Old Photo - A Busy Ford Repair Shop

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Old Photo - A Busy Ford Repair Shop
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Friday, August 05, 2016 - 08:17 pm:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan B on Friday, August 05, 2016 - 08:35 pm:

Imagine how good you would have gotten working on these cars back then since they were basically the same machine from the beginning of production.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Garrison - Rice Minnesota on Friday, August 05, 2016 - 09:34 pm:

"clean white uniforms"?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Wells, Hamilton Ontario on Friday, August 05, 2016 - 09:48 pm:

Looks to be 1923 cars. What a great photo. Thanks Jay.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Garrison - Rice Minnesota on Friday, August 05, 2016 - 09:51 pm:

I'm kind of wondering if the caption should read modern device or modern vise. The only device I see is the vise.

I agree, it's a great photo!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary H. White - Sheridan, MI on Friday, August 05, 2016 - 11:05 pm:

"A busy Ford Repair Shop." Most were.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Owens on Friday, August 05, 2016 - 11:51 pm:

Ever see a work bench that clean? Even the floor is spotless.
Must be a posed photo. Scott

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Saturday, August 06, 2016 - 12:09 am:

The floor appears to be wood. Look at the area immediately around "cake pan" under the very first car on the right - there are lines indicating planks. There is probably so much dirt, grease and motor oil staining that all that splotchiness looks somewhat uniform in the photo.

I was at an estate sale this morning in south Minneapolis - the house was built in 1920. The concrete floor in the garage was so dirty and uniformly black I actually thought it was asphalt when I first looked at it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Craig Anderson, central Wisconsin on Saturday, August 06, 2016 - 12:48 am:

Having a garage full of broken Fords isn't exactly sending the right message........ :-O

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Me on Saturday, August 06, 2016 - 07:19 am:

I love seeing repair shop photo's. I think the same could be said for any manufacturer back then. However walk into any dealers and your see plenty of cars still on ramps etc today. Maybe for repairs or servicing.

Was it true they used to service the T every 1000 miles? Or it was recommended?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charlie B actually in Toms River N.J. on Saturday, August 06, 2016 - 08:23 am:

Saw quite a number of shops with wood floors years back. The N.Y.C. Transit (busses) machine shop/unit repair shop had a floor that was the ends of tree branches about 4" round and 2" thick glued to the concrete sub floor. Used to prevent damage to dropped parts. Two senior guys had the job of re-gluing any loose ones.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Wells, Hamilton Ontario on Saturday, August 06, 2016 - 08:24 am:

The guy in the foreground is really thinking. I bet he invented detachable ear transmission bands. Is that a doctors bag beside him? I hope he remembers to put it back where it belongs in that Coupe in the far background.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Warren Henderson, Dunbarton, NH on Saturday, August 06, 2016 - 08:59 am:

Ken, have you ever thought about having all your mechanics in clean white uniforms? I think it would look very professional.

Happy motoring,

Warren

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Longbranch,WA on Saturday, August 06, 2016 - 10:10 am:

That photo is of the William O. McKay Ford Dealer in Seattle, WA - my Gramps bought his new 1924 (12/23 engine number) TT C-Cab from there !

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Saturday, August 06, 2016 - 11:56 am:

I noticed one of the shop coats says McKay Motors. Is that the one in Seattle?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Me on Saturday, August 06, 2016 - 12:11 pm:

Got to love the chain hoist system. Nice and simple.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Saturday, August 06, 2016 - 09:30 pm:

William O. McKay was a Seattle staple for my entire childhood, but began to "circle the drain" when Detroit quit making real cars in 1970. The place was iconic with all its neon.

Semper Fi, Lt. Col. McKay !

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Monday, August 08, 2016 - 01:18 am:

Here's an interesting "service truck" used by WIlliam O. McKay Ford:

http://digitalcollections.lib.washington.edu/cdm/singleitem/collection/seattle/i d/2855/rec/1

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Monday, August 08, 2016 - 09:42 am:

I don't know the guy at the bench seems to have black stuff on his clean white uniform :-) that looks like an overhead hoist trolley system that I would love to have!

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration