Center door photo - year?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Center door photo - year?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Darel J. Leipold on Thursday, August 04, 2016 - 05:46 pm:

Found this photo (on an old post card) What year do you think it is?

Center Door

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Thomas Mullin on Thursday, August 04, 2016 - 06:14 pm:

1919 or later - no oil lights.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Thursday, August 04, 2016 - 06:22 pm:

Late '21/'22/'23 based upon the door handle, and window "surrounds" (modern word, but works). Of course, the door handle could have been changed, and I could be wrong about the window frames looking like steel (earlier ones were painted wood, and usually show deterioration by a couple years fading). Car also looks to be a couple years old based upon a few added touches, like the curtains inside, and what appears to be an after-market sun visor. Rear tire looks nearly new, front tire a couple years old. No knowing the hows and whys of all the tire changes that may have occurred.
Great photo! I love center-door sedans.
Drive carefully, and enjoy, W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker in Sumter SC on Thursday, August 04, 2016 - 08:28 pm:

Wayne,

Assuming (that gets us in trouble sometimes) that none of the parts except for tires have been replaced -- I believe it would most likely be a mid-to late 1922 to 1923 based on the "L" door handle.

Bruce McCalley in his CD and also on page 297 of his book "Model T Ford" comments: The doors on the 1919 car are similar to those on the 1922. The major difference is the outside handles, which are the bail type instead of the "T" type. the bail handles were used from 1915 until about 1921; the "T" type in 1921 to 1922; then the "L" type from 1922 on."

On page 293 he has, "door handles are listed at 9058 (black) 1915-1918, 9058B (nickel) 1919-1920, 9058C ("T" handle) in 1921, and 9058D ("L" handle) in 1922-23.

On page 292 Bruce comments that the "lever & notches" window holding design was introduced in 1922. And I believe I can see those levers -- note the areas circled in the original photo below:

Bruce also points out that the 1922 Centerdoor in his article had a Jan 21, 1922 casting date and was serial number 5,699,521 (engine recorded on the engine logs for Feb 8, 1922) but it still had the old style body with the painted wooden window sills and the strap lifts for the windows. Bruce commented, "David Simmering's 1922 sedan, a classic example of why one can't absolutely define a certain year Ford."

Respectfully submitted,

Hap l9l5 cut off

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker in Sumter SC on Thursday, August 04, 2016 - 08:38 pm:

oops -- photo is below -- what I believe are the latching levers are circled.

Below are the levers shown on David Smith's 1922 Centerdoor (Thank you David for sharing the photos):

Respectfully added,

Hap l9l5 cut off

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Friday, August 05, 2016 - 12:01 am:

Thanks Hap! I thought that was probably the window latch handle too. But I wasn't sure enough to mention it. I am sure that you are right from your photo enlargement. I always enjoy your additions.
Drive carefully, and enjoy, W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker in Sumter SC on Friday, August 05, 2016 - 07:22 am:

Wayne,

We all learn more as we share what we observe. Tom got us started with 1919 or later, you put it late 1921-1923, and the window latches place it 1922-23.

And the key point from Bruce was that the 1922 Centerdoor in his article still had the old style body with the window straps and outside wood window trim. There was almost always overlap with Ford as he brought out new parts and used up the remaining old style parts.

Respectfully submitted,

Hap l9l5 cut off

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration