Transmission bands. Newbie

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Transmission bands. Newbie
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jonathan Delancey on Tuesday, August 02, 2016 - 09:11 pm:

Need to change the low gear transmission band on the 1919 Roadster. Not sure if it has detachable ears on the band or not. Is this very difficult to do. I am somewhat mechanical.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Laughary on Tuesday, August 02, 2016 - 09:14 pm:

I have only tightened mine so far but I'll follow this thread to learn.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Doolittle on Tuesday, August 02, 2016 - 09:50 pm:

Look on ebay
This type uses the round riveted removable ear:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ford-Model-T-TT-1926-27-transmission-bands-button-style- detachable-ears-/371661429349

This one has the slotted removable ear. 2nd from the left:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ford-Script-Model-T-Transmission-Bands-Lot-of-5-/1220518 82856

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jonathan Delancey on Wednesday, August 03, 2016 - 02:03 am:

I don't thing I want to use kevlar because of the heating of the drum. Where can I get the cotton lining?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Wednesday, August 03, 2016 - 02:15 am:

Any of the parts dealers will have them. If you're using cotton you'd better have the screen too.

(Message edited by steve_jelf_parkerfield_ks on August 03, 2016)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Wednesday, August 03, 2016 - 09:13 am:

Jonathan I see by your profile that your a new poster. If you've just bought your T was it in use and driving well?

Also it would be a good idea to get yourself the Ford service manual. This is a necessity for anyone learning and working on T's.

This and other manuals are available on the MTFCA website.

If the low band needs replacing I would change then all out at the same time if you you're going to the trouble of removing of just removing the low band. This depends of course on how long it was that the bands were replaced.

If your going to own a T changing the bands is a real learning expierence. Some prefer to remove the transmission cover whether it has the detachable ears or not. If you decide to do it with the cover on. Be careful not to drop any thing in the crankcase! Stuff the cover full of rags. You will glad that you did!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Wednesday, August 03, 2016 - 09:24 am:

Along with what John said, here's more about what you need first: http://dauntlessgeezer.com/DG80.html

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Tillstrom 30 miles N of Memphis TN on Wednesday, August 03, 2016 - 09:41 am:

I have gotten two T's to run that have set for years. In both cases, the bands were rotten and wore out within 100 miles as the engine was left with dirty oil in both cases. Dirty oil is acidic and will do to the bands the same thing battery acid will do to your favorite pair of jeans.

If this is a car that was setting and recently got running, go ahead and plan on removing the transmission cover, relining all three bands and use an old piece of cable to push through the oil line.

If the engine doesn't have a good oil line that has verified flow, now is the time to install the fitting on the hogshead so that it does. I have no faith in the mag post oil line.

True up your bands after relining as that will aid them in taking up smoothly.

Lastly, I would run Kevlar using caution to ensure the band relaxes away from the drum and correct worn parts as you do the job. The advice to adjust so the pedal is with an inch of the floor assumes there is no wear in the cams and that the pedal aren't bent. I have heated and bent a bunch of them to fit the floorboards so the band is actually relaxed.

Opinions will vary, that is mine.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jonathan Delancey on Wednesday, August 03, 2016 - 01:15 pm:

John, I have the service book and it gives good directions. I plan to change them all. Not sure yet if they are removable ears or not. One other thing. On some forums it states to remove the Bendix before removing the starter, but the service manual says they come out in one unit?!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Wednesday, August 03, 2016 - 01:29 pm:

No. Look again. Page 227, Paragraph 953.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harvey Cash - Winnemucca Nevada on Wednesday, August 03, 2016 - 01:41 pm:

Jonathan, Just make sure that you stuffffff the transmission full of rags so their is no possibility of dropping anything into the transmission. I speak from recent experience of dropping the reverse nut and washer into the transmission which facilitated hogs head removal, ( not for the timid) what a job. Luckily many members of this site helped me with that problem. Harv

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jonathan Delancey on Wednesday, August 03, 2016 - 01:48 pm:

I see that, but as I read page 131 paragraph 513 says the starter and Bendix can be lifted out in one unit. Read somewhere if you leave it on, it can damage the magneto! How can that happen.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Wednesday, August 03, 2016 - 01:52 pm:

The Bendix needs to be removed before the starter can come out. If you try to do it without removing the Bendix first you can damage the insulation or worse the windings on the magneto ring. It just wont come out until the Bendix is removed.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Wednesday, August 03, 2016 - 02:11 pm:

Jonathan the key word in paragraph 513 is 'raise'.

By raising the transmission cover it makes room for the starter Bendix to clear the mag ring.
This is the manual section for the removing the old style non detachable bands.

You don't have to remove the starter with the detachable ears if your only trying to replace the bands through the transmission cover.

For me its always easier to remove the starter first by removing the Bendix if I'm trying to completely remove the cover.

The manual is correct in both places. Its depending on how you want to do it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jonathan Delancey on Wednesday, August 03, 2016 - 02:25 pm:

Old style bands, need to remove hogshead

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Zibell, Huntsville, AL on Wednesday, August 03, 2016 - 03:54 pm:

Recommend picking up a set of removable ear bands for the install. It will make any future band changes easier. Removing and installing the hogs head in the car is not fun. Also Kevlar will give better service, just be sure the bands are not adjusted too tight. There is also a thread on having a gap in band material at the bottom so more oil contacts the drum. I believe this is a good idea when using Kevlar band material.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Craig Anderson, central Wisconsin on Wednesday, August 03, 2016 - 04:01 pm:

As far as Kelvar goes check out this thread >>> http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/257047/269410.html

I did my Kevlar linings the Kohnke way too.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Wednesday, August 03, 2016 - 11:33 pm:

"Read somewhere if you leave it on, it can damage the magneto! How can that happen."

As John pointed out, pulling the starter forward without raising the hogshead and the Bendix attached, the Bendix can hit the magneto coils and wreck them. The Page 131 reference to removing the starter and Bendix together is with the hogshead raised.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration