OT? Nickel plating

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: OT? Nickel plating
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Nicholas Lingg - Tarboro, NC on Saturday, August 06, 2016 - 06:36 am:

Is there anyone on this Forum doing Nickel plating that is NOT using a Caswell kit?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Benedict, Humboldt, TN on Saturday, August 06, 2016 - 07:30 am:

I do. I built my nickel plating line from various components I bought or had on hand. I only do small items.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Saturday, August 06, 2016 - 08:55 pm:

Is there a reason you want someone NOT using a Caswell kit? Just curious. I found my kit affordable and (so far) quite useful--of course I use it mostly on player piano and toy train parts!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Nicholas Lingg - Tarboro, NC on Sunday, August 07, 2016 - 06:53 am:

Hi Dave: Have you priced there water heaters and Power supply's?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Sunday, August 07, 2016 - 10:25 am:

Don't go to a regular chrome shop. Their plating doesn't stay bright for long.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Whelihan Danbury, WI on Sunday, August 07, 2016 - 10:46 am:

Larry, very true. Most chrome plating shops only use nickel as a base layer after applying copper. You really have to specify "Bright Nickel" to make sure you get what you want. Also ask if they have experience doing that process.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By JohnCodman on Sunday, August 07, 2016 - 11:31 am:

New England Chrome plating in Hartford CT does a nice job of nickel plating.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Sunday, August 07, 2016 - 01:08 pm:

Nicholas,
Hmm, not in a while, and the kit I have is the "brush plating" kit--suitable for small parts, not bumpers, radiator shells, etc. Although I have not yet tried to do a steering wheel case and levers with it. YET!!
I wonder if aquarium water heaters would work??
Power supplies can be had from surplus electronics dealers---just some thoughts!

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration