Ford Model T Forum Great Britain

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Ford Model T Forum Great Britain
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Colin Watt - Bedfordshire UK on Friday, August 05, 2016 - 04:32 pm:

I notice that there is a new forum for UK owners of Model T Fords at www.modelt.co.uk

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Ohio on Friday, August 05, 2016 - 04:58 pm:

You've got that backwards...If there is any independence between the United Kingdom and the colonies we will separate from you not you from us! :-)

Good luck with the new UK forum it looks grand.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By mtfgb on Saturday, August 06, 2016 - 07:04 am:

I can assure you all we are not looking to separate from anyone (cough maybe the EU but that's a touchy subject).

I love this forum and use it a lot and will continue to use it. People I have spoken to on the GB forum have also said they love this forum, will always us it and everyone on it is full of knowledge and is not afraid to share and help.

It is more for specific English T specification questions which get lost in translations some times. There's no competition, its all about helping everyone.

Absolutely everyone is welcome so please do join in.

Not only that, why we have not had one for so long is amazing. There are many clubs and forums throughout the world for Model T's in specific Countries so we now have one for the English Model T. Not that there was a major, major difference but even so.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charlie B actually in Toms River N.J. on Saturday, August 06, 2016 - 08:28 am:

Might be an excellent place for right hand drive info. Good Luck.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Pawelek Brookshire, Texas on Saturday, August 06, 2016 - 08:38 am:

"Specific English T specification questions which get lost in translations some times"

Are you inferring we do not know or understand English? :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Saturday, August 06, 2016 - 08:46 am:

I had a co-worker from London that used to say we are
Two countries divided by a common language.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By mtfgb on Saturday, August 06, 2016 - 09:05 am:

No not at all Michael I think you are taking it completely out of context!

There is differences between a US built model T and an English built model T.
Vans included. The English Delivery van is very different to a C cab for a small example.

(Message edited by mtfgb on August 06, 2016)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jem Bowkett, Spalding United Kingdom on Saturday, August 06, 2016 - 11:15 am:

mtfgb, you have to understand that Michael is a Polish Texan, which gives him a quirky sense of humour. ;^)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By mtfgb on Saturday, August 06, 2016 - 11:34 am:

Thank you Jem. Its hard to tell over the net if its serious or humour.

(Message edited by mtfgb on August 06, 2016)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Saturday, August 06, 2016 - 12:07 pm:

I registered but apparently moderators have not given me approval to post anything yet :-(

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By mtfgb on Saturday, August 06, 2016 - 12:13 pm:

Hi Royce. You should be good to go now.

The first post needs to be checked to make sure its not a spam bot.
I think yours was checked and approved 10 mins ago so your be good to go now for the future.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Saturday, August 06, 2016 - 12:14 pm:

Thanks!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Freighter Jim on Saturday, August 06, 2016 - 02:40 pm:

Very nice format on your forum ...

Freighter Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Burg on Saturday, August 06, 2016 - 03:17 pm:

Nice Form, I hope it is a success

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve in Tennessee on Saturday, August 06, 2016 - 07:11 pm:

well you know we speak amuricun over here. Ya'll need to learn to write good if we want them to stay.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Lodge - St Louis MO on Saturday, August 06, 2016 - 07:40 pm:

I cannot help but think that a British Model T forum cries out for puns. "T." Tea." Well, you get the picture.... :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Saturday, August 06, 2016 - 08:48 pm:

Dick, not really, at least not until 4 o'clock!
:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Doug Keppler, Fredon NJ on Saturday, August 06, 2016 - 10:20 pm:

Hey Dick how about throw another shrimp on the barby oh wait that's Australian they're accents just sound the same

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Lodge - St Louis MO on Saturday, August 06, 2016 - 11:06 pm:

In 1961, my college roommate and I took a charter flight to England, bought Lambretta 125 cc scooters and set out to explore. We were up north at one point and stopped in a pub in the country for lunch. There were two men at the next table having a lively discussion and we hadn't a clue what they were talking about. This may explain why.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ScELaXMCVis

Remind me again how we speak the same language... :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Craig Anderson, central Wisconsin on Saturday, August 06, 2016 - 11:34 pm:

Looks like Americans already have the Brits outnumbered........ :-O ....... LOL

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Owens on Saturday, August 06, 2016 - 11:58 pm:

Well when I put a part on my T I install it. The Brits offer it up. I had to reread my Triumph book 3 times to figure what they were saying. Scott

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Me on Sunday, August 07, 2016 - 01:44 am:

Dick even some of us struggle with that over here so your not alone. It is nice to see they still speak that way though.

Hey now. Nothing wrong with a good Cuppa T :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By mtfgb on Sunday, August 07, 2016 - 03:25 am:

Becoming a nice little community already. Thanks all.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Sunday, August 07, 2016 - 03:28 am:

Give your hood the boot, drop the top onto the bonnet, and scuttle the wings!
I can make no sense in two languages, both of them English.
Seriously, don't take offense by the warped sense of humor some of us "Amuricuns" have. I drink tea almost every day. Love my Anglo-Saxon ancestry. Like British cars, especially their model T Fords, and British humor as well.
That new forum looks really nice, and should fill a gap needing expertise.
I will look at it more later.
(Sometimes I like puns with my Tea!)
Drive carefully, and enjoy, W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jason Kuczynski on Sunday, August 07, 2016 - 06:57 am:

I spent three weeks in June over there (Basildon/Dunton Tech Centre) on Mr. Ford's dime.

I'll second the whole "huh'? thing when trying to communicate. Luckily, the girls at the hotel bar were very understanding and learned to speak R E A L L Y S L O W L Y when they asked anything so I'd understand. ;)

Congrats on the new forum, and good luck!

jk

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Sunday, August 07, 2016 - 05:00 pm:

I have about a dozen "favorite subjects" to study and learn about. Linguistics, and variations of cultural heritage are both among them.

(I had to think of a constructive comment to make in order to bump this back near the top) (My first post here was a bit snide. And I do want to help promote this thing.)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Sunday, August 07, 2016 - 09:16 pm:

Doug, if you think the Brits and Aussies have the same accents, you need your ears tuned! On one of our trips to the States, I had great difficulty ordering a hamburger at a stand in Spokane. In the end, my wife made the order and the fellow behind the counter made the comment that I talked too fast for him. I countered that he didn't listen fast enough! We have great fun teasing one another with our friends over there.

Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Sunday, August 07, 2016 - 10:32 pm:

Registered about this time yesterday and still waiting to be approved.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By mtfgb on Monday, August 08, 2016 - 03:39 am:

Jay
You need to activate your account. When you register, It sends you an email with a link and then you need to click that link ;-) Check the spam folder just in case.

Any problems if people can email that would be better. I do not want support on mtfca as it is a little unfair on the forum. You can email using the link at the bottom of the forum. It Should say contact us.

Jay any problems please do not hesitate to email and I will do my best to help and get you going on the forum.

The Brits and Ozzys are definitely not the same accents but I do love an Aussie accent and can certainly understand the accent.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Monday, August 08, 2016 - 09:50 am:

English lesson: The speaker implies; the listener infers. It's the same on either side of the pond.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Monday, August 08, 2016 - 10:47 am:

Thanks mtfgb! It was my error. Didn't realize user names were case sensitive. Managed to post a hello and just waiting for approval.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By mtfgb on Monday, August 08, 2016 - 11:54 am:

No problem Jay. All done and approved.

Steve I completely agree.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Monday, August 08, 2016 - 02:47 pm:

Used to have a neighbor in the Chicago suburb where I grew up whom I told, when I was 7 or 8 years old, that I was "half Swiss, half Swede and half English! He never let me forget it!

Actually, English on my Mother's side...."Wadsworth", and I have cousins in England (Yorkshire) and Australia (Sydney area) and we have lots of good-natured fun in our family in regard to "American English", "Australian English", and of course, what my cousins in Harrogate, Yorkshire England call,...."The King's English"! Yes,.....it's fun,.........harold

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Cole ---- Earth on Monday, August 08, 2016 - 02:52 pm:

Shucks I live here in the US and I still have to get people to speak S L O W L Y so I can understand them.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Monday, August 08, 2016 - 02:54 pm:

Actually, to be more specific, if it's of any interest to anybody, my grandfather was from Bradford, Yorkshire, and my grandmother was from Salford, near Manchester, Lancashire. I come from a "railroad" family, and that started in England (where railroads started) and it is suspected that my great grandparents getting together had something to do with the fact that Bradford and Salford were connected by the LNRR railroad (Lancashire & Yorkshire).

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Monday, August 08, 2016 - 02:58 pm:

An American in Sydney was struck by a tram and woke up in the hospital. In considerable pain, he moaned, "Oh, did I come here to die?" The nurse replied, "Oh, no suh. You kyme heah yestadye."

How's that for drift?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Me on Monday, August 08, 2016 - 02:58 pm:

You should be on Ancestry with all that info Harold. Taking me ages to find any info on that site. I am now down to needing to go to a local church to find records :-/

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration