Making a top from scratch

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Making a top from scratch
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Carey on Saturday, August 06, 2016 - 09:28 am:

My wife is trying to talk me into making a top from scratch. Does anybody have patterns for the top for a 23 touring?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By charley shaver- liberal,mo. on Saturday, August 06, 2016 - 10:24 am:

you can do it just make sure you have a walking foot sewing machine. charley

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Saturday, August 06, 2016 - 11:52 am:

Can't help you with a pattern, but I made one for my '13 roadster, and it came out pretty good too. This is the second one I've made. Not only do you need the walking foot, the back stitch feature is good too. I have a rebuilt Singer 211. I just don't feel good about having a Japanese sewing machine!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Saturday, August 06, 2016 - 12:17 pm:

You should be able to take measurements from another car and make your own patterns.

Here is a link to Tony Cimorelli's website. I found that it has a lot of great information on the 1923 - 25 top installation:
http://www.cimorelli.com/mtdl/projects/default.htm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Saturday, August 06, 2016 - 12:51 pm:

Sounds like a neat project! If you do take it on, please be sure to post the dimensions of your final patterns and some pictures of the various stages of the project. Who knows, it might make a good article for the Vintage Ford! (for everyone except Larry, who has already done it before (twice!))

Just kidding, Larry.... :-)

foghorn

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Laughary on Saturday, August 06, 2016 - 07:35 pm:

Tom, that sounds like a project I need to learn from.

My 1924 touring will be used for weddings, so I need to consider head room and lots of open side and rear access for pictures.

I also really like the idea of borrowing from huckster designs to hang advertisements from the sides and park it on busy street corners.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By W. Austen on Saturday, August 06, 2016 - 07:38 pm:

Model T Restoration Handbook by Les Henry has a pretty good article on how to do it

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration