W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By gary hammond on Wednesday, August 03, 2016 - 04:26 am:

Perhaps the driver had Mexican the nite before.....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank van Ekeren (Australia) on Wednesday, August 03, 2016 - 05:30 am:

May be the driver did stop at the second stop sign, that put him smack bang on the track!
Now would that have been put there by a clever rail worker or a road gang worker?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eugene Story on Wednesday, August 03, 2016 - 07:15 am:

Are school puts a wrecked car across the street from the high school kids parking lot to make them think about their driving.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Whelihan Danbury, WI on Wednesday, August 03, 2016 - 07:20 am:

I kinda wonder if it was on a some other flatbed or something headed to the scrap yard and fell off after hitting the bump of the tracks? A train hit wouldn't take the pan off the block that clean. Looks to have been disassembled prior to being deposited on the side of the road.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Herb Iffrig on Wednesday, August 03, 2016 - 08:29 am:

Gary Hammond has it figured out.
The might before caught up with him!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Wells, Hamilton Ontario on Wednesday, August 03, 2016 - 09:45 am:

The plate glass windshield isn't even broken but is pretty dirty indicating it has sat for a while. This is probably The Great Depression. Could be someone tried to get it running and found a serious problem and gave up.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erich Bruckner, Vancouver, WA on Wednesday, August 03, 2016 - 12:05 pm:

Is it my eyes or does it look like the block and hogs head cover castings both have large sections broken away?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Warren F Rollins on Wednesday, August 03, 2016 - 12:35 pm:

For Sale. Disassembled for your inspection

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By charley shaver- liberal,mo. on Wednesday, August 03, 2016 - 12:46 pm:

Erick! i dont see it. charley

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Wednesday, August 03, 2016 - 01:38 pm:

Yep very strange--but what's with that steering wheel? Late '27 wheel or ???

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Noel D. Chicoine, MD, Pierre, SD on Wednesday, August 03, 2016 - 10:53 pm:

I seem to remember a passage in "The Grapes of Wrath" where their vehicle broke down and they took a piston out of a wrecked car that had been hit by a train and got their car going again. Maybe this is the donor car.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stan Howe Helena, Montana on Thursday, August 04, 2016 - 12:18 am:

Considering that the manifolds are laying on the fender my guess would be that they pulled the engine to see what was wrong with it and then abandoned the whole thing; took the new tubes out of the tires, took the coils and what little stuff they could pack with them and left it.

Or maybe they went to get parts and when they came back the tubes and rims were gone -- never know.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Adam Doleshal on Thursday, August 04, 2016 - 10:46 am:

"Ran and drove good when parked"

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Thursday, August 04, 2016 - 02:13 pm:

Just a pile of abandoned stuff. There's even a second steering column laying beyond the engine & hogshead.

Noel,

I though about that same passage from Grapes of Wrath. I love that book. Favorite part was when they left Noah behind. Dad read it many years before me, (probably when it was first published), he saw I was reading it and just said, "It never gets ant better for them".

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charlie B actually in Toms River N.J. on Thursday, August 04, 2016 - 03:56 pm:

True only the Lft front fender is visible as far as nose damage goes but I don't feel that this is a train hit. Sure looks like a field stripped car. Appears the pan is removed/gone. Quite a few odd bits laying around too.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Darel J. Leipold on Thursday, August 04, 2016 - 06:25 pm:

I can not place the license plate. It is a high number and the year appears to be on the right. I searched all the southern states and the big states for the 1920s and30s on the license plates of the world web site. It does not seem match any plates.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike on Thursday, August 04, 2016 - 06:55 pm:

I loved the movie, even though they did change it up a bit.....your dad was right....it never gets better for them....ya, that part where they wrap the copper wire around the rings to get the piston is was an unusual amount of detail for a book wasn't it....

I agree that this was probably a desolate spot near the tracks where stuff got thrown or abandoned. Common when we were kids, but non-existant today....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charlie B actually in Toms River N.J. on Thursday, August 04, 2016 - 07:06 pm:

Steinbeck was a T guy for sure. Bits turn up in a number of his books and you can tell he knew what he was talking about. Cannery Row has a great bit concerning the hobo's getting a T ready for a trip and a bit later on when the tip breaks off the carb adj. needle. East of Eden has a superb bit where a Model T salesman demonstrates starting & running a T. Don't recall if the Grapes of Wrath truck was a Dodge? Your Dad was right for sure. In fact the movie ends where the book should have as the last 3 chapters are redundant.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Barrett in Auburn Ca. on Thursday, August 04, 2016 - 07:23 pm:

It's too far from the tracks to have been hit by a train. Abandoned and broken up for parts.
I read Grapes of Wrath many years ago. I liked the parts about repairing the car along the way. I think it was a Dodge. Lots of Steinbeck's work has interest to old car people. The rest of it I can't comment on as political stuff is inappropriate here.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tony Bowker, Ramona, CA on Thursday, August 04, 2016 - 11:17 pm:

Maybe it's my old eyes but isn't the starter on the wrong side of the hogs head?
It sure looks like it is on the right side.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Hagerty on Thursday, August 04, 2016 - 11:23 pm:

We are looking at the front of the hogshead. The starter is on the left side. And figuring it's a left hand drive, you can see at least a couple of the pedals as well, on the left side. The steering column appears to be resting on them.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration