Roller timer bearing?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Roller timer bearing?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Eddie on Thursday, August 04, 2016 - 06:46 pm:

I recall seeing a post where someone has rebuilt their roller timer, replacing the steel roller with a ball bearing. Sounds like a good idea, however doesn't the roller have to conduct current? Wouldn't a bearing be somewhat non conductive?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Cascisa - Poulsbo, Washington on Thursday, August 04, 2016 - 06:57 pm:

Dave,

I did that once a long time ago. I believe it is a R4 Bearing. I think they are about the smallest general purpose bearing you can get that thew auto parts store.

I ran one for a couple years. A bearing is not made to conduct electricity. After two years the outer ring of the bearing was eroded away from constant sparking.

Other than that it worked well.

Be_Zero_Be

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Thursday, August 04, 2016 - 07:34 pm:

I had Bob's experience with wear on the outside of the bearing. That surface is meant to be stationary in the correct application, the wear being within the bearing. I had not considered the sparking contributing to the erosion.

As an aside, in a presentation to our local car club, a representative of a bearing company related a tale of woe regarding driveshaft bearings in a particular truck. It would regularly chew our driveshaft bearings every 30,000 mile or so. It took them 5 or 6 replacements before they discovered the wear was caused by electrical erosion. The answer was to switch the battery earth cables to the opposite chassis rail.

Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George n LakeOzark,Missourah on Thursday, August 04, 2016 - 08:02 pm:

Try this.
http://mtfctulsa.com/Tech/timer_restoration.htm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Verne Shirk on Thursday, August 04, 2016 - 08:10 pm:

I had the same experience with electrical erosion on the one I modified to ball bearings. Roller bearings are not a good thing in this application.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-SE Georgia on Friday, August 05, 2016 - 07:17 am:

If you're seeing it on the outside, imagine what it must look like on the balls and the inside of the races.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration