Speedometer ideas

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Speedometer ideas
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Laughary on Wednesday, August 03, 2016 - 12:31 pm:

There is just too much glare on my phone APP and GPS tablet.

Using the "Night Mode" display helps, but I am searching for a better temporary solution, possibly with a white background. I would like to avoid altering the car.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Wednesday, August 03, 2016 - 01:09 pm:

Bike speedometer, under $25.

LED light, under $5.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brian Beatty _Kansas City on Wednesday, August 03, 2016 - 01:48 pm:

Probably not what you are looking for but here's an option. I would like to get a Timewise 825 for my speedster. I'm told they are approved for use in many road rallys.

They are expensive but look okay and are very accurate!

http://www.timewise.us/products/825.html

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Laughary on Wednesday, August 03, 2016 - 02:17 pm:

Good ideas! First, I am ordering a bike speedo, next I want to find a used Timewise

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Wednesday, August 03, 2016 - 02:51 pm:

How about an authentic period speedometer made specifically for a Model T? Hope that doesn't scare you!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Schreiber- Santa Isabel Ecuador on Wednesday, August 03, 2016 - 03:07 pm:

Possibly an interim use till he knows and understands his T, Larry. But as always great advice (tongue firmly planted in cheek) :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Laughary on Wednesday, August 03, 2016 - 03:17 pm:

I have never seen a period speedometer for a T. Where can I find pictures?

So far I have never even ridden in another T. Bought it late at night between rainstorms June 6, trailered it 700 miles home, and started it a week later. The first time I got it started it was my first time to pay any attention to the sound of a T, and it was music to my ears.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Wednesday, August 03, 2016 - 03:21 pm:

Lang's sells a modern speedo with gear drive set off the front wheel, $400, but has large easy to read dials for us older T'ers. Photo taken on a tour of a nice install of one of these units.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Zibell, Huntsville, AL on Wednesday, August 03, 2016 - 03:45 pm:

As Dan said, Langs has the gear driven speedometer. They also sell a way to mount it to the steering column so you won't need to cut the dash. I've been wanting to install one for some time, but something always takes priority for the $400.00.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Garnet on Wednesday, August 03, 2016 - 05:26 pm:

Get a gps powered speedo ... speedhut sells them. Hook up 12 volts and away you go. Some give you extra timing and speed features. Design your gauge graphics the way YOU want and they make it for you. Power it from a cordless 12v drill battery if yer T is 6v.

Garnet

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Laughary on Wednesday, August 03, 2016 - 06:04 pm:

Thx Dan, John & Garnett

Shopping now

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Coiro on Wednesday, August 03, 2016 - 06:56 pm:

The complete, mechanical speedometer kit that Lang's sells goes for $400.00, which I take to be a very fair price. _But that's still at least a hundred bucks more than this Speedhut GPS setup which is ridiculously simple to install and features a clock, a compass and two types of odometers (total and trip).

http://www.speedhut.com/gauge/GR338-GPS-13/1/GPS-Speedometer-Gauge-60mph

One of the Speedhut unit's nice features is the ability to customize the appearance with a choice of numeral fonts, dial colors, tick-marks, pointer colors and even the color of the bezelóbrass in this case. _I chose a 60 mph dial, the brass bezel and the little Jesus fish graphic. _At $260.00, it costs about the same as your average talking GPS navigator. _To my mind, it was an even toss-up as to which type of unit I wanted, so I decided to save some bucks and go with the GPS unit.

After having lived with the thing in my car for about a year, the only bad thing I can say about it is that, like any GPS unit, it needs satellite contact to work and sometimes, trees, tall buildings or other obstructions do get in the way and the unit will fall asleep for as long as several minutes at a time. _That unfortunate habit also puts gaps in the mileage totaled on the unit's odometer.

Speedhut's mounting hardware, by itself, won't work on a Model T because of the odd shape of the steering column's cross-section, so I made a "sandwich block" out of soft pine (which is very easy to contour with ordinary files), painted it black and mated it to Speedhut's mount.

I realize, of course, a column-mounted speedometer that works with orbiting satellites is about as non-period correct as you can get, but authentic, working, antique speedometers are hard to come by, are very expensive and, when mounted in the correct position on the dashboard, rather difficult to read.

To make the installation less conspicuous, I mounted the speedo low on the column, inside the cowl. _The brass bezel makes it look kind of official and maybe it might even fool a non-expert. _Maybe.

The installation was fairly straightforward and I wired it up so the dial and pointer would light up any time my master switch is on. _One of the neat things about a GPS speedometer is that tire diameter doesn't matter, so no calibration is needed. _Just give the thing 12-volts and it works.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Laughary on Wednesday, August 03, 2016 - 07:29 pm:

Very nice!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Garnet on Wednesday, August 03, 2016 - 08:40 pm:

Mine says FORD on it

Garnet

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Wednesday, August 03, 2016 - 11:06 pm:

Chris, Ford quit supplying speedometers in 1915 because the makers couldn't supply them fast enough, but there were aftermarket speedometers made for Fords. Russ Furstnow is the speedometer expert. He does beautiful restorations, and he's written a book on them. It shows which units are correct by year. An original speedometer is expensive, but it doesn't drop out from poor satellite reception, and you don't lose your odometer mileage because of a dead battery.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Thursday, August 04, 2016 - 02:24 pm:

Ford dealers continued to supply speedometers to any Model T buyer who wanted one through the end of production. Many of the T's from the 1920's received a Stewart speedometer, they are plentiful and cheap on eBay.

I needed a speedometer in Popeye, my 1923, because original speedometers are cool and they work well. I bought three of them like this on eBay for about $75, one of them just to get the mounting bracket, which is harder to find than a speedometer. Here's what you want:

Examples of a correct original speedometer for your car:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Stewart-vintage-automobile-speedometer-odometer-/252482033315?hash=item3ac91a16a3:g:~wEAAOSwPRlXnN2J&vxp=mtr

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Stewart-WARNER-Speedometer-Orig-1920s-black-face-speedo-Rat-Hot-Rod-131-BZ-Rare-/222201981109?hash=item33bc4528b5:g:kUYAAOSwDV1XREl-&vxp=mtr

This is a great deal:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1930s-1940s-Stewart-Warner-Speedometers-/361646449196?hash=item5433cee22c:g:4jkAAOSwzLlXh6rh&vxp=mtr

The speedometer cable I also got on eBay for $65. You can buy a kit to make one up from Lang's for about $125.

The swivel and wheel gear was on the car when I bought it. Those parts are also easy to find on eBay, and can be had for about $200 for the whole deal if you are a careful shopper.

Here's how to make the hole in your dash:
http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/506218/558901.html

Unlike the cheesey bike speedometers, an original one adds to the value of the car, and looks great the whole time that you own it and enjoy its use.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Laughary on Thursday, August 04, 2016 - 02:49 pm:

Thx Steve & Royce!

Bidding now, but who can restore them?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Schreiber- Santa Isabel Ecuador on Thursday, August 04, 2016 - 02:55 pm:

Russ Furstnow (sp?) can. He may even already have a set up for your touring. He can be contacted thru this site

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Laughary on Thursday, August 04, 2016 - 04:38 pm:

Thank You

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Laughary on Thursday, August 04, 2016 - 04:53 pm:

Thank You

I PM'd Russ

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Thursday, August 04, 2016 - 05:19 pm:

Since the year of your car is not specified, it appears from your photo above it's probably a '20-22, with the flat dash.
I suggest you purchase the speedometer book from Russ Furstnow. I think they are available from Langs, or Russ himself. I use mine frequently.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Laughary on Thursday, August 04, 2016 - 05:51 pm:

Thx
I have a 1924 touring

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration