Almost daily

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Almost daily
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Thursday, August 04, 2016 - 08:52 am:

My roadster has become nearly a daily driver. Most days it's the car I drive to town for groceries, paying bills, etc. On these warm summer evenings I often go out exploring local roads. I don't see any point in having one of these cars and just letting it sit in the garage.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UOI1dbMYaiM

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Thursday, August 04, 2016 - 08:54 am:

Steve, that's one of your best videos yet, thankyou!

I can see one advantage of magneto headlights - they turn themselves off when you shut off the car! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Herb Iffrig on Thursday, August 04, 2016 - 08:58 am:

Well done!
I see Mr. Frugal didn't leave the light on before he went on a drive.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Schreiber- Santa Isabel Ecuador on Thursday, August 04, 2016 - 09:00 am:

Thanks for the ride Steve.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Thursday, August 04, 2016 - 09:15 am:

Great attitude Steve. I don't do that much any more, but I have been on four major tours this year.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Bohlen, Severn MD on Thursday, August 04, 2016 - 09:27 am:

Steve,

That was fabulous.
Watching that was like having a time machine.
You just took 100 years off the clock...
Great job.

Larry

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert G. Hester Jr., Riverview, FL on Thursday, August 04, 2016 - 09:43 am:

Way to go, Steve. Felt like I was back there with you for a few minutes. :-) Bob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Everett on Thursday, August 04, 2016 - 09:48 am:

Thank you for that video, Steve.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Zahorik on Thursday, August 04, 2016 - 10:01 am:

I have to agree with Steve. I enjoy driving my T and do it most of the time. When it is time to go to the post office or grocery store I fire up the T. And winter does stop a T either, it does have it's affects on me. It can get cold in the T. But if you have a T, drive it. I used to belong to the local Hudson club and their motto is "we drive our cars, we don't tow them around". That applies to Model T's too. Mike

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Schreiber- Santa Isabel Ecuador on Thursday, August 04, 2016 - 10:06 am:

When we lived in South Carolina our 27 was considered a daily diver. Weather was mild enough during the winter and during summer we just kept the top us so we were out of the sun. Plenty of old clay roads to toot along on that were seldom travelled by moderns.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jason Kuczynski on Thursday, August 04, 2016 - 10:16 am:

That's what I'd call 'livin the dream'. Well, my dream anyway. Someday.

Thanks for sharing, I needed that.

jk

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Thursday, August 04, 2016 - 10:57 am:

Steve, Nice video! I like how your magneto head lights dim down to off at the end.

I do the majority of my driving in our 1915 Roadster year round unless it's pouring outside. Our Modern cars pretty much have spider webs anchoring them to the drive way most of the time. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Gumbinger, Kenosha, WI on Thursday, August 04, 2016 - 11:09 am:

Steve makes really nice videos. :-)

Keep up the good work Steve.

Keith

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Garrison - Rice Minnesota on Thursday, August 04, 2016 - 11:41 am:

Yeah, I'm with all the others Steve. Great Video. So now, your assignment, should you decide to accept it, is to post as many of these great videos as you can. They're very enjoyable.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Thursday, August 04, 2016 - 11:59 am:

https://www.youtube.com/user/aqfarn/videos

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Garrison - Rice Minnesota on Thursday, August 04, 2016 - 12:26 pm:

Oh no Mark, we shouldn't let him off the hook that easy. We've already see a lot of the past videos but, he's getting better and better at it as time goes on. Steve B. DeMille must go on with the show! :-)

Well maybe I'm showing a little extra touch of exuberance. But I do think he does a pretty good job with his videos.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Thursday, August 04, 2016 - 12:35 pm:

One of these days I'll draft a helper and we'll do a slick video on different kinds of T era roads.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Aldrich Orting Wa on Thursday, August 04, 2016 - 12:45 pm:

I agree Steve. I do not own any "Garage Ornaments"!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Derrick Pang on Thursday, August 04, 2016 - 01:12 pm:

Sign me up when If I ever come to visit Steve!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Laughary on Thursday, August 04, 2016 - 01:25 pm:

Thank You!

Everyone's turn to post a video now.

YouTube.com/laughac

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Thursday, August 04, 2016 - 01:27 pm:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PX-YzOIc928

:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Herb Iffrig on Thursday, August 04, 2016 - 01:56 pm:

Mark you da man cudaman. Nice video too.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Schreiber- Santa Isabel Ecuador on Thursday, August 04, 2016 - 02:02 pm:

Again, thanks for the ride, this time, Mark :-) Though did I see you spinning the crank?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Thursday, August 04, 2016 - 02:21 pm:

Yep, I spun it on that video for some reason. Never fear, I usually don't. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George n LakeOzark,Missourah on Thursday, August 04, 2016 - 07:56 pm:

Ran to breakfast this morning. Haven't driven the modern stuff since I off loaded the car.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Young in Mays Landing, NJ on Thursday, August 04, 2016 - 08:11 pm:

Steve. You have an artistic eye and these videos are excellent. Love the camera angles. That evening sun is just the ticket for a guy with vision. Thank you.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Osterman on Thursday, August 04, 2016 - 11:08 pm:

I drive T nearly every day to and from work and a fair amount on the weekend as well. Given that I live in a city I'm thinking that it's one of the most frequently driven antique cars in a metropolitan area.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By bob middleton on Saturday, August 06, 2016 - 10:41 am:

Great video Mr Jeff just wish I had roads around here like that

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Everett on Saturday, August 06, 2016 - 02:16 pm:

I especially liked the four fireflies I spotted between 2:21 - 2:35.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Sean Butler Huntington Beach, CA on Saturday, August 06, 2016 - 02:39 pm:

Poor quality, shot on an old 8mm camera, 1985. Also a quick clip at the beginning of a reproduction 1903 Wright Flyer at Kitty Hawk on the 80th anniversary of the 1st flight.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Sean Butler Huntington Beach, CA on Saturday, August 06, 2016 - 02:45 pm:

It would help to include a link, I guess...
https://youtu.be/YyjksVMAqgk

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Noonan - Norton, MA. on Saturday, August 06, 2016 - 08:44 pm:

I agree with Steve, I drive mine at least 4 times a week, what could be better than a nice Summertime cruise in a Model T. :-)

One of these days I'm going to buy a GoPro to cut down on the wind noise, I told my wife holding the camera behind the windshield might help also. :-)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rhtxCPsEWBw&feature=youtu.be

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Esik on Saturday, August 06, 2016 - 08:53 pm:

Very cool.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allen Brintnall on Saturday, August 06, 2016 - 10:44 pm:

Steve: Where is the dog? I thought he liked to go for a ride. Allen Brintnall S.W. Mo.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Coiro on Saturday, August 06, 2016 - 11:44 pm:

The cinematographer does it again. Steve, you're an artist!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Sean Butler Huntington Beach, CA on Sunday, August 07, 2016 - 01:16 pm:

Steve: Your videos are quite enjoyable. As someone who has done a good share of "Solo Productions" I realize how much work and effort you actually put into them. The time taken to set up the different shot angles, especially the ones where the camera is not in the vehicle is well appreciated. Kudos again, Sir!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Sunday, August 07, 2016 - 01:49 pm:

Allen, I'm dogless again and watching the ads for a new canine. The last one ran afoul of a truck and joined my backyard pet cemetery. :-(

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C on Monday, August 08, 2016 - 11:22 pm:

That was a great video!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Skingley ......Westland, Michigan on Wednesday, August 10, 2016 - 07:36 am:

Steve great pictures....your shots of you coming and going down the road remind me of Travelogues that Stan Midgley shot with 16mm film. The Lions club would show them to raise money, very entertaining with Stan's own humor. I believe he used a bike, and took you to the Rockies or Grand Canyon, Alaska...later he would be seen on the TV Travelogue of George Pierrot in the Detroit area. Your videos do a great job of capturing what we all feel as we drive these T's........

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By george house . . .caldwell county, TX on Wednesday, August 10, 2016 - 09:05 am:

Steve, my '14 runabout has the same squeak as your '15! I wonder when Ford discontinued it? Many thanks for this morning's shot of nostalgia.....get a dog.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Horlick in Penn Valley, CA on Wednesday, August 10, 2016 - 02:26 pm:

Steve, sorry to hear about your dog. I really likes seeing that Border Collie, mine always tries to do a cameo when I film.

DD in video "As the World Turns"

I also enjoy your videos. My T roadster pick-up has been my main driver for the past 20 years. Even though It has been almost ten years since I lived in Grass Valley folks there still recognize Russ T as the car in front of the "doctor's. office" on Main Street.

There are a few problems with using a T as a daily driver. Among others is contending with "modern" drivers. They can't wait ten seconds for you to pull over in a safe spot and instead always choose the crest of a hill on a sharp turn with no shoulder to pass across the double yellow line... cutting you off when the oncoming truck spooks them back onto our side of the road. They can't put the cell phone down!... They don't understand hand signals and pass you as you are signalling a left turn.

The big thing with using the T as a daily drive is the wear and tear. A couple of months ago I had to do an engine overhaul: rings,lap valves, replace low drum, balance everything, on and on. Today I am installing two new tires and have found that almost all the spokes have shims on them ... after rebuilding those wheels only 4 years ago...our potholed dirt road really does a job on them. I have discovered that my tie rod and king ping bushings are now completely worn out and the "Wabble of Death" has come back.

As a surprise I have found that with the progressive addition of spoke shims as a wheel loosens and starts to clack the wheel goes out of round and you go bump, bump, bump down the road. Yesterday I spent a couple of hours on the right front wheel and pulled all the shims out. Then by carefully replacing the shims I was able to reduce the out of round down to almost zero (I would have said "true the wheel" but the shims and spoke length do not determine trueness but do determine concentricity or "round - out of round").

A model T as a daily driver is usually very enjoyable, but you end up with a whole lot of constant maintenance/repair needed!

TH

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Horlick in Penn Valley, CA on Wednesday, August 10, 2016 - 02:30 pm:

Steve, sorry here's that link I tried to include:

DD at the end of "As the World Turns" video

TH

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration