23(ish) Closed Car Cowl Plans?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: 23(ish) Closed Car Cowl Plans?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jason Kuczynski on Friday, August 05, 2016 - 12:08 pm:

Good afternoon all!

Does anyone close to Metro Detroit have either old wood or the plans for JUST a closed car cowl? They don't need to be perfect, the cowl is going on something on the order of a doodlebug. I just have the metal, and really don't want to buy a full set of plans for just the few parts I need.

Or if anyone has any recommendations, I'm up for those also.

Thanks in advance,

Jason

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Page on Friday, August 05, 2016 - 03:43 pm:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jason Kuczynski on Saturday, August 06, 2016 - 06:48 am:

Thanks! That is a HUGE help! At least now I can visualize how the parts need to look.

Thanks again!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker in Sumter SC on Sunday, August 07, 2016 - 06:57 pm:

Jason,

If you are not planning to put a hood on the doodlebug then you can mix and match different 1917-1923 cowl/firewall widths and 1924-25 cowl/firewall widths with the 1917-1923 low radiator or 1924-25 (actually goes 1924-1927) high radiator.

And you need to match the cowl size with the firewall -- although if you are building the firewall you can build it to match whatever you have.

Below are the firewall dimensions courtesy of Phil Mino:

Note also that the Centerdoor and Fordor sedans were both sold in 1923. As well as the 1924 Fordor sedan was sold in the later part of 1923 as a 1924 model year car. And the Coupes were also considered closed cars and they varied from the other cowls. And there were lots of other early cowls about the same size as the Model T Fords. As long as you have a matching left and right you should be fine.

You might want to consider just having a flat wooden firewall rather than working to rewood the front of a closed car cowl area.

Respectfully submitted,

Hap l9l5 cut off

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Sunday, August 07, 2016 - 08:06 pm:

and to muddle things more, the early 4 door in 1923 was the low firewall.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jason Kuczynski on Monday, August 08, 2016 - 06:05 am:

Hap, that is a great help also. The pictures are worth a million bucks.

I came to the same conclusion about the firewall... it just seems like a better idea. Thanks for the confirmation. ;)

I'll save the cowl for something else down the road.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration