Has anyone seen a timer / commutator like this?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Has anyone seen a timer / commutator like this?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Martin on Tuesday, August 02, 2016 - 10:20 pm:

This is a timer that Ford made in 23-24. Note the flanged holes for the pull rod. The "Ford" script runs vertical between the arm rivets.

Does anyone have one of these? Thanks!

Dave
a

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerome Hoffman, Hays Kansas on Tuesday, August 02, 2016 - 10:58 pm:

Inventor or Solid Works?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron Paetz on Thursday, August 04, 2016 - 05:06 pm:

I am pretty sure I have several of them ,I would have to dig thru them to be positive.
I have over 100 ford script timers

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Thursday, August 04, 2016 - 05:14 pm:

Are the judging standards getting that detailed?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Thursday, August 04, 2016 - 05:15 pm:

LOL, Larry, they might have to if the quality of the restorations keeps climbing!

Just ask the Corvette guys... :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Harper - Keene, NH on Thursday, August 04, 2016 - 11:17 pm:

Ron Paetz stated:
"I have over 100 Ford script timers."

Whew, I'm pleased that you are protecting them from the hoarders. Just kidding.

100 timers, golly, that's more than a lifetime supply; that quantity will last until the sun goes into supernova.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Martin on Saturday, August 06, 2016 - 12:20 pm:

Ron, Could you post a picture or confirm that they do indeed exist? I'd be interested in trading another Ford script timer if you're interested. Although, it's probably hard to find one you don't have! Thank you.

Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron Paetz on Sunday, August 07, 2016 - 03:20 pm:

will look tomorrow

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Sunday, August 07, 2016 - 09:15 pm:

David. I looked thru my stash of new and old timers (over 100) and did not find one like you show with the flanges. Must be a rare item.... Maybe Ron will find one .....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Monday, August 08, 2016 - 11:10 am:

The illustration posted above looks like it's from a Mac's catalog. I'd prefer to see a picture of a real Ford timer!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Monday, August 08, 2016 - 11:15 am:

Larry,

I suppose if he had one to photograph he wouldn't have started this thread to begin with.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron Paetz on Monday, August 08, 2016 - 11:34 am:

I have 195+ Ford script timers, and 1000 timers all together. I could not find any with that type of arm. All my Ford timers look like the picture attached showing the two types.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Monday, August 08, 2016 - 12:05 pm:

David,

How is it that you know Ford made such a variation? I'm sometimes skeptical of original drawings versus how things actually got made.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Monday, August 08, 2016 - 12:25 pm:

It's from the encyclopedia: http://www.mtfca.com/encyclo/S-T.htm#timer

"06-14-23 5925B Commutator Case Lever. Redesigned, specifying edges to be straight instead of flanged.
07-02-23 5925B Commutator Case Lever. Redesigned, eliminating the bushing (bent into a “U” at top).
07-12-23 5925B Commutator Case Lever. Specified flanges around holes for pull rod.
07-18-23 5925B Commutator Case Lever. Changed width between bosses for pull rod from 1/4” to 1/2”.
12-17-23 5925B Commutator Case Lever. Removed flange from holes for pull rod.
04-01-24 5925B Commutator Case Lever. Specified name “Ford” be stamped horizontally instead of vertically.
12-23-24 5925B Commutator Case Lever. Changed length of foot from 1-1/64” to 15/16”
12-23-24 5925B Commutator Case Lever. Changed thickness to thicker scrap from T-1828 or T-1894.
The lever bent into a “U” shape appeared on 7-2-23. The first levers were narrower between the bosses for the pull rod holes. Then ten days later they put flanges around the pull rod holes. This lasted about five months when the flanges were eliminated. Note that the levers got wider on 7-18-23."

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Monday, August 08, 2016 - 01:05 pm:

Thanks Roger!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron Paetz on Monday, August 08, 2016 - 02:33 pm:

Roger do you know when the bottom one was used
thanks Ron

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Monday, August 08, 2016 - 02:39 pm:

Looked at mine. I have a couple boxes of Ford timers, none like the drawing.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Martin on Monday, August 08, 2016 - 04:44 pm:

Jerry, You're correct, I pulled a number of prints from the archives to understand the progression of steel case timers. Many times I've found prints that indicate "experimental" or "never used", but that isn't the case for these timer arms.

I've looked for a few years for any timer with flanged holes or the narrow (1/4" wide) connector between the two holes. I've never laid eyes on either, so I thought I'd ask.

Ron, Donnie, and Royce; Thank you for taking the time to look thru hundreds of timers to help me. I really appreciate the effort.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Martin on Monday, August 08, 2016 - 04:57 pm:

For reference, the 1/4" wide connector is shown below.(As Rodger stated above: 07-18-23 5925B Commutator Case Lever. Changed width between bosses for pull rod from 1/4” to 1/2”)

The script on this one supposedly runs vertical as well.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration