Light Bulb/Candle Power Question

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Light Bulb/Candle Power Question
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marty Bufalini - Grosse Pointe, MI on Saturday, August 06, 2016 - 10:29 am:

I use a 12v battery as a backup and to run my tail light/stop lights.

I use a double filament 25/8 cp 12v bulb in original converted (yet unadulterated) kerosene lamps.

The tail light never seems bright enough while the stop light by comparison is blinding.

Eventually, when I can figure it out, I'll use the lights as turn signals.

Can I use the 12v 32/50cp bulbs as a tail/stop light for a brighter tail light?

My guess is yes.

Thanks in advance.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Townsend ; ^ ) Gresham, Orygun on Saturday, August 06, 2016 - 11:05 am:

Marty-
In a word, yes. The standard 12v bulb for tail light/brake light is 1157. I'm not sure what the cp rating is.

I like to add some clip-on bike lights to the backs of my cars. They are easy & cheap.

Another option is to use LED bulbs. They use a fraction of the wattage, but spendy.

I 've just wired in this for my original converted (yet unadulterated) kerosene tail lamp:

https://www.superbrightleds.com/moreinfo/tail-brake-turn/1157-led-bulb-w-stock-c over-dual-function-36-smd-led-tower-bay15d-retrofit-car/1689/#/attributes/13

And these for my headlights:

https://www.superbrightleds.com/moreinfo/tail-brake-turn/1156-led-bulb-w-stock-c over-36-smd-led-tower-ba15s-retrofit-car/1686/

The "warm color" looks more light incandescent "Model T" type lighting. The "cool color" is a harsh bright white light.

: ^ )

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marty Bufalini - Grosse Pointe, MI on Saturday, August 06, 2016 - 11:41 am:

Thanks, Keith.

I'm just trying to be safe and the taillight is just too dim at 8cp.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Saturday, August 06, 2016 - 11:50 am:

Try painting the inside of the taillight white.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Saturday, August 06, 2016 - 12:58 pm:

Look inside the tail light housing(s). My tail lights/turn signal housings did not have a reflector behind the bulb. I glued in some aluminum foil to act as a reflector and it helped a lot. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chad Marchees _____Tax Capital, NY on Saturday, August 06, 2016 - 05:22 pm:

I painted the inside of my housings white, it made a huge difference. Still not LED bright but a very noticeable difference.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Doug Money - Braidwood, IL on Saturday, August 06, 2016 - 11:08 pm:

1157 bulbs are rated 32/3 candlepower

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Sunday, August 07, 2016 - 10:35 am:

I have a late T, and the best I can find out is the headlight bulb is an 1158, which is 21-3. I believe the original Ford bulbs were 21-2, but I've yet to find the correct number. I know Ford had TungSol make their bulbs, but that's about it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By JohnCodman on Sunday, August 07, 2016 - 11:34 am:

Larry - I assume you meant taillight, a 3 cp bulb would be so dim as to be useless.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Monday, August 08, 2016 - 11:18 am:

No, I'm talking headlight! Do your research.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marty Bufalini - Grosse Pointe, MI on Monday, August 08, 2016 - 01:20 pm:

Thanks, guys. Good suggestions.

I ordered the 50/32 cp bulbs. Hopefully, the 32cp will be bright enough to really show through the thick red lens.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration