Champion x plug gap

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Champion x plug gap
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By dennis delano on Thursday, August 04, 2016 - 12:07 am:

is there a special tool to gap champion x plugs?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Thursday, August 04, 2016 - 12:30 am:

I've never heard of any. I use an ordinary wire gap gauge.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Deichmann, Blistrup, Denmark on Thursday, August 04, 2016 - 01:12 am:

What is the right gap measure?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Jablonski on Thursday, August 04, 2016 - 04:24 am:

Use .025"

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Deichmann, Blistrup, Denmark on Thursday, August 04, 2016 - 06:52 am:

Thanks - or 0,65 mm :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank van Ekeren (Australia) on Thursday, August 04, 2016 - 07:34 am:

If you go by Ford specs,
1/32"
converts to 0.313" or 0.7938mm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Thursday, August 04, 2016 - 07:40 am:

If you read the instructions wrapped around the X plug they recommend .025".

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Doolittle on Thursday, August 04, 2016 - 08:02 am:

This one gets it done.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank van Ekeren (Australia) on Thursday, August 04, 2016 - 08:29 am:

Champions web listings for model T's(auntique repoduction) for us metric countries go even a little closer on the gap.
The X at .6mm (0.236")
and the 25,s at .7mm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Thursday, August 04, 2016 - 10:26 am:

My experience is that .030 works better than .025, but my engines always have higher than stock compression. Ron Patterson explained it to me once, in his "engineer-speak" manner, that higher compression needs a wider gap. I thought I understood him at the time, but there's no way I can explain it now. (Maybe he will if he reads this.) Anyway, I'm now running a Haibe Giant Power head milled 1/8", and .035 works great.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Thursday, August 04, 2016 - 10:58 am:

Depends a bit on the engine and type of plug.

For my most stock, the '23 and '24, running new X's, gapped at .025" per pkg. instructions on the X's insert, the T's runs great.

For the '27, Prus head, running the cheaper Champion 25's gapped just at .030" tight, so likely about .029, runs super.

Ford Manual in '27 says gap old-style period X's at 1/32" or .031". The Service Bulletin says to gap those old time X's at about .030".

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan B on Thursday, August 04, 2016 - 04:42 pm:

Yes, there is a tool and it looks like this.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank van Ekeren (Australia) on Thursday, August 04, 2016 - 05:20 pm:

My special tool is the back of a hack-saw blade.
But boy!, do specs vary!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By dennis delano on Thursday, August 04, 2016 - 09:41 pm:

thank's, it just seemed a little difficult with my regular wheel gauge and I was afraid to break the bent piece if I moved it too many times!

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration