Id wheels

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Id wheels
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By stuart clipson on Saturday, August 06, 2016 - 09:52 am:

hopefully someone can help id this wheel. its 24" OD
by 3" wide clincher rim. the hub is 10" at the rear and 5" at the front. the hub depth is 5 1/4" they have a 8" drum bolted on the back side. someone bashed out the cap supposedly to get the spindal nut off. thanks in advance for the help

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Pharis on Saturday, August 06, 2016 - 10:05 am:

Sure looks like a Simplex brand wheel to me. But taking a look at the wheel center/hub apart will tell for sure.

http://www.nwvs.org/Technical/MTFCA/Articles/1504WireWheels.pdf

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By stuart clipson on Saturday, August 06, 2016 - 07:18 pm:

thanks kevin

sure looks like simplex....will try to remove drums to see inside. i have 2 of them.

cheers

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By stuart clipson on Saturday, August 06, 2016 - 07:19 pm:

thanks kevin

sure looks like simplex....will try to remove drums and see inside.

cheers

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Knapp on Saturday, August 06, 2016 - 10:21 pm:

Hmmm.....just maybe.....Kol-Ben Wire Wheel ad

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Andrew Brand on Saturday, August 06, 2016 - 11:05 pm:

I believe that Simplex and Kol Ben wheels were very similar if not the same thing. Years ago I had a Kol Ben wheel and it looked identical to photos of Simplex wheels. Does anyone know the relationship between the 2 names? Perhaps it was the same manufacturer and they just changed the name they sold the wheels under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Knapp on Sunday, August 07, 2016 - 12:00 am:

Andrew, I believe you may be correct. If you look in old automotive directories, you can find Kol-Ben listed in Cadillac, Michigan in 1918 and 1920. By 1921, Simplex Wheel Company is listed in Cadillac, Michigan. At about that time there is a Simplex wheel ad bragging about the United Fuel Company of Detroit choosing Simplex wheels for their fleet of vehicles. If you look at the Kol-Ben advertisement shown above, it is showing a fleet of vehicles in front of the United Fuel Company building. All circumstantial, but it appears plausible that Simplex succeeded Kol-Ben and continued their wheel design.

The early Kol-Ben trade listings bragged that the wheel was unlocked and loosened by a "simple quarter turn" of the cap. I have never personally worked with one, so do not know which direction of quarter turn. I would recommend caution in trying to turn the cap more than that amount. There was a MTFCA discussion a few years ago from someone who was working with some Simplex wheels. Hope you can get them to release!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Knapp on Sunday, August 07, 2016 - 12:30 am:

And I just checked my 1924 Chilton directory. It lists Simplex Wire Wheel Company on Haynes Street, Cadillac, Michigan. There is no listing for Kol-Ben in this 1924 Chilton directory.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration