Have you ever purchased a vehicle from a distance & didn't fit!!!

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Have you ever purchased a vehicle from a distance & didn't fit!!!
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Esik on Thursday, August 04, 2016 - 10:22 pm:

I did!
I don't fit in my Speedster.
Damn it!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Freighter Jim on Thursday, August 04, 2016 - 10:37 pm:

Mike,

Don't feel bad ...

A couple years ago I hauled this fully restored 1958 Corvette from California to Iowa ...

Life long dream car for the new owner.

He could not fit in it ...

Which - was much to the delight of his 16 year old grandson .... :-)

Freighter Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Harper - Keene, NH on Thursday, August 04, 2016 - 11:09 pm:

Ayuh, one of the reasons I don't have a torpedo; I can't fully depress the pedals.

And in the opposite direction, I have seen a few Very Tall fellows somehow shoehorn themselves into a touring or runabout and they look as if the are in a kiddie car.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Hagerty on Thursday, August 04, 2016 - 11:34 pm:

Mike, So... how are you going to solve the problem?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Laughary on Friday, August 05, 2016 - 12:14 am:

Been there with a car that I loved until I saw my reflection towering out of it like a giraffe in a bathtub.

Can you somehow remount the seat further back?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard E Moore Jr. Pickwick lake Tenn. on Friday, August 05, 2016 - 05:16 am:

I'm not sure about the torpedo but my 11 runabout has more leg room than the 24.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Friday, August 05, 2016 - 08:58 am:

At 6'4" the president towers over everybody else in the picture. George McClellan barely comes up to his chin. Most people were small by today's standards. Fifty-five years later, when the Model T was designed, they still were. In the ensuing century people have not only become taller, but the overweight epidemic has made them wider too. Most theaters have modern seats, but if you sit in one from a century ago you'll notice the difference.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charlie B actually in Toms River N.J. on Friday, August 05, 2016 - 09:17 am:

Actually McClellan didn't come up to his boots.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Wells, Hamilton Ontario on Friday, August 05, 2016 - 09:50 am:

Ever since the day I sat in a Miata at the auto show and almost needed help to get out, I've learned to test fit any classic I'm considering buying. If there is no comfort at all, I cross it off my list for life. The '20 and later Model Ts with oval gas tanks and lower seat frames don't work for me. The '19 and earlier cars are near perfect.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Friday, August 05, 2016 - 10:27 am:

I had the hots for the Mazda RX-7 when they first came out, so I went to a dealer to try one out. My fat butt wouldn't fit between the front seat bolsters! That killed the deal immediately. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Spaziano, Bellflower, CA. on Friday, August 05, 2016 - 12:12 pm:

I used to work with a guy that restored '49-'51 Ford Crestliners. He did beautiful work.

One day, I was out tooling around the area in my '26 Touring and decided to stop by his place and check out the latest project.

As I was getting ready to leave, I asked my co-worker if he'd like a ride. Without hesitation, he answered "Sure".

Jim was easily 6' and then some so, he managed to squeeze into the front seat of my car (top up, mind you) and we went for a short drive.

When we returned to his place, he un-folded himself as he exited my car and made the statement "I've always wanted one of these, but not anymore".

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Coiro on Friday, August 05, 2016 - 12:28 pm:

Certainly, not all Model T Fords are created equal in that respect. _Being long of leg and wide of girth, that mattered to me when I was shopping around for a Flivver.

I remember, as an avaricious 5th-grader, earnestly praying to God that when I grew up, I'd have a Corvette (as if the Good Lord didn't have more important things with which to concern Himself). _Turned out that once I'd grown up, I had also grown out. _Any attempt at funneling myself into a '63 'Vette Split-window Coupe would have only been a pants-splitting exercise in slapstick.

Okay, back to the 21st Century: _A little research turned up that pretty much all brass Model T Ford Tourings had sufficient leg-room for the driver, particularly the 1913 and '14 model-years. _The 1915s and '16's were almost as good in that department, so when an exceptional deal on a '15 came up, I made the purchase and never regretted it.

Some of the black cars are a very different story, however and a little experience with other people's cars served as notice that the pedal and brake-lever geometry of some Tourings built in the '20s leave absolutely no place to put your feet.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Layden Butler on Friday, August 05, 2016 - 12:31 pm:

In 1968 I was in the Chevrolet dealership drooling over the Corvettes with a friend who was dreaming of buying one. My left knee wouldn't go far enough up between the steering wheel and the drivers door panel to let me but my foot on the clutch pedal ( it was a 4 speed of course).

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Friday, August 05, 2016 - 12:45 pm:

Along with what Mike Spaziano said, that is the reason I dislike 26-7 open cars. I'm 6'3", and there just isn't enough room to sit comfortably behind the wheel. Also, getting in the left door with the hand brake in the way is a problem too.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Friday, August 05, 2016 - 12:46 pm:

When we lived in KY I did some work on a friends MG "spridget" I could not get into it unless the top was down, and even then it was a chore.

When I was a Teen I fit behind the wheel of the T.

When we go the T NH in 2011 I found that the T had shrunk and I needed to move the driver's seat back a bit.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Freighter Jim on Friday, August 05, 2016 - 01:00 pm:

Fred,

Few guys would have the nerve to post that picture.

Even fewer would enlarge it to show detail ...

Salud ...

Freighter Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard E Moore Jr. Pickwick lake Tenn. on Friday, August 05, 2016 - 02:15 pm:

I used to be 6'1 and had to spend the night in a snow storm in a rest area in my 72 vette. Not enough leg room and the seats were like sitting on a grilled cheese sandwich. Sold it to a short go go dancer.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tyrone Thomas - Topeka KS on Friday, August 05, 2016 - 02:19 pm:

OMG yes. Drove 800 miles one way to buy a speedster. I was so tired of driving, we just loaded it and I was gone. Got home, began to seat in it and could not.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Barrett in Auburn Ca. on Friday, August 05, 2016 - 02:51 pm:

My Father in Law has a Miata. I can't get in it, I have to put it on like a shoe.
A speedster is by nature a custom built car. So customize it some more. Lower the column and move the seats back. I have done it to a few of them, some are easier than others.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Craig Anderson, central Wisconsin on Friday, August 05, 2016 - 07:36 pm:

I wanted a '65 Mustang and bought one........REAL fun ride but it's so low to the ground I have to slide my butt down the seat back to get into it and getting out is even worse.......ARGH
My back never was all that great and it's less great now so........it needs to go.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Derek Kiefer - Mantorville, MN on Friday, August 05, 2016 - 07:48 pm:

Finally an advantage for us short guys. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Esik on Friday, August 05, 2016 - 09:00 pm:

Thank You all for the great replies and stories.

I am so saddened by all this.
What I must do to drive safely is take the brake/clutch handle and move it outside. It rubs against my leg terribly.

I would need at least 2-3 more inches of legroom as well.
I have a round tank right behind the seats. I was hoping by buying an oval one might give me more room to move the seat back.
The car just sits in the garage and I love it and want so badly to drive it.
Just finished a 10year long Divorce and purchased this for living through it.
So frustrated that the car is now only a static display.
It's such a sweet car.
Heavy Sigh.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Esik on Friday, August 05, 2016 - 09:06 pm:

Thank You all for the great replies and stories.

I am so saddened by all this.
What I must do to drive safely is take the brake/clutch handle and move it outside. It rubs agains my leg terribly.

I would need at least 2-3 more inches of legroom as well.
I have a round tank right behind the seats. I was hoping by buying an oval one might give me more room to move the seat back.
The car just sits in the garage and I love it and want so badly to drive it.
Just finished a 10year long Divorce and purchased this for living through it.
So frustrated that the car is now only a static display.
It's such a sweet car.
Heavy Sigh.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Esik on Friday, August 05, 2016 - 09:07 pm:

-btw,I'm only 5'11".

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Seth in Alabama on Friday, August 05, 2016 - 09:13 pm:

Don't be frustrated! Just fix it! No reason you can't tweak your car so that it works for you.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Friday, August 05, 2016 - 09:43 pm:

Moving the brake handle outwards helps a lot. Another simpler thing to try before you move the seat is to flip the steering wheel upside down.. It helped me to fit with my knees in my primitive pickup. A simple bracket on the throttle lever keeps it in reach for the fingers :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Eckensviller - Thunder Bay, ON on Friday, August 05, 2016 - 10:06 pm:

Put me down as another big guy who likes tiny cars. I may be 6'5" but some day I'll have the T-series MG of my dreams...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Barrett in Auburn Ca. on Friday, August 05, 2016 - 10:07 pm:

Mike, is it possible to show us some pictures? Without seeing the car it's hard to help much. Is there something that prevents you from moving the tank back for more room to move the seats? It is possible to heat and bend the brake handle outward, done it many times. It would depend on if the handle has to fit inside of whatever cowl or firewall you have. I am 6'2" and have built two speedsters to fit. On those I moved the brake lever outwards and 8" back so I don't have to reach forward for it. Keep the faith, Mike, we are here to help. I wish you were closer, I would be all over it for you. PM me if I can help in any way.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By bob middleton on Friday, August 05, 2016 - 10:15 pm:

I known few guy run smaller steering wheel in my model A I had tie down the seat springs
If there's a will usually there's a way

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Esik on Saturday, August 06, 2016 - 08:13 pm:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Esik on Saturday, August 06, 2016 - 08:17 pm:

I hope this helps some.
Thank Gents for your replies.
Very appreciated.8^)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Freighter Jim on Saturday, August 06, 2016 - 08:29 pm:

Mike,

Call Tom Butterworth ...

He builds speedster bodies & might have a solution.

248-227-1008

Freighter Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Saturday, August 06, 2016 - 08:56 pm:

Wow, that IS close; but it looks like you could easily move the seat or both seats back some, and still have a good-looking speedster.
Yes, it will take some doing, but then you can enjoy the car!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Esik on Saturday, August 06, 2016 - 09:21 pm:

It's difficult to tell in the pics. but the seats are butted up against the gas tank.
Thank YOU FJ for the info.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Saturday, August 06, 2016 - 09:39 pm:

Mike

That is a tight spot! :-(

Hope what I see isn't the frame 'zee'd' in that part right behind the seat. The gas tank seems to be up on the upper part of the frame, and the frame seems to be lower under the seat base section of the body. That will make it hard to move the seats back.

Most times lowering the frame with a 'z' is done closer to the rear cross member.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Esik on Saturday, August 06, 2016 - 09:49 pm:

What to do?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Seth in Alabama on Saturday, August 06, 2016 - 09:50 pm:

Get that handbrake outside, that will help a lot. Plus it looks cool.

It's not hard, I just used some longer bolts, some metal tubing as basically super long washers, and welded some longer 3/4" rod for the lever.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Seth in Alabama on Saturday, August 06, 2016 - 09:52 pm:

Can you post a photo of the side of your car - similar to the second one Dan posted?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Esik on Saturday, August 06, 2016 - 09:54 pm:

Thank You.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Esik on Saturday, August 06, 2016 - 09:57 pm:

How the owner and his wife is beyond me?!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Esik on Saturday, August 06, 2016 - 10:04 pm:

Again-How the previous owner and his wife fit...is beyond me.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Seth in Alabama on Saturday, August 06, 2016 - 10:12 pm:

The handbrake outside will make a huge difference. When I finally did it I realized it was one of my favorite things I've ever done. I don't know how I functioned before that.

Once you do that, see how it is, then I'd start eyeballin how to move the seats back. It's odd the frame is Zd so far forward, but it just means you'll have to be more inventive in how you move the seat back. It's hard to say for sure without the car in front of me, but I bet you can move that toolbox and gas tank back and ultimately the seats.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Esik on Saturday, August 06, 2016 - 10:16 pm:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Esik on Saturday, August 06, 2016 - 10:21 pm:

Picture of frame behind seat.
Picture of mechanism for the clutch/brake outside the car.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Barrett in Auburn Ca. on Saturday, August 06, 2016 - 10:23 pm:

OK Mike, there are some challenges here. The Zee in the frame right behind the seat is the big one. The tank and tool box would not be a problem to move back. To move the seats back you may have to notch them for the frame. Also, leaning them back will give more room. You will certainly want to move the brake outside and maybe back. That would be more comfortable even with the seats where they are.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Seth in Alabama on Saturday, August 06, 2016 - 10:24 pm:

Actually, one thing you could try pretty easily without changing much is make some brackets that lower the gas tank - that will give your seats some more realestate to move back. There's plenty of room for them to come back a good ways. You could grind off that extra frame rail on top all the way back to gas tank bracket, lower the tank, and the seats will probably come back 3-4 inches which should make a huge difference for you at the pedals. I think you have lots of options without having to do any real major changes.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Esik on Saturday, August 06, 2016 - 10:45 pm:

Thank You so much Gentlemen.

I've worked on every car I had but for some reason this one scares me. So old and such a jewel /dream of mine.

Seth, you mean grind off the L shaped beam?
I imagine that the flat beam is only used for a flat platform.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Esik on Saturday, August 06, 2016 - 11:03 pm:

Thanks for the Education tonight Fella's.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Seth in Alabama on Saturday, August 06, 2016 - 11:14 pm:

Once the gas tank is out of the way, grind off from that red line towards the front of the car, then move seats back until they are touching the frame right there.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Saturday, August 06, 2016 - 11:21 pm:

Jim,

I am too old to be concerned about what people think.
In fact I am old enough to have the wisdom that we only get with age and experience.
Someday the young guys will understand, but until then I can only say stop being stupid.

On the other hand my mom use to say that some people never grow up.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Esik on Saturday, August 06, 2016 - 11:26 pm:

8^)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Esik on Sunday, August 07, 2016 - 12:54 am:

@Fred Dimock.

?????????

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Sunday, August 07, 2016 - 01:55 am:

Mike, while it IS a very neat-looking speedster, it's now yours and you can make it the way you want. I like the idea of cutting that extension off but I also think that battery location is problematic: difficult to get to to service and very close to the gas tank. Think I'd move it to a box outside the frame, al la TT. If you can't get enough room with that tank, you might want to go to an oval tank.
I can't figure out how they fit either!! How is the leg room right now? That looks like a very long cowl. Perhaps (uh oh, this may be blasphemy) but maybe you could cut the curve to more like an S to get room to get one's legs into the vehicle. This would also look very cool too!
I know, after getting it here, seems a shame to have to do so many changes, but then every speedster is the creation of the owner or creator.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Plank - Three Way, TN on Sunday, August 07, 2016 - 12:41 pm:

Mike, when I was building my speedster, I bought two speedster seats like yours to use. I'm not a big guy, but I found them to be a very tight fit and didn't allow enough room for easy entry and exit. I ended up building a bench seat instead and now have plenty of room. I can slide my behind back farther and my shoulders are not confined by the sides of the seat. I can slide in under the steering wheel with no problem. I did this without moving the tank back or making any other changes. I liked the look of the speedster seats, I just couldn't use them.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Sunday, August 07, 2016 - 01:15 pm:

Gee I guess I'm Just lucky to be 5'10" I haven't been in a "T" yet that I couldn't get reasonably comfortable or had trouble reaching the pedals. My "Little" brother on the other hand can't get in my '27 RPU because there isn't enough leg room, even on the passenger side! He is only 6'6" and with his size 13 feet the floor boards aren't big enough (his description)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Sunday, August 07, 2016 - 01:17 pm:

Taking this another direction, how many people have bought a new vehicle (or house) only
to discover the vehicle would not fit in the garage ... door too low, garage not deep enough
to close the door ???

I can answer "yes" to both. I considered 10' doors on the new shop, but it messed with my
code height restriction for the whole building, so I compromised at 8'. No issues with the TT's,
but who knows what this fool will drag home next ... a 1912 Packard truck or Apperson (?).

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Sunday, August 07, 2016 - 02:41 pm:

Bottom line, remove everything behind the seats and mount the seats as needed for comfort. Then starting with the gas tank, re-mount it as needed and re-mount the trunk accordingly. If it hasn't been mentioned, you may need to use an oval gas tank to pick up needed space for the seat relocation.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Sunday, August 07, 2016 - 02:42 pm:

Also, consider eliminating the trunk and mounting the gas tank there instead. That should make lots of space to move the seats back.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Esik on Sunday, August 07, 2016 - 09:17 pm:

Thanks again Gents..You are a Golden.

Just to state: I have driven the car around the block a few times. I tried to get it in high gear but it was very awkward to move the stick forward with my leg butted up against it.
I had to take my shoes off though and sit with bent legs. This also caused more of a problem for my left leg being rubbed hard by the brake/clutch handle.
Like I said-I am only 5'11". (?)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Sunday, August 07, 2016 - 10:31 pm:

Mike

Those are good suggestions.

For one, that battery should be moved, under the gas tank isn't the best place. Years ago made a speedster and placed the battery in the tool box on the rear. Today's Optima 6v are very small, can even be placed sideways as they are sealed.

By removing that battery tray bracket, and cutting off the angle iron the rear deck is sitting on, you will have room to move the seats back.

Also you can place a wedge shaped wood under the front edges of those seats to tilt them back, that will give room too.

Angled bucket seat.

So maybe you can get the space by relocating the battery, shifting that round tank back, and tilting the seats. Then put the clutch/brake lever outboard and should have fun then :-)

Really nice speedster you have!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Esik on Sunday, August 07, 2016 - 10:38 pm:

Thanks!

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration